Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2016 2:03:30 PM EDT
Not happy with the new Lee Square priming tool and parts for the old round one are
no longer available.

Recommend a good hand primer.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:14:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I like my RCBS hand priming tool.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:57:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I like my Hornady one.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 3:01:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I like the lyman one.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:15:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Second the RCBS.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:19:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I have both the RCBS and Hornady tools.  They're both solid and reliable.  Bonus: they use STANDARD shell holders.  And they're made of higher quality metal than the Lee tools have been made with.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:53:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I have the RCBS. Have never even looked at trying another one. It works great.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:58:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Got the Hornady one with single stage kit. Junk. RCBS universal is nice except for the way cover snaps on tray.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 9:10:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Sinclair. Buy once, cry once.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 9:11:07 PM EDT
[#9]
When hand priming I use a Lee Ergo, works for me
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 9:12:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Have you thought about sending the old one to Lee?
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 9:58:22 PM EDT
[#11]
And another RCBS....
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 10:39:27 PM EDT
[#12]
The one where you have to place a single primer at a time?

I just don't see the excitement over it. I am sure it seats as smooth as grandma's whip cream but I am not handling each primer by itself. Am I missing something?
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 11:11:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 11:21:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Honestly I would go with the RCBS bench primer.  

I have 2 RCBS hand primers and never use them after I got the bench primer.  

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 8:49:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Got the Hornady one with single stage kit. Junk. RCBS universal is nice except for the way cover snaps on tray.
View Quote

What problems did you have with the Hornady?  

I can't see any huge problems with the Hornady tool - it's an aluminum tube with some steel parts and a pretty ergonomic handle.  Nobody's primer trays are particularly "delightful," but I don't see any big difference between the RCBS and Hornady trays.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 9:43:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Am I missing something?
View Quote

You are missing the best priming tool on the planet.  
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 11:17:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Have you thought about sending the old one to Lee?
View Quote

Total waste of time and shipping. Seriously they don't have any parts for the old tools I've talked to them.

Hey OP. I bought my last old generation Lee auto prime on eBay and I'm pretty sure there are still a bunch out there.

I also have a RCBS. It's a better but slower to convert tool that the old Lee. I'm pretty sure it's been updated as well though.

I just love how easy and quick it is to switch from large to small on the old auto prime. Plus if you have some sort of problem where the primer doesn't seat you canjust push down the tray and remove the case and shell holder to see what's going on.

Motor
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:20:32 AM EDT
[#18]
RCBS
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 1:07:46 AM EDT
[#19]
RCBS Universal is the hand priming tool I use and like.  It does take a minute or two to change from large to small, but that's ok.

I also have the RCBS bench primer.  It is most convenient and very easy to go back and for the between large and small primers.

I would not have either as a stand alone.  I use the bench primer primarily, but every once in a while a primer is stubborn and needs to be put on the hand primer for final seating.

ETA: The Vibra Prime primer tubes fit right into the RCBS bench primer which is a plus.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 1:41:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:30:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Doesn't fit in this case.  Slow and expensive doesn't mean better.

RCBS universal is the one you want.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 6:53:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

.... nothing like watching TV while seating primers (just sit on the carpet with a towel under me, pile of brass in a box to the left, and a bucket in front of me to throw the primed brass into once primed), and the old lee dirt cheap hand primer tools fit the bill for this nicely!!

Trust is, from the lee tools that have carried over from reloading from the youth, it once of the tools that I got to like, and still use them even not later on life when I can afford more expensive tools isntead.  So the RCBS primer tool is nice, but the Lee you can use your thumb for the lever, and your hand gets a lot less tired instead.
View Quote

Well, Dano, maybe it depends on hand size or age......

I've used a Lee since they made the lil one that did one at a time like the overpriced "best" one mentioned above.  I sure would never have liked to do without the trusty Lee tools, but I only have two thumbs and they can't take the Lee tools anymore......too used.  

Anyhow I went to RCBS Universals, both the bench  version and the hand tool......both in APS incarnations.  My four fingers and hands do work a lot longer together than my one thumb......in my experience of course.

I flat love em......and when I need to do lots of them fast with zero effort.....I use the bench version.

Of course APS is my fodder since I use a Pro 2000 progressive......safety is the best feature.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top