[#2]
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 6:30:48 PM EDT
[#3]
cool

glad to hear it

bought CFE PISTOL during a powder shortage and ended up liking it a lot

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 7:13:16 PM EDT
[#4]

I dunno, I have a few pounds That I have not tried.

anyone load 55s that like it?

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 7:45:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't like it unless heavy bullets are used, and i like using 55gr ers.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 7:58:47 PM EDT
[#6]
It shoots extremely well in both my ar and my gf's ar with 60g vmax bullets. Different charge weights for each rifle due to different twits but very awesome results.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 8:16:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Different charge weights for each rifle due to different twits but very awesome results.
View Quote

I'm assuming there's a missing "s" in the tenth word, but it's not clear in the context.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 8:22:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got a bunch of 55 and 60gr VMAX and some 52gr hornady match....and some 77gr too.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 9:24:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Meh it's ok
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 9:45:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I have only used it for 55gr Hornady FMJ or SP so far, but will be testing with 77gr Nosler CC very soon. With the lighter bullets I get 1:00 eject patterns in all 4 ARs I have used it in. That is with min to max loads from the Hodgdon manual. It was accurate though, just weird ejection pattern like may be seen with an over gassed rifle, but only with this powder.

I will keep loading it though because it is accurate. And as stated will be testing 77gr Nosler CC through a 18" Krieger barrel soon.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 9:52:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I use it for my 55gr. blasting ammo with Hornady FMJBT's.  I can't say anything to the effect to the "fouling eraser" properties, but it shoots well and is plenty accurate for plinking.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 9:55:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Meh it's ok
View Quote

Agree. Dont buy it. Horrible.

(Good thinking.. more for us?)

Ok, truth is I love in 223.. in 55, 75, 77.. lovely.

In Grendel? meh... gosh I cant get it to work with 123 amax or 123 cc...

In 308? I am sitting on so much 308 powder I havent tried but a friend has and I saw very good results from his Armalite so I may try...
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 10:20:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

In 308? I am sitting on so much 308 powder I havent tried but a friend has and I saw very good results from his Armalite so I may try...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Meh it's ok

Well now that you gave it away , yes more for me .
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 10:30:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 10:09:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Meh it's ok
View Quote

Bought eight pounds, because of rave reviews and availability. Primarily intending for 55s for plinking and <100yd matches.

Haven't tried it in .308 yet, or with heavier bullets in .223

Shot best at the top end, primers were slightly flattened from starting loads up, but no other indications of pressure. Have loads with other powders that are more accurate, that I can get more rounds per pound from.

Don't know about the copper fouling eraser, but it's not the only powder with such additive, just the one that uses it for marketing.

Anyone else think the stuff is pungent when it burns? smoke wasn't thick but the smell was.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 10:12:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 10:38:08 AM EDT
[#17]
I like it a lot.    I'm not an accuracy shooter with 223 so I cant comment on ultimate accuracy. I shoot unmagnified red dot sights.     26.7g of CFE223 over any plain ole 55g FMJ works for me.    I can hit 12" gongs at 200 yards with this load.  

I've been told I have a hyper sensitive nose and I agree, I don't care for the smell of CFE 223 in my nose if the wind is just wrong.    

I've got like 12 pounds of this stuff which will probably last me a lifetime.  Unless I start using it in 308 when my Varget dries up.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 4:51:58 PM EDT
[#18]
CFE tends to be more accurate at the top end of the loads listed in most data.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 8:20:17 PM EDT
[#19]
It has a tendency to leave a blue coating on my muzzle devices but shoots pretty well.

I use 26 grains under 55gr xtreme FMJ. Works pretty well for blasting ammo.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 2:01:39 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

A lot.

Very good groups in 223 with Sierra 69 gr MK's.

100 yd 10 shot groups right around .75.

View Quote
Funny. It is my go to powder for one of my bolt guns that loves 69 SMKs.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 5:44:48 AM EDT
[#21]
It totally screws up my Hornady electronic powder measure.  Nothing I've tried will make it run right with CFE 223.  It feeds so well it gives me overweight charges about 7 out of 10 charges.  I slowed it down (the final few grains feed rate) and it still overcharges.

It may, however, work just fine in my RCBS uniflow, but I haven't tried it in there yet.  I used most of the one lb. can I bought trying to find some accurate loads with those 55 grain solid copper bullets and go no where with it.  I decided to save the rest of the can to try with some Sierra and Nosler 77 grain bullets I bought a few weeks ago.  The solid copper bullets are way longer, for their weight, than a standard bullet and I thought I'd try them with the CFE223, but it didn't work out for me.  It could very well be the bullets, too.  I have not yet tried them with another powder.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 8:49:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 10:01:24 AM EDT
[#23]
CFE223, 55gr FMJ, LC Brass, CCI #41

I get about :
1.32MOA with my M&P Sport semi carefully measuring (Lyman Gen6) and shooting at night.

