Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2016 6:59:03 AM EDT
Good day all.

I've been reading large amounts of fantastic information on this forum over the years and have recently started wet tumbling and absolutely love being able to get shiny bright brass including primer pockets and the inside of each and every case is beautifully clean and shiny clean. Now this lets me see the burrs at the flash holes on the inside of the case.

Now that I can see those burrs what would be tool that is used to get rid of them?

Those burrs appear to have been formed when either a drill or some sort of pin punch pushed through while forming the flash hole.

The Lapua brass that I really like doesn't appear to have those burrs and the old saying that "You get what you pay for" is true for Lapua brass.

I also like Winchester brand brass that my local range has lots of free for the taking but has those interior flash hole burrs that I would like to get rid of and make those Winchester cases look more like my Lapua cases.

What tool would I need for this and what would you folks recommend?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 7:02:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 7:03:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I thought they burned away after you shoot them?
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 7:18:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use this
View Quote

Same here.

I deburr the flash holes on all rifle cases used for hunting and precision shooting. Blasting ammo not so much.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 7:20:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I looked at that Lyman tool some time ago and got the impression that it was used only from the outside to ream, clean and uniform the flash hole.

Does it uniform pocket depth?

Does that black collar guide slide on the shaft and lock somehow to act as depth stop so that you can't take off too much? I assume that that tapered black guide/stop is used when deburring the inside?

Does it work universally with large and small primers?

It looks just like what I was looking for.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 7:53:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I looked at that Lyman tool some time ago and got the impression that it was used only from the outside to ream, clean and uniform the flash hole.

Does it uniform pocket depth?

Does that black collar guide slide on the shaft and lock somehow to act as depth stop so that you can't take off too much? I assume that that tapered black guide/stop is used when deburring the inside?

Does it work universally with large and small primers?

It looks just like what I was looking for.

Thank you.
View Quote

Never used it, but from description you insert it from the case mouth.  So it would not do anything to the primer pocket.  Not sure why the cutting part extends to the wider section (that does make it look like you would insert it from the primer pocket end to ream the pocket).
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:10:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:35:01 AM EDT
[#7]
This is the ultimate in flash hole de-burring tools. 21st century
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:52:36 AM EDT
[#8]

I use the Sinclair tool ( P/N - 749-002-709WB )

I just chuck it in the drill and start deburing
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 10:08:58 AM EDT
[#9]

The Lyman i use has many drawbacks.  Hard to adjust for the correct depth of cut.  All brass has to be trimmed to the same length. Mixed range brass, with different web thickness , may be  a problem. It only removes burrs fron the flash hole.  A different tool is needed to uniform.   The  21st Century tool above,  looks better. Looks like it stops when coming in contact with the web?  

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 10:17:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 10:19:57 AM EDT
[#11]
I am wondering how important the uniformity of flash hole is on cheap brass anyway?

Is it the limiting factor with accuracy? Or just the easiest to remedy.

For any rounds I make for ultimate accuracy, I buy Lapua and am too afraid to put a tool like this on the same bench with my $1-$2.50 brass.

For plinking, I am using mostly mixed headstamp or starline brass. For mixed headstamp, I would immagine there is other variation that plays a large role. I havent noticed an issue on Starline.

I am open to be swayed so if anyone has a story about how it has improved their results, I would be happy to hear.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 10:28:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 10:58:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Good info Dryflash.

This thread reminds me that the flash holes I bored open for my subsonic 30-06 rounds probably need a cleanup.. Thanks, OP.. added more work to my busy weekend.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 11:02:09 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

View Quote
If this is a lame attempt at at joke, take it to GD, not here. dryflash3  
View Quote

Back off.

Here are the rules in this forum, from the conduct code,

SPECIFIC TO THE TECH FORUMS

The tech forums (Ar15,AK47,Handgun,Armory,Training,Outdoors) are more  "formal" and actions permitted in the GD forum aren't permitted there.  These forums are there to share information and as a result, trolling,  heated arguments,insulting others,etc won't be ignored.

This being a tech forum, bad advice or jokes will not fly here.

dryflash3

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 11:21:17 AM EDT
[#15]
I use the lyman tool. It worked good but it is important to size all cases and trim to the same length before attempting to uniform the pockets. I used it on my 22 tcm and my 300 rsaum. Even with the same headstamp brass trimmed to the same length, the amount of material it took off varied from a light dusting of brass to huge shavings.

But a light shined down into the case shows they are visually very close to the same cut size. Just goes to show you that flash holes are very inconsistent.

I would not bother on any blasting brass. It is time consuming and your quality control is important to make sure you don't punch a hole right through the back of a case.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 11:41:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Just to add, don't take the deburr tool to those lovely Lapua flash holes.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 11:58:32 AM EDT
[#17]
BE CAREFUL when choosing flash uniforming tools.
Some brass has smaller flash holes than standard (0.080") like Lapua 6MM BR, 22 PPC, 6.5x47, and 308 Palma.
Some tools like the RCBS one requires the use of a pilot, just like the Redding does, too.
Whereas, others have taper pilot that you adjust to your needs.

