Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/11/2016 4:41:23 PM EDT
In light of the current thread about a bargain chrono, I was wondering...How does one shoot his chrono?

I am not asking that in a snarky, smart-A way either.  I know it happens and apparently with some frequency.  I'm asking in hopes of avoiding it in some future incident.

I've only been using a chrono for about a year now.  I love it and really like the knowledge it provides.  After hearing about folks hitting the chrono in many posts over time, I've been crazy anal about setting up my gun and chrono.

I'm getting a little idea that many/most have shot theirs with a handgun when any detail was related in the story.  I've only used mine with rifles.  I shoot the rifle off of a Primos Trigger Stick bipod while sitting on a stool.  The chrono is on a heavy duty photo tripod.

I'm trying to envision how I would shoot my chrono at 12'...I'm shooting at home so I have a precise location set up for repeatability.  Are people shooting at much longer distances that contribute to this?

Again...I'm not making fun.  I may shoot mine next week.  I just don't think I've heard people state why they believe they hit their chrono while shooting, and I would like to learn to avoid it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 4:48:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm betting a lot is due to sight height over bore.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 4:59:20 PM EDT
[#2]
On most chronys there is a small upside down imaginary triangle the bullet must past through, and there is two of them , front and back.

To high, no reading.

To low no reading.

To much left or right no reading.

Put a new scope on or new gun/load and it's a recipe for a strike, and so is flinching.

I hit mine through both sensors but it survived to die another day.

It's usually only a matter of time.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 5:26:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 5:34:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Buy a Magnetospeed, or even better, a Labradar.

I shot my range bag once, using it as a rest.  No way would I buy any chrono that I had to place down range.

Everyone shoots their chrono.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 6:02:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Yep, I can confirm 55 gr Hornady FMJ will fragment on a chrono @ 12' ARs with small caliber and high line of sight are a recipe for trouble.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 6:03:31 PM EDT
[#6]
also seen ppl shoot them when they are switch from a bolt gun to an AR (as said above, scope height).

just cry once, bend over and get the magneto speed.  it is a better unit, you shouldn't be able to shoot it if you set it up right, and it needs no light to work
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 6:09:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I shot one of the rabbit ears once

It was a pal's M1A SOCOM (sweet rifle), Aimpoint on top.
Inhale, exhale, pause... bang... WTF?

At which point he says... "oh by the way, it's not zeroed yet."
Could've been worse, I suppose.  The chrono itself was fine.

Moral of the story:
Zero your stuff first
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 6:19:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I took a friend once that wanted to chrono some 9mm loads he had. hi power

What i failed to tell him is it wasn't made for mag dumps.

It was all set up and as watched him line up for a shot, he let loose about six rounds before i could stop him and he hit one of the upright light shields. Got lucky it wasn't hit in on of the light sensors.

My pact pro is about 20yrs old and so far i've not hit a sensor. It is a bit tricky to set up to shoot groups and chrono at the same time. For me i'm out in the desert where there is a steel table and i'm by myself and not bothering anyone elses range time with set up.

Link Posted: 10/11/2016 6:22:36 PM EDT
[#9]
You don't own a chrono until you shoot your chrono
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 6:39:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I hit mine with a 45acp.  I got in a hurry, was not using the light diffuser and rods.  They are not needed most of the time, and I often shot without.    Like I said , I was in a hurry and a storm was coming.  I just had to chrono a few more loads and done. Nicked a sensor, dead right there.

What I learned was: never be in a hurry, use the rods and use a rest to shoot from.  And buy the 100$ chrono.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 6:47:13 PM EDT
[#11]
I've only managed to kill a couple of the rods holding the sky screens. Now I use wooden dowels. They explode without damaging my chrono.

I imagine one of these days my luck will run out no matter how anal I am about setting it up.

Yes, get a Magnetospeed. My shooting partner has one and it's great.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 7:11:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I hardly use mine anymore, but when I did I shot one of the guides once. I was shooting a few targets on a plywood board at ~100 yards. I moved from the middle target to the left target. Bang. Whole rig tipped over, turned out it was just the wire rod and I got lucky, won't happen again lol.

