Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2015 8:14:02 PM EDT
I have a Dillon XL650 and am looking to find another way to swage my LC .308. Im tired of the slow process. I have read a lot on this forum about the GS Custom swage but all of the posts were from a long time ago and would like an update. Did it actually work well?

I appreciate the help.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 9:32:22 PM EDT
[#1]
30k of 556 so far without any issues.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 9:39:46 PM EDT
[#2]
running mine for 308  sweettttttttttttttttttttttttt
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 12:11:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 12:24:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies. Why does the GS Custom void the warranty? Also, while looking on eBay I found this swage: Link to other swage

Has anyone used this one?
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 12:39:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 1:49:27 PM EDT
[#6]
It uses the same force to swage as it does to prime. It bottoms out just like the primer system on the 650. I add a drop of oil to the swager tip everyItime I dump new brass in the hopper. If something was going to break it would have done it during the 30k that I have done. I haven't heard of anyone having issues and even if you did GS said they will replace what ever broke. As far as the warranty how would they ever know unless you told them? I did get the shell plate because it is made better. The dillion one I had I had to send back because one of the holes was out of spec. They did send me a new one but I'm still using the GS one because of the better metal and fit.
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 2:27:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Good to hear. I don't see that they have a shell plate for sale anymore. What do you think about this swage?

Link Posted: 9/9/2015 6:24:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 10:07:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It uses the same force to swage as it does to prime. It bottoms out just like the primer system on the 650. I add a drop of oil to the swager tip everyItime I dump new brass in the hopper. If something was going to break it would have done it during the 30k that I have done. I haven't heard of anyone having issues and even if you did GS said they will replace what ever broke. As far as the warranty how would they ever know unless you told them? I did get the shell plate because it is made better. The dillion one I had I had to send back because one of the holes was out of spec. They did send me a new one but I'm still using the GS one because of the better metal and fit.
View Quote

Not according to Dillon, lots of info on the swages over on brian enos forums.

Dillion has posted many times about voiding warranty and the hazards of using that swager.  Now whether you believe that or if you care about voiding warranty is a personal choice.

Link Posted: 9/9/2015 11:35:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Im not that concerned about the warranty because after looking at it, this thing is built like a tank. Now its just a choice of the which swage that i want. Has anyone used the swage that I posted above? Im leaning toward it because it doesn't require disassembly of the primer wheel, but only if it works.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 7:37:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 8:48:25 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Dillion has posted many times about voiding warranty and the hazards of using that swager. Now whether you believe that or if you care about voiding warranty is a personal choice.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Dillion has posted many times about voiding warranty and the hazards of using that swager. Now whether you believe that or if you care about voiding warranty is a personal choice.

It probably uses a bit more force than priming.  Your biggest risks are breaking a shell plate and destroying brass.  I use the GS Custom swager and I haven't broken a shell plate yet.  If I do break one I can pay for a new one.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 4:38:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Like I said mine has been such a time saver. My labor alone is worth several new dillions.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 5:11:34 PM EDT
[#14]
The only way I would use it is if I bought the backing dies that the S1050 uses for each caliber that I plan on swaging.

Honestly though I don't even plan on using the swager on my S1050 as I use mixed brass so the SS600 works better as I can set it for the most aggressive brass and use "feel" to only swage what is needed on the rest.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 8:29:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The only way I would use it is if I bought the backing dies that the S1050 uses for each caliber that I plan on swaging.
View Quote

The 650 doesn't prime on the down stroke, so those backing dies wouldn't help.

That said, I found too many mixed reviews and went for the Dillon bench swager myself.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 9:30:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That said, I found too many mixed reviews and went for the Dillon bench swager myself.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doh!  I don't know how I didn't think of that since I have a 550B as well.  Brain fart I guess.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 4:12:15 PM EDT
[#17]
I purchased both the GS Custom and The Swage It as I couldn't decide. lol.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 4:21:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I purchased both the GS Custom and The Swage It as I couldn't decide. lol.
View Quote

now you're obligated to test both and report back with a review

Link Posted: 9/12/2015 3:34:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Will do
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 6:35:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 7:04:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Derek45, here is my comparison of the swagers: