Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/16/2016 12:59:01 AM EDT
I am just wondering what the results were? What caiber and brand bullet are you shooting?
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 1:05:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 2:06:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, loading them for 9, 40, 45.  

No issues so far. As accurate as my cast were with much less smoke and lead in the air.  

I'm a fan.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 2:17:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Blue Bullets in 9 and 45. I like them well enough and it smells like an electrical fire when you shoot them.

Link Posted: 1/16/2016 2:51:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Blue Bullets in 9 and 45. I like them well enough and it smells like an electrical fire when you shoot them.

<a href="http://s8.photobucket.com/user/mkern2520/media/100_0757_zpscc4f4689.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a42/mkern2520/100_0757_zpscc4f4689.jpg</a>
View Quote

I hope I like them (blue bullets) I just got 2K in 45 and 4K in 9mm.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 6:30:59 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

<a href="http://s8.photobucket.com/user/mkern2520/media/100_0757_zpscc4f4689.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a42/mkern2520/100_0757_zpscc4f4689.jpg</a>

I had good results with Blue Bullets. I switched over to Bayou Bullets because their coating doesn't come off on my hands. It doesn't effect the bullet, but it gets annoying to me.

I prefer them over plated. And for me it's all fairly clean ammo at the lowest price.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 8:50:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Mine are not PC, I coat mine with HI-TEK from Bayou Bullets.

http://www.bayoubullets.net/hi-tek-heat-set-super-coat-bullet-coating-call-donnie-at-225-324-4501/

I shoot them in 380, 9mm, 45ACP, 40 and 10MM.

Velocities range from 750fps to 1250fps with no leading, smoke or any other unwanted issues.

I will Never go back to a Cast Lubed bullet again.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 9:13:05 AM EDT
[#7]
i have had excellent results with Bayou bullets and SNS.

Coating is becoming far more common and lots of commercial casters are getting it right.

My experience has been it is easier to get a coated bullet to shoot well than a plated one.

For the cost of most plated bullets, I would a pay just a little more and buy FMJ.

Good loading and shooting
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 9:53:01 AM EDT
[#8]
I cast and coat my own. Hi-Tek for the win.

Link Posted: 1/16/2016 10:26:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Are the coated bullets compatible with glock barrels?

Link Posted: 1/16/2016 10:47:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Are the coated bullets compatible with glock barrels?

View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 11:30:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Hello, my name is Motor and I'm addicted to powder coating.

Seriously. I started to dry tumble powder coat about a year ago and am fully sold on it.

I cast my own bullets so there really isn't any brand there.

So far I have only used Harbor Freight red powder and at the rate its being used I'll probably be using it for a while. Estimates go into the 2 to 4 thousand range in how many bullets you could tumble coat with one pound of powder.

I currently coat: 380. 9mm, 38/357, 41,44,45, 500 S&W and 50 cal muzzleloader. (I use the 50 cal ML in the 500 S&W) but don't see any reason not to use them in the front loader.

Performance is great. I have also found I can use a little softer allow. So far unlike with lube where you always expect and get minor leading I am getting no lead fouling using PC (powder coating).

ETA: Forgot to mention 30 and 31 caliber rifle bullets too.
Motor
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 12:14:45 PM EDT
[#12]
I have shot a lot of Missouri Bullet Company, Bayou Bullets, Rocky Mountain Reloading, and Montana Gold bullets. Pretty much all I practice with is PC or plated rounds for cost. At this stage, I almost always go with RMR because their costs are barely more than PC for a fully copper plated round. They shoot more accurately than me (I'm terrible with a pistol).
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 12:33:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Is there a difference between Polymer (Blue Bullet etc) and powder coating?

I have tried everything but Polymer coated.
The Xtreme plated 200 gr SWC were crap for accuracy. Did see a post on another forum that indicated that not all plated are equal. This coating, low accuracy, thick coating better accuracy.
The Hi-Tek coating was OK, decent accuracy.
But nothing I have shot comes close to lubed lead. Currently shooting Delta Precision 185 gr SWC HP with match grade lube in 45 ACP.

Here is another discussion on this very topic in 1911 Forum.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 1:00:15 PM EDT
[#14]
I run the extreme .45 230 gn ball over 6 Gns of unique for 3gun and get really great results.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 3:37:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have shot a lot of Missouri Bullet Company, Bayou Bullets, Rocky Mountain Reloading, and Montana Gold bullets. Pretty much all I practice with is PC or plated rounds for cost. At this stage, I almost always go with RMR because their costs are barely more than PC for a fully copper plated round. They shoot more accurately than me (I'm terrible with a pistol).
View Quote

I was considering plated from RMR. They are supposed to be thick plated(.012"-.014") I think,which is pretty thick.But I am concerned about the softness of the plating compared to jacketed.They also have very good pricing for the plated and they also have pulled FMJ's at a good price.I am hesitant about the pulled,I like to see what I am getting before I buy.