Most brass when made has the flash hole punched, versus having it drilled.

Reloaders who shoot mixed head stamp rifle rounds larger than 223 need to rethink that idea.  What is safe in one brand of brass may not be in another.  You are skewing your results.
Same headstamp and same # of firings for consistency.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 12:45:21 PM EDT
[#18]
I see I'm tapping a lot of real-world wisdom here, thank you.

I used some points to order a Lyman flash hole tool.

I like to use mixed head-stamp brass for blasting so lots of case prep is skipped on the stuff that is fun and skill(s) building but basically making smoke.

When I first build a rifle I really enjoy seeing just how much accuracy can be wrung out of it. That's where I sit down and see how I can make my ammunition as consistent as possible, i.e. weight-sorting bullets, uniforming primer pockets, sorting head-stamps, Lapua brass etc. and the new Lyman tool is on its way.

Thanks again everybody.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 1:18:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Back off.

The tech forums (Ar15,AK47,Handgun,Armory,Training,Outdoors) are more  "formal" and actions permitted in the GD forum aren't permitted there.  These forums are there to share information and as a result, trolling,  heated arguments,insulting others,etc won't be ignored.

dryflash3

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
If this is a lame attempt at at joke, take it to GD, not here. dryflash3  

Back off.

dryflash3

I'm not sure what your problem is but...

David Watson the author of "Abcs of Rifle Shooting" agrees that the burrs do in fact burn off after shooting.
So please let this "lame joke" thing you are hung up on pass from your mind
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 1:58:02 PM EDT
[#20]
In a typical high power rifle the temperature actually raises (for a very short time) above what the barrel steel will melt at.

So it's not far stretch to believe small burrs could be burned away.

Back on topic.  I use a 4" center drill to deburr the inside of the flash hole. Yeah it's slow but I don't do it very often.

Motor
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 2:29:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 3:45:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Factory ammo that I shot that had brass I've wanted for precision loading I've used the lyman tool.

I use it on the rcbs case master machine, with the collar for centering up the case and depth. Just getting the burr and very slight bevel.

I've not used any other tool for the burrs so dont know what may be better or worse.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 3:58:28 PM EDT
[#23]
You also mentioned primer pocket uniforming.. I like the K&M ones like here https://www.precisionreloading.com/cart.php#!c=190

Notice that there is a different one for large rifle and small rifle (also does small pistol) as well as one for large pistol.  Some market the large rifle/pistol as the same, but they aren't.. in case you also do pistol reloading.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 4:55:20 PM EDT
[#24]
I got a powdered 5 station Lyman case prep center a few Christmases ago and really like it and have since put different bits from various manufacturers on it.

One of its drawbacks is that its rpms are rather slow and I've taken common drills and put the primer pocket uniformer bits in the drill(s) and let the Lyman Prep Center spin the chamfer bits. An open station on the Lyman will now be home to the new Lyman flash hole deburring tool after I take the handle off.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 6:34:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I use the Sinclair tool ( P/N - 749-002-709WB )

I just chuck it in the drill and start deburing
View Quote

I do the same. Very consistent, works great
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:31:44 PM EDT
[#26]
I use the Lyman tool.  Usually I don't bother for pistol and practice rifle ammo, but when I run into cases that are harder to deprime, I use the tool to drill the flash hole to "proper" diameter.  Usually, there's a distinct change in the resistance felt once the flash hole is fully cut, so the stop isn't terribly critical.  Deburring does NOT have any affect on the rest of the primer pocket.  You might also need a primer pocket uniformer, and maybe a primer crimp removal tool of some kind.

Deburring the flash hole isn't absolutely necessary, but it can help keep a load consistent by ensuring the primer flash goes straight through and into the powder.

TINY burs can burn off, but if it's visible, it probably won't.  Usually this is because the bur is out of the direct line of the primer flame, and there's no way to know if there was a bur before the first firing of a factory round, so if you find a bur, it almost certainly will not burn off.

For what it's worth, and no offense meant to any of the current authors/editors of The ABCs of Reloading, but nobody is in the same class as Dean Grennell.  I don't recall Mr. Grennell mentioning anything like "primer flash hole burs burn off."
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 10:53:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Thank you for your input Mr. Porter.

Yours and dryflash and many others are why I know that I can get solid and indepth information and guidance on this forum.

If you guys don't know the answer then you sure know who does.

After seeing so many positive results from others with wet tumbling I decided to give it a go and really like seeing bright brass inside and out but seeing how nice my Lapua brass was compared to my Winchester and others with all those burrs around the flash-hole, some quite tall and pronounced, even in third fired cases, I decided to ask what tool was used to trim that off.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 11:50:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 9:54:24 AM EDT
[#29]
My apologies if this is the wrong spot for my question but I did search.

