Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2016 5:17:17 PM EDT
Shooting some reloads today. Out of 100 I had 2 malfunctions. Gun went into battery pulled trigger and click no bang.  Hard to rack slide back and get the round out. Both rounds had an off center primer strike on them. I did a plunk test with my g34 barrel and they didn't go in as far as some of the other rounds I checked. But the gun did go into battery cus it went click when I pull trigger.  I don't have pics and can't take measurements because my buddy took them and loaded them up in his mnp. They both fired find out of his mnp.
Any idea what happened from the crappy explanation lol.
Thanks for your time
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 5:35:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like you had a couple primers not completely seated- first strike from the firing pin seated them the rest of the way so they fired on the second strike
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 5:40:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll also add at least in my experience, when the slide is hard to pull back, it tells me the rounds were loaded too long, and the bullet is sticking in the rifling.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 7:38:21 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Sounds like you had a couple primers not completely seated- first strike from the firing pin seated them the rest of the way so they fired on the second strike
View Quote

This. When loading on a single stage I swipe my thumb over every primer after I prime it.

On my Dillon I am going to start putting every round into a 100 round ammo box before I dump them into the ammo can. I am seriously sick of finding high primers when I am shooting.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 7:53:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

This. When loading on a single stage I swipe my thumb over every primer after I prime it.

On my Dillon I am going to start putting every round into a 100 round ammo box before I dump them into the ammo can. I am seriously sick of finding high primers when I am shooting.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Odd.  I have *never* had a high primer on my Dillon, or when hand priming.  I always swipe check every single round.... but not sure how you are getting high primers?
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 8:29:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 8:30:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Odd.  I have *never* had a high primer on my Dillon, or when hand priming.  I always swipe check every single round.... but not sure how you are getting high primers?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

90% of the time it's S&B or Armscor brass. I have also had my priming ram come loose on me before.

I have never had one on a hand or bench mounted primer, but I still check.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 9:02:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the tips !
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 10:12:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

90% of the time it's S&B or Armscor brass. I have also had my priming ram come loose on me before.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ahh.  That makes sense.  If I "feel" something really tight when priming, I generally pull that immediately and inspect it.  I guess I have had them, just never had them get all the way to a loaded round.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:02:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Nobody else has acknowledged the hard to pull back slide.  Primers don't have anything to do with that IMO.  

Also another guy here that has never had a high primer make it out in the field.  I do get some upset primers but they're easily catchable on a Dillon or single stage priming system.     I also inspect all my primers by putting them in ammo cases primer up.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 12:15:34 AM EDT
[#10]
I stopped having the issue when I picked up a RCBS primer pocket uniformer.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 1:06:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I stopped having the issue when I picked up a RCBS primer pocket uniformer.
View Quote

I only do that for match stuff.  No way would I uniform all my pockets.... especially blasting and pistol ammo.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 6:17:47 AM EDT
[#12]
So maybe the primers where not seated properly. But there's also the fact that it was hard to rack the slide to get them out of the gun.  What would 2 rounds be out of spec if 98 where good? What would cause that?
Thanks. I'm fairly new to reloading I've loaded around 2k 9mm rds so far and these 2 bad rounds where from the first batch of 200 I loaded.
124 berrys 9mm Winchester primers power pistol powder 5.0  fps 1075 avg.  1.145 coal.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 9:13:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 12:28:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

I treat all non-ferrous S&B brass as though it were crimped, I ream out the primer pocket.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 6:11:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'll also add at least in my experience, when the slide is hard to pull back, it tells me the rounds were loaded too long, and the bullet is sticking in the rifling.
View Quote

This is my choice. The off center hit to me sounds like the action was not fully locked so the firing pin was not centered with the chamber.

Motor
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 8:18:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This is my choice. The off center hit to me sounds like the action was not fully locked so the firing pin was not centered with the chamber.

Motor
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Motor

Makes sense thanks
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 9:02:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Make sure you have properly crimped al the rounds.... if 1-2 didn't get fully / properly crimped... your slide could do what you describe.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 3:26:26 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I treat all non-ferrous S&B brass as though it were crimped, I ream out the primer pocket.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Me too. Unfortunately I haven't found all of it yet.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:44:34 PM EDT
[#19]
" />

In recent months, increased my use of 9mm range pick up brass.  Case on the left loaded in Glock 19 - click when trigger pulled, no fire and no primer indent.  After pulling bullet discovered case is long.  First malfunction in Glock of this nature in a very long time.  From what I have read, a Glock is very capable of an out of battery fire.  Don't recall ever encountering a 9mm case that long.

Due to nature of brass, increased quality assurance checks at several points, to include plunk test in barrel for every round.  In so doing caught the round on the right, bad brass.

As stated, the problem for OP is more than just primers.    Need to check brass length, use case gage or barrel plunk test, check on bullet seating process, and OAL of loaded rounds.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:54:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
So maybe the primers where not seated properly. But there's also the fact that it was hard to rack the slide to get them out of the gun.  What would 2 rounds be out of spec if 98 where good? What would cause that?
Thanks. I'm fairly new to reloading I've loaded around 2k 9mm rds so far and these 2 bad rounds where from the first batch of 200 I loaded.
124 berrys 9mm Winchester primers power pistol powder 5.0  fps 1075 avg.  1.145 coal.
View Quote

How many of the 98 "good" rounds did you manually eject unfired? Your oal may be slightly to long on all of them, just not enough to prevent them from firing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top