I also put a piece of 3" thick square of aluminum in front of the thing as armor, not sure what would happen if I shoot it, not going to find out...  On purpose anyway.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 7:25:37 PM EDT
[#13]
alignment marks on the windows...

12 and 6 for straight through,  with 3 and 9 for height so straight across both windows, and a height line that top of sight has to touch to keep bore of barrel clean through windows

Link Posted: 10/11/2016 7:56:05 PM EDT
[#14]
I hit one of the rods which hold up the light shields on my Chrony.  Busted the display window.  When it came back I made rods of coat hanger wire so they would bend before shattering the display.

Paladin
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 8:42:01 PM EDT
[#15]

I had a Chrony... As mentioned above, you had to get LOW for it to read.
Anything above 1/2 probably wouldn't register.

I was at a public range - I got the Chrony set up too close, and kept getting bad readings due to muzzle blast - so - on a cease fire - I moved it way out.

Too far this time - and it wasn't lined up with the target downrange ... Instead of waiting for a ceasefire - I kept shooting.
Finally banged a 230 grain 45 ACP right into the digital window.  

Everyone laughed their butts off ...  thought it was funny as hell - I didn't.

I replaced it with a Prochrono - I'll be damned!   It's sensitive enough to read a BB at 250 fps near the top of the sunshade.  It works great.

Generally you won't use it much ... It's a " must have " if you are a serious reloader - precision shooter.

Link Posted: 10/11/2016 9:14:09 PM EDT
[#16]
I can see if you are trying to rush it while shooting multiple guns.  My brother and I use the prochrony as a back up to the magneto speed and it can be a PITA to shoot six guns across in an afternoon to get good readings on. And waste good ladder shots.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 10:02:27 PM EDT
[#17]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm betting a lot is due to sight height over bore.
View Quote
That is the primary reason.

The way I make sure it doesn't happen is by having a piece of cardboard which fits the third screen and a green laser boresight to make sure I'm centered in the screen.

ETA.  I've clipped a few rails on mine before I figured out how not to do it.  Oehler 35P.

Link Posted: 10/11/2016 10:14:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've only managed to kill a couple of the rods holding the sky screens. Now I use wooden dowels. They explode without damaging my chrono.

I imagine one of these days my luck will run out no matter how anal I am about setting it up.

Yes, get a Magnetospeed. My shooting partner has one and it's great.
View Quote

Wooden dowels for the screen rods...kinda simple but brilliant.

Mine is a Competition Electronics Pro, and I see another poster mention he has the same and you don't have to shoot extremely close to the sensors.  I'm noticing the same thing.

I even did careful bench setup when I started using mine getting quite close to the sensors and then raised my shots incrementally.  I saw no discernable difference.  Since I don't have to shoot right down on the deck of the chrono, maybe that's the only reason I haven't hit it or the rods yet.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 10:16:07 PM EDT
[#19]
My F1 currently has one wooden dowel holding the sun shades since I smacked one of the original rods with a 180gr going 1400fps out of my G20, lol
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 11:00:37 PM EDT
[#20]
I've got an old ass PACT 2 chronograph that I inherited. If I shoot it so be it.

I do have a Magnetic Laser Bore Sighter that helps you setup the chrono and not shoot it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 11:18:19 PM EDT
[#21]
I used to also wonder how so many people where shooting their chrony's.  

Then I got one this summer and sure enough, on the first time out with it at the range I managed to shoot both the front and back rods with one 10mm shot from my G20.

I was totally distracted by the readings so I cheated my eyes down to look as I was shooting.  The really sad part is I bought the bluetooth transmitter to send all the info to my phone.    And I still was trying to look at the front of the display as I was shooting!

I think a few things factor into it after owning it for a while - one is that (at least at my range) It's difficult to line up both the chronograph shooting window and the target stand down range during a short cease-fire, so many times you don't have a definitive aiming point.

The second is I need to develop more patience with getting the results and seeing if the shot read or was an error.