1.256MOA with lee dipper and one carefully measured load out of a Sig516.

1.175 MOA with semi carefully measured loads (Lyman Gen6) out of a Sig516.

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 10:07:16 AM EDT
[#24]
And I never did ANY, load development. I just searched around and wrote down a bunch of people's favorite loads and loaded it up, so I could, in theory, get better results.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 10:27:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
And I never did ANY, load development. I just searched around and wrote down a bunch of people's favorite loads and loaded it up, so I could, in theory, get better results.
View Quote

Glad that methodology worked out for you this time without damage to life or property.

It would be advisable to reference published load data and work up with charge weights relative to your firearm, components, and environment in the future.

Jumping right into loading up "Internet Super Loads" does not follow sound reloading practices and may have some serious repercussions, the least of which is missed opportunity for the accuracy of said components in YOUR firearm.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 10:34:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Yesterday, with two gift cards and a 10%-off coupon, I stood at the gun counter at our local Academy trying to decide between CFE and H-335. Based on research, it appears the CFE gives a slight velocity advantage, but I went with H-335 for no other reason than data exists for it in other cartridges (i.e.- 7.62x39) while not so with CFE. I do look forward to trying it at a future date.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:25:12 AM EDT
[#27]

meh. it was right near max load on Hodgdens website. I've loaded a few grain higher without issues. <snip>

We have a lot of new reloaders here and we try to start them off safely. Please don't post any"meh" loads in this forum.

The correct way to work up loads is to begin loading at the "start" load and work up watching for pressure signs.

Any loads posted on the internet should be verified with published data before using. That includes any load that I may post. dryflash3

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:33:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
snip.....
View Quote

those are pretty damn good groups for FMJ

bet you could tighten them up with some 52gr HPBT or even varmit bullets

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:35:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I get about :
1.32MOA with my M&P Sport semi carefully measuring (Lyman Gen6) and shooting at night.
http://i.imgur.com/uns3Vfp.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/l4KKfPq.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/P0zU59p.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/qtdSnUl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/7LfipNb.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/2dR5PnR.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/cqQ4gTX.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/TkC5YKF.jpg
View Quote

That's excellent performance, exceeding my expectation for the mechenical capability for the rifle and bullet in question.  Thanks.   Could you share what charge worked for you to get this (all disclamers apply)?
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 2:24:00 PM EDT
[#30]
I have noticed that the closer you get to the published max loads, the tighter your groups get.  Actually, my favorite load is far enough beyond the published max that I don't specify how far...

Sorta like H110 in .44mag.  It is a good powder if you like to push the envelope and experiment, but merely OK if you like to pick a middle of the road recipe and go with it...  it does, however seem to magically clean copper fouling...

Here are four 200y (actually about 175-185 or so) groups, (2x6 and 2x4 because I messed up which square I was shooting at twice.)
These were shot with a 16" mid gas, Wylde chambered heavy barrel, with a 20x scope and a miraculously clear, wind free day.  
IMI brass, CCi 400 small rifle, north of 28 grains of CFE under a 52 AMAX.  My primers were a bit flat, but none were pierced, dragged or flowed.  I also noticed that my brass was VERY clean afterwards, way more so than any other load I was working with that day, almost fresh from the tumbler clean...

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 4:03:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:19:04 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I did notice that, I figured it was the "copper fouling eraser"
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It has a tendency to leave a blue coating on my muzzle devices but shoots pretty well.

It seems to very with each pound I buy. Some are deeper blue, others are lighter.
I don't know if I should worry about using it surpressed, if over time it builds up more or not.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 4:16:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Bought eight pounds, because of rave reviews and availability. Primarily intending for 55s for plinking and <100yd matches.

Shot best at the top end, primers were slightly flattened from starting loads up, but no other indications of pressure. Have loads with other powders that are more accurate, that I can get more rounds per pound from.

Don't know about the copper fouling eraser, but it's not the only powder with such additive, just the one that uses it for marketing.

Anyone else think the stuff is pungent when it burns? smoke wasn't thick but the smell was.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Meh it's ok

Actually I did think it smelled different then the usual smell. It was definitely a distinct difference.

But I just started with it, so far seems to be GTG.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 5:39:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Glad that methodology worked out for you this time without damage to life or property.

It would be advisable to reference published load data and work up with charge weights relative to your firearm, components, and environment in the future.

Jumping right into loading up "Internet Super Loads" does not follow sound reloading practices and may have some serious repercussions, the least of which is missed opportunity for the accuracy of said components in YOUR firearm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I take his post as meaning he researched what worked for others as opposed to working up loads.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 7:51:19 PM EDT
[#35]
I ran some CFE with some new 6.5 120gr projectiles I designed that will be available soon.
Just one ladder of 27 to 30 grains in an 18in .264 LBC. .5gr increments looking for a ceiling, which I didnt hit at 30 grains.
Pretty happy with 29 to 30 grains. 3 shots each load, #6 has a double. as does #3. Center target was 3 different points of aim.