I was gifted these items, should I buy some additional pieces for them in order to clean primer pockets or order something else?

Link Posted: 8/4/2016 12:02:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Those are camfer and deburing tools and a case neck brush. None of those tools are for primer pockets. You will need different tools.

You will need:

primer pocket cleaner similar to this one
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/467111/lee-primer-pocket-cleaner

A crimp removal tool. (lots of options for this but this is what I use)
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/804809/hornady-primer-pocket-reamer-package

This thread is about flash hole uniforming. which is not necessary for safe reloading, but could help your accuracy. For that information, read above.
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 12:07:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Those are camfer and deburing tools and a case neck brush. None of those tools are for primer pockets. You will need different tools.

You will need:

primer pocket cleaner similar to this one
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/467111/lee-primer-pocket-cleaner

A crimp removal tool. (lots of options for this but this is what I use)
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/804809/hornady-primer-pocket-reamer-package

This thread is about flash hole uniforming. which is not necessary for safe reloading, but could help your accuracy. For that information, read above.
View Quote

Thank you.
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 12:25:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 12:27:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
  The handles are universal, you can thread other tools into them like primer pocket reamers, primer pocket uniformers, and flashole reamers.
Feel free to start a thread and ask any questions you may have.
View Quote

That's what I thought, thank you and will do.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 6:37:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Got to try the Lyman tool this weekend.

Thought I might mount it in an open stage on my Lyman reloading center but I like the feedback that I get with the handle. Not much material is being removed so a light spin with the fingers and the nice handle gives me a great feel for what's going on in there. I also like the cutting effect of the flash-hole pin cutting edges. It gives me a sense that the flash-holes will all be the exact same diameter.

The positives...now the negative: the deburring cutter edge is tapered on the Lyman tool and I think that CheveleDave's 21st Century tool would give a nicer, flatter and more uniform cut on the inside web; just wish it weren't so expensive.

Haven't shot the deburred brass yet.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 7:32:50 PM EDT
[#35]
I do wish the flash hole burrs would burn off at firing, but they don't. Honestly, if they did burn off, we wouldn't be having this discussion at all because nobody would know of their existence in a previously fired case. Only new brass would have it.

BTW, I didn't see this mentioned earlier, but Lapua drills their flash holes, and almost everybody else seems to "punch" them.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 7:52:07 PM EDT
[#36]
I've purchased several calibers of Lapua unprimed brass and the quality is superb. Almost like they're machined from billet brass, exaggerating a bit but really nice brass.

And I don't need to touch those Lapuas at all, just a slight trim after firing, and only a very slight amount ever comes off. The necks stay concentric and uniform and primer-pockets stay perfectly firm. Just a pleasure to reload over and over.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 8:05:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 9:06:35 PM EDT
[#38]
I like that Sinclair Deluxe II tool!  It's on my list for stuff to get next time I order from Sinclair/Brownell's.

As I've said, I've used the Lyman tool to "uniform" undersized flash holes, and it's very effective for this use.  But...I have always felt that the bevel on the Lyman tool's cutter was likely to remove more material than I might want if I wasn't extra careful.  

Oh, and I've actually used the Lyman tool on cases I couldn't get a depriming pin into, and it worked great as long as I didn't overdo it.  Going too far tended to cut up the dead primer's anvil, which sometimes makes depriming harder.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 9:22:39 PM EDT
[#39]
I'll still argue that the 21st Century is the best de-burring tool out there.

I actually find it fun to use.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 10:19:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:17:39 AM EDT
[#41]
Whatever you end up doing, be careful cleaning up the primer pocket.  If you make the pocket deeper, you will possibly get light firing pin strikes.  I traded for a load of "cleaned up" brass.  Had to toss it.  The pockets were reamed too shallow and the primers seated too deep.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 10:55:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Interesting consideration about flash hole flash burning off.

While the book, 'ABC's of Rifle Shooting', Chapter 12, pg 127 states that the flashing does eventually burn off, it goes on to state that it takes time and the deburring tool is useful to uniform the inside of the hole which aids in higher precision ignition.  

If you want to learn more, you can download this pdf of a 2015 Master's Thesis from the
Missouri University Of Science And Technology,
Titled
'The Effects Of
Physical Flash Hole Deviations On Factory-Grade Rifle Ammunition'

(We pass on a lot of anecdotal information and first hand observations on these forums and I think it's good at times to read some actual, technical data and/or scholarly work on these subjects.)

Link Posted: 8/11/2016 12:23:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 3:39:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Thank you dryflash.

That makes sense that the failures to light are caused mostly due to primers being too high; it males the round force the bolt out of battery just enough to keep the firing pin from its full travel.

Mr. Stoner's design is amazing.

My Lyman primer pocket uniformer cutters for both small and large are still going strong even after thousands of rounds being cut chucked into common electric drills; they have given me really nice uniform depth.

After my current divorce mess is as over as over can be in such a thing I'll devote some funds for that 21st Century cutter.

Thanks a lot everybody.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top