I bought four replacement rods.  Hopefully, i don't find a way to hit three rods at once the next time out!
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 9:36:44 AM EDT
[#22]
The magnetospeed is indeed the grand pubah for rifle use, but if you have to chrony pistol loads (such as for USPSA power factor) or checking subsonic pistol caliber stuff, it's 100% useless.  

Link Posted: 10/12/2016 9:41:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 9:45:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The magnetospeed is indeed the grand pubah for rifle use, but if you have to chrony pistol loads (such as for USPSA power factor) or checking subsonic pistol caliber stuff, it's 100% useless.  

View Quote

And it changes POI on your rifle, on some I think it actually improved groups
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 10:38:35 AM EDT
[#25]
i shot my first chronograph using a pistol i was not familiar with. it was the first time i ever shot an P-38  and they handle a bit differently than a Colt semi auto. i would recommend getting use to the gun before shooting.  

my second chrono went unscathed until i let my brother use it, i call him Barney Fife he shakes so much(LOL). first time he grazed the top of the unit but didn't damage the vitals, the second time he hit one of the supports for the screens. i straightened it out and the unit is still working.

Bruce
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 10:57:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Once you have center punched your new unit, one tends to devise a routine to prevent a repeat event.  That is , until that noobie friend doesn't follow directions and destroys the second one.  Last year I

found a brand new Chrony Beta and a tripod in the range trash can with a badly bent rod or two.  The tripod was a toy junk unit, but once the rods were straightened the little unit works fine.  Apparently

someone decided this was outside his patience quota.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 11:02:55 AM EDT
[#27]
I have yet to shoot mine in over 15 years so I often wonder the same thing.
I am very deliberate in setting mine up. It can take me 15 minutes to get set-up for the first shot though.

I think the secret is having a target only a few yards beyond the unit. If you have the bull centered in the sweet spot of the chrono and you can hit the bull with regularity, your chrono will live for a long time.

I am sure there will come a day when I am in a hurry and my chono will get a hole.

One thought on the rods... frequently you do not need the screens. If that is the case, two straws from McDonalds work as replacements so you know where the bullet should go.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 11:35:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I have yet to shoot mine in over 15 years so I often wonder the same thing.
I am very deliberate in setting mine up. It can take me 15 minutes to get set-up for the first shot though.

I think the secret is having a target only a few yards beyond the unit. If you have the bull centered in the sweet spot of the chrono and you can hit the bull with regularity, your chrono will live for a long time.

I am sure there will come a day when I am in a hurry and my chono will get a hole.

One thought on the rods... frequently you do not need the screens. If that is the case, two straws from McDonalds work as replacements so you know where the bullet should go.
View Quote

Yeah, I didn't realize that people shoot that far down range through their Chrono's.  I chrono as a separate function to log bullet speed and do the target/accuracy function separately.  Also I've never shot a non-zeroed gun through my chrono.

I've not tried my Competition Electronics Pro without the screens.  On the issue of shooting down range through the chrono, am I going about this incorrectly?  Since I'm not as concerned about trying to log down range speed, I'm not seeing the benefit except perhaps to save ammo...but that's why I reload...LOL!

Link Posted: 10/12/2016 11:59:50 AM EDT
[#29]
I suspect more die at public ranges than in the wild.  The rush to set it up during a cease fire so you aren't bothering other shooters can made it harder to set up right.  Then you add in the desire to "just make it work" when it isn't set up perfectly.

Rob
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 12:10:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Competition electronics can take a 223 55grn fmj and never miss a beat. So glad to see I'm not the only one that may have slightly shot a hole slam through the top of one. Alot more time is now used to make sure everything is setup correctly before shooting.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 2:34:02 PM EDT
[#31]
I had a friend borrow my Oehler chronograph, and return it with one of the sensor holders shot up.
~$10 to replace the plastic piece.
The electronics sit next to you on the bench, not down range.
Even after 15+ years, it is a great chrono.

They left the consumer market several years ago and resumed production in 2010.
Oehler Research
Top Top