The Missouri bullets and the Bayou's were some I was considering also.Pretty good pricing but the coated are close in price to the RMR plated/ pulled bullets.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 3:40:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s250.photobucket.com/user/dryflash3/media/Powder%20Coat/P1010905_zpsr3uylezi.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg272/dryflash3/Powder%20Coat/P1010905_zpsr3uylezi.jpg</a>

We call them Powder Coated, or PC for short.
View Quote

Good looking work Dryflash3.Where do you get your powder coating from? Is it bad to come off on your hands,dies,etc?
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 3:47:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I had good results with Blue Bullets. I switched over to Bayou Bullets because their coating doesn't come off on my hands. It doesn't effect the bullet, but it gets annoying to me.

I prefer them over plated. And for me it's all fairly clean ammo at the lowest price.
View Quote

Same for me.  Tried Blue Bullets but the coating scraped off too easilly,  Much happier with Bayou's product.  Will be switching over completely to their 200 g SWC for .45 and .158 SWC for .38/.357
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 3:56:39 PM EDT
[#18]
double tap , please delete
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 4:20:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 8:42:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Load coated bullets.  They're great!  

I use Ibeji-heads brand.  Quite accurate and the price is right, plus no leading.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 9:16:15 PM EDT
[#21]

Another PC'er here. Have coated for every caliber I load including rifles. Full house 10mm with no gas check, no problem in factory glock barrels.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 10:03:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Are PC bullets suitable to shoot on a public indoor range?
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 10:08:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't know why they wouldn't be. Any indoor range should have some sort of air movement and venting anyways, but I haven't found them to be smoky like plain lead tends to be. Does the range in question have rules against shooting plain lead?
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 10:20:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Don't know why they wouldn't be. Any indoor range should have some sort of air movement and venting anyways, but I haven't found them to be smoky like plain lead tends to be. Does the range in question have rules against shooting plain lead?
View Quote

I've been asked before if my ammunition is jacketed and brass cased.  They certainly don't enforce the brass rule, but I don't want to commit a party foul by smoking up the place.  Thanks for the help, I'm a new hand loader and have been using Berry's so far.  I'm looking to place an order for more bullets soon and am trying to decide if I should stay with plated or go to the slightly cheaper PC options.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 10:23:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have been reading in other forums about coated bullets and other shooters mentioned that their ranges allowed them when lubed cast bullets were not allowed .Your range could be an exception,only way to know is ask the range master.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 1:25:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Some .45 I loaded up for Mrs. Coyote3, using the "Shake-n'-Bake" method. They function and shoot great, without the usual smoke from traditional lubed bullets.

Page 2 is mine!

Link Posted: 1/17/2016 11:47:21 AM EDT
[#27]
The indoor range I go to allows pc bullets, but does not allow lead.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 1:07:42 PM EDT
[#28]

blue bullets, bayou, precision

Link Posted: 1/17/2016 1:34:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 2:01:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Some .45 I loaded up for Mrs. Coyote3, using the "Shake-n'-Bake" method. They function and shoot great, without the usual smoke from traditional lubed bullets.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=68775&prev=1
Page 2 is mine!

View Quote

Nice job coyote3,now Mrs.coyote3 will be ready for the zombie apocolypse.Ohhh I guess you are supposed to use green for zombies! lol
Are you using the Harbor Freight PC too!

You guys almost have me convinced to PC some lead I already have,plus buy some already coated!
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 2:05:15 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

Hey Derek45,what color shoots the best? How are the Bayou and the Precision bullets?
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 2:16:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Harbor Freight, I use the shake and bake method.

Once PC is baked on, it doesn't come off.

Yes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
<a href="http://s250.photobucket.com/user/dryflash3/media/Powder%20Coat/P1010905_zpsr3uylezi.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg272/dryflash3/Powder%20Coat/P1010905_zpsr3uylezi.jpg</a>

Good looking work Dryflash3.Where do you get your powder coating from? Is it bad to come off on your hands,dies,etc?
Do you cast and coat your own?

Yes.

Is this just the powder coat paint offered on Harbor's website or is it something else? What section do you find this in?
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 2:55:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Hey Derek45,what color shoots the best? How are the Bayou and the Precision bullets?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I've been shooting the Precision for a long time, in my IPSC STI 40 gun.
I like them alot

The bayou and Blue shoot about as well.

I tried them in my old Gen-2 Glock23, and they leaded up the stock barrel

The Bayou and Blue don't lead up the glock

but it doesn't matter anymore, because I installed a storm lake barrel in the G23

so, to answer you question,  now I buy what every is in stock, at the lowest price shipped.

