Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/23/2015 10:40:08 PM EDT
I have a quick question, although I have been chamfering the mouth of my casings before I load my 178gr Amax into them, sometimes the case shaves a bit of the jacket on the bullet when I seat them. My question is, will the small amount of jacket shaved off cause accuracy issues?
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 10:49:37 PM EDT
[#1]
It possibly can. I got a K&M expander iron to insure the correct neck size and remove any burrs. https://www.kmshooting.com/catalog/case-neck-expanding-tools/expand-iron_complete.html . Before using this, I could tell the difference with neck tension while setting the bullet. With this, most are uniform now.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 12:23:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Get a VLD type tool.   I have the Lyman and it's been great for more years than I can remember.

Link Posted: 11/24/2015 1:19:36 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Get a VLD type tool.   I have the Lyman and it's been great for more years than I can remember.

http://accurateshooter.net/Blog/lymanchamfererx350.jpg
View Quote

This. I have a newer lyman (head looks the same as yours) that I use in my RCBS prep station. I'm never going back to a 45 degree chamfer.

Are you making sure that your mouths are completely chamfered? I can't imagine how they couldn't be, but it's worth a look.

Don't be afraid to give the tool a few turns and get a good bevel on the inside of the case. You need more than just knocking the sharp edge off.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 1:54:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 1:26:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Now that you mention it, the chamfer that I am putting on my casings seems steep, it looks like maybe just a little more narrow than a 45, I'll pick up a vld
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 4:22:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I remember reading an article/test a few months ago that someone did that indicated imperfections in the base of the bullet impact accuracy more than at the tip FWIW.  

I use the lyman chamfer/deburring, technically I just use the bits, I use a cordless screwdriver (not a drill) with a adapter to let me attach it to the screwdriver.  When you reach the point you're deburring 100's of cases at a time you either get world class man hands or you go power tool.

Link Posted: 11/24/2015 5:43:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I will keep that in mind, although the most I have done at once is about 150, I still would like it to be easier for me all around. Thank you guys for the advice, now I'm off to buy a vld chamfer tool.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top