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 11:35:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Meters extremely well and shoots good but...

Really stinky acrid eye burning gases/smoke compared to other powders, really annoying when shooting rapid fire string into headwind.

Bought a pound to try out prob won't buy more will use what I have left for bolt gun loads as I still have a lot of Varget/RL15 for the AR.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 3:17:59 PM EDT
[#37]
27gr with a 60gr vmax was really good in my 16in heavy barrel.
I tried the same powder charge with a 62gr fmj but I think it might be a little too stiff.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 5:42:08 PM EDT
[#38]
At 27 grains under 55 grainers I got pressure signs, only about 2800 fps. out of 16" barrel.  Weird ejection and some failures to extract. I'm moving on to H335 a bit closer to the middle of burn rate for the bullet weight. It does have a strong smell of ammonia.  Unscientifically I think it burns really hot.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 9:25:56 PM EDT
[#39]
I can only get to 25 gr's with the 55 v-max in the summertime, don't like it, pressure spikes up fast for me, everything i read tells me i should be able to get a little more powder in there without pressure signs.,
Ejection is 12-1 o'clock when everything else is 3-4 o'clock, weird. i dont have any problems loading 65 gr and heavier bullets though.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 9:53:54 AM EDT
[#40]
I prefer TAC over CFE
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 12:23:12 PM EDT
[#41]
I stopped using ball powders over two decades ago. Based on the burn rate CFE-223 looks like BL-C(2) with a copper fouling reducing chemical added.

The only thing positive IMO about ball powders is they meter perfectly. Fine grain extruded powders do as well.

It's been my experience that extruded powders have a wider sweet spot as far as accuracy is concerned and that makes up for any perceived advantage ball powders have in the thrown charge weight.

Ball powders get jumpy in the heat and are known for wearing barrel throats out faster because of the nitroglycerine added to the mix.

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 9:52:42 PM EDT
[#42]

Anyone know what velocity I should see with  26 gr of CFE and 55gr bullet?  I tested one round and saw 2800fps - was wondering if that was par for the course.

I have a Hornady reloading book - I don't recall the version - and the chart numbers don't really seem to match up with what I see in reality with CFE using 55G....

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:51:03 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Anyone know what velocity I should see with  26 gr of CFE and 55gr bullet?  I tested one round and saw 2800fps - was wondering if that was par for the course.

I have a Hornady reloading book - I don't recall the version - and the chart numbers don't really seem to match up with what I see in reality with CFE using 55G....

View Quote

My anecdotal data from one set of 5 shots each during early load development.

From an AR-15 with 16" Stag Arms barrel, 55gr. Hornady FMJBT w/ cann., CFE-223 powder, and CCI small magnum rifle primers:

26.5gr. = Avg. 2820 fps

27.0gr. = Avg. 2914 fps

27.5gr. = Avg. 2949 fps

So in your case, I could see about 2800 fps @26.0 gr. or so from a 16" barrel.

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 1:36:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The copper fouling eraser you see is bismuth.

That's the anti-copper inhibiting ingredient.

If you look at bismuth that should explain the blue?

Link Posted: 7/31/2016 10:42:26 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c311/rabidus_/8DCF5EAF-C391-4F76-8C0A-6CB94059315B_zpsefiskfxz.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c311/rabidus_/8DCF5EAF-C391-4F76-8C0A-6CB94059315B_zpsefiskfxz.jpg

Is that going to cause any problems building up in a suppressor?
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 12:07:22 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View Quote

No, it remains a soft, brittle form that is easily carried out by the blast force, or wiped away.

I brief and simple explanation of the mechanism:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decoppering

Link Posted: 8/1/2016 12:33:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

That's excellent performance, exceeding my expectation for the mechenical capability for the rifle and bullet in question.  Thanks.   Could you share what charge worked for you to get this (all disclamers apply)?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I get about :
http://i.imgur.com/uns3Vfp.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/l4KKfPq.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/P0zU59p.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/qtdSnUl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/7LfipNb.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/2dR5PnR.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/cqQ4gTX.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/TkC5YKF.jpg

That one target has a 27.5 written next to it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 5:40:54 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
No, it remains a soft, brittle form that is easily carried out by the blast force, or wiped away.

I brief and simple explanation of the mechanism:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decoppering

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 12:20:11 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Click... click... click....  click..  It is amazing what you can learn in a night of random surfing.  Fascinating info about Bismuth.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 3:34:00 PM EDT
[#50]
My 270win doesnt like it with 90gr speer tnt anyway.  1moa with cfe223, .5moa and getting better with hot varget loads, but velocity is still lower than i want.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top