They are all good.

Link Posted: 1/17/2016 5:50:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 10:31:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I bought mine at the local store.

<a href="http://s250.photobucket.com/user/dryflash3/media/Powder%20Coat/P1010910_zpsbkdyxwtn.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg272/dryflash3/Powder%20Coat/P1010910_zpsbkdyxwtn.jpg</a>

I doubt they have several "kinds" as they only offer 3 colors.

For the shake and bake method, only red works. Yellow and white do not stick with this method.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you cast and coat your own?

Yes.
Is this just the powder coat paint offered on Harbor's website or is it something else? What section do you find this in?

I bought mine at the local store.

<a href="http://s250.photobucket.com/user/dryflash3/media/Powder%20Coat/P1010910_zpsbkdyxwtn.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg272/dryflash3/Powder%20Coat/P1010910_zpsbkdyxwtn.jpg</a>

I doubt they have several "kinds" as they only offer 3 colors.

For the shake and bake method, only red works. Yellow and white do not stick with this method.

Thank you for sharing with me.I might have been pulling my hair out trying to figure this out! lol
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 11:47:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 12:01:55 AM EDT
[#37]
What is the benefit of PC bullets?  I had a friend load me up about 200 .45s (dark blue and reddish colors)...
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 12:40:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
What is the benefit of PC bullets?  I had a friend load me up about 200 .45s (dark blue and reddish colors)...
View Quote

Less smoke than conventional lubed lead. No leading unless you shave the coating while seating the bullet. Cost slightly lower than plated and most will agree that they also are more accurate than plated.

Generally speaking they are overall superior to plated while being only barely more expensive than normal lead. It's also a very simple process to do at home in your garage if you cast.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 1:13:09 AM EDT
[#39]
I just recently started PCing my 9mm cast bullets.  I'm liking it.

Only drawback is I have to be more secure in my masculinity.  My new cartridges look like little lipsticks.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 2:02:33 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Nice job coyote3,now Mrs.coyote3 will be ready for the zombie apocalypse. Ohhh I guess you are supposed to use green for zombies! lol

You guys almost have me convinced to PC some lead I already have,plus buy some already coated!
View Quote
I bought that particular powder from ebay.

Link Posted: 1/18/2016 2:21:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice job coyote3,now Mrs.coyote3 will be ready for the zombie apocalypse. Ohhh I guess you are supposed to use green for zombies! lol

You just answered my next question.Thank you.
Do you get leading from the bullets you powder coat?
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 2:25:44 PM EDT
[#42]
So what do you all think? Is the powder coat a suitable replacement for the lube on reg cast lead bullets or would the Hi-Tek or similar coating be better?
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 5:45:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 6:16:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
So what do you all think? Is the powder coat a suitable replacement for the lube on reg cast lead bullets or would the Hi-Tek or similar coating be better?
View Quote

PC is easier to apply and tougher imo.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 11:01:14 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View Quote
Since I started powder coating bullets, I haven't gone back to wax-lubing lead bullets. As long as the coating is baked sufficiently and the bullet is properly sized, I haven't had any problems with leading. Hi-Tek is a great coating, but requires a little more care in it's application (use of acetone to apply coating) and requires two coats.

Link Posted: 1/18/2016 11:34:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Ok so tell me.After you get through putting the powder coat on,I assume that you resize the bullets,right?  Since you are adding a coating,plus heating the bullet  I would think this is a necessity.Is it possible to heat treat the bullets at the same time as curing the powder coat?
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 11:40:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 12:45:05 AM EDT
[#48]
Is rule of thumb still .001 to .002 above barrel diameter on PC bullets (like cast) or does that go out the window with PC?

I am coating my first batch of 44cal bullets now for 44-40. My Rossi barrel slugs bigger than I was hoping (using 44mag/special barrels!!!). Mold is at .427 I use for SAA.  They run a little bigger due to temp, alloy, etc. But the Rossi slugs at .4285ish. Out of the oven, the coated bullets are over .430. Thinking I will size them down to .429 or maybe try them as coated.

Quoted:
Resizing after coating and baking depends on a lot of factors.

Am I installing a gas check? On some molds the gas check will only stay on after coating, because shank was too small to start with.

As PC may add .001 to .002 to the diameter.

Other times it depends on the bullet diameter and your desired diameter.

So you need to get out your caliper, measure you bullets, then decide what to do.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/19/2016 1:21:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 8:53:13 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I just recently started PCing my 9mm cast bullets.  I'm liking it.

Only drawback is I have to be more secure in my masculinity.  My new cartridges look like little lipsticks.
View Quote

Nothing wrong with that

" />

124gn acme coated bullets.

Blue bullets are great to!

" />
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top