Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2016 10:41:18 PM EDT
I just noticed that if I tap, poke, or otherwise cause any movement to my powder drop between charges it will drop .3 to .6 grains above the set drop.

Is this normal? I'm a noob, but have double checked all the setup instructions and function checks three times now. I can't see where anything is set up incorrectly.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:44:30 PM EDT
[#1]
The consistency of the powder measure is directly coupled to how consistently you operate the press.  That's normal.

I give the powdermeasure a rap with my knuckle before running the case up.  Keep the level in the powder measure at 3/4 full or higher, otherwise, drops will start getting heavier/lighter.

You need to develop a smooth, efficient routine if you're going to get it to shine and to keep from making errors.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:13:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Powder settles and as posted above, how fluidly you operate your press, will be the consistency of your loaded ammunition. Try and mount your press as solidly as possible and don't rush yourself; practice good reloading habits and great ammunition will be your reward.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:46:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Be sure you are getting the powder bar to fully throw from one end to the other.  Getting them adjusted right can be an effort but it seems to be consistent.  Still anything that is a hot load near max I prefer to individually measure each powder charge.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:49:20 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

...Still anything that is a hot load near max I prefer to individually measure each powder charge.
View Quote

Ditto.  I stay about 0.5grs off max when I'm loading bulk ammo.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 12:48:58 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

...Still anything that is a hot load near max I prefer to individually measure each powder charge.

That seems to be a good idea!
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 12:54:02 AM EDT
[#6]
You do this on every stroke?

You would have to measure your drop while doing this, and then, never miss a 'rap with your knuckle' to get consistent drops.

Now that I'm aware of this 'non-issue' I'll be careful loading more powder in the hopper as that's the only time I can think of possibly disturbing the hopper a side from on accident. A bump or what have you.

Ya..... learning real quick that banging out max loads on the progressive may not be the best idea! lol.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 6:05:24 AM EDT
[#7]
what powder are you having this issue with?

I only use 3 different powders but never had this problem.

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 8:11:37 AM EDT
[#8]
You can do better depending on powder.

Polish your powder measure funnel.

Fill at least half way with powder.

Tap the measure lightly a few raps when filled.

Make sure the fail safe rod wing nut collapses the spring at least half way on down strike.

Be consistent on your pulls.

Ball powder for me is spot on, short extruded powder can be +/- .2gr.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 11:11:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You can do better depending on powder.

Polish your powder measure funnel.

Fill at least half way with powder.

Tap the measure lightly a few raps when filled.

Make sure the fail safe rod wing nut collapses the spring at least half way on down strike.

Be consistent on your pulls.

Ball powder for me is spot on, short extruded powder can be +/- .2gr.
View Quote

I do this with a case with a spent primer in position 2 so that the primer seating rod has a stop.  Apply pressure forward like you are seating a primer and tighten the return rod wing nut until the spring is at least half collapsed but don't go to fully collapsed.

What powder are you using?  Dillon does really well with flake and ball powders.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 5:19:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 7:21:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Make sure the fail safe rod is tightened down appropriately.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 8:06:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Depends on the powder. Varget was all over the place for me.  I added a micrometer for the powder measure, polished the funnel, and added an aquarium pump for a slight vibration to make drops more consistent.  

These things are highly recommended for more difficult to measure powder types.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 11:23:07 PM EDT
[#13]
If you are interested in precision

http://www.uniquetek.com/product/T1231
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 12:54:50 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

what powder are you having this issue with?

I only use 3 different powders but never had this problem.

View Quote
I'm using AA 1680

Link Posted: 10/1/2016 3:23:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 3:36:16 PM EDT
[#16]
I am not saying it will help to get more consistent drops, but all my Dillon Powder Measures have received the "Dillon Powder Measure retrograde" treatment.  Just google it.

You have to buy two springs  from Dillon for each PM for it to work properly, but it definitely took out some of the clunkiness of the PM.

Link Posted: 10/11/2016 12:50:31 PM EDT
[#17]
So, I think my issue is resolved (was a fail safe rod adjustment). However with these 300 blackout cases being 3/4 + full what seems to be happening is the a tiny bit of powder is jumping out on rotation from powder drop to bullet seat. Enough to be .1 - .2 grains. It amazes me how little powder ways .1 grain.

Anyways.... is there any suggest fixes for this? I'm not race car driving the shell holder around in circles. Nice paced smooth operator here  

Link Posted: 10/11/2016 1:45:39 PM EDT
[#18]
n/m
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 2:34:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
So, I think my issue is resolved (was a fail safe rod adjustment). However with these 300 blackout cases being 3/4 + full what seems to be happening is the a tiny bit of powder is jumping out on rotation from powder drop to bullet seat. Enough to be .1 - .2 grains. It amazes me how little powder ways .1 grain.

Anyways.... is there any suggest fixes for this? I'm not race car driving the shell holder around in circles. Nice paced smooth operator here  

View Quote

There is a non steel ball upgrade. Basically the steel ball makes a loud click when engaging the shell plate. This "positive lock" causes vibrations on the now loaded case and powder spills out. The upgraded ball and spring are $15.00 shipped.

You can search flebay. Dillon 650 detent ball (you will see a picture of a steel ball bearing -pitted- and a brown plastic ball on the right. ) Haven't tried the cheaper black plastic ball from the other seller (I own both). So recommending what I'm using.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 2:58:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Powder baffle.

Removes the weight of the powder in the hopper from the measuring chamber.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 2:59:30 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
There is a non steel ball upgrade. Basically the steel ball makes a loud click when engaging the shell plate. This "positive lock" causes vibrations on the now loaded case and powder spills out. The upgraded ball and spring are $15.00 shipped.

You can search flebay. Dillon 650 detent ball (you will see a picture of a steel ball bearing -pitted- and a brown plastic ball on the right. ) Haven't tried the cheaper black plastic ball from the other seller (I own both). So recommending what I'm using.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks! Ordered!

Link Posted: 10/11/2016 3:04:31 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Powder baffle.

Removes the weight of the powder in the hopper from the measuring chamber.

View Quote
I am getting accurate drops now that  I fixed the safety reset lever setup.

Link Posted: 10/11/2016 4:12:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

I let a finger ride the case that is going to get the bullet, whenever the press indexes.  This dampens the click.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 8:53:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top