Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2015 3:44:18 PM EDT
I am thinking of trying some S & B primers for my practice ammo.  I have been using Tula primers (got them super cheap back in the day) for awhile and they run about a 3-4 per hundred light strike ratio in my match Glocks.  My Winchester primer reloads that I use for competition run 100% in the same pistols.

From what I know, primers run from softest to hardest in this order.....Fed, Rem, Win, CCI, Russian

Where do the S&B primers fall on this scale?

Are they a little softer than Wolf/Tula?

Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:02:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Only buy them if you are wanting to run failure drills.  You will have more failure to fire's than with the Tula's.  The cups are extremely hard
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:45:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Only buy them if you are wanting to run failure drills.  You will have more failure to fire's than with the Tula's.  The cups are extremely hard
View Quote

Thats what Ive been doing with the Tula primers in my practice ammo.  Usually though, I run them thru a second time and they go bang.  

So the S&B primers are definitely harder than Wolf/Tula????
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 5:49:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:55:18 PM EDT
[#4]
In my experience I had better luck with S&B vs Tula in my M&P40 and Apex trigger.  After the trigger job I'd get light strikes on my primer with the Tula, but only very rarely with the S&B's.  Personally, they are my go to practice primer for now.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:38:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

If primers fire on a second strike, they were not fully seated.

First strike fully seats them and they don't fire.

Second strike fires fully seated primer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Only buy them if you are wanting to run failure drills. You will have more failure to fire's than with the Tula's. The cups are extremely hard

Thats what Ive been doing with the Tula primers in my practice ammo. Usually though, I run them thru a second time and they go bang.

So the S&B primers are definitely harder than Wolf/Tula????

It's weird....I have ZERO issues with my Win primers loaded on the exact same setup on my 650.  Loading the Tula primers I do find them to load a little bit "harder".  When running the Tula primered reloads thru the gun again, sometimes they go bang and sometimes they do not.  I end up having to pull a handful down everyonce in awhile.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:08:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

truth
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:49:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I've never used the Tula primers but I have used all of the other ones and the S&B's are definitely the hardest. They run fine in my SVI 2011 and G43. My Sig P226 doesn't like them with a 21lb hammer spring so I Federal for it. Dryflash is right that most times if they fire the second time it's because they weren't seated, but not always. I have tested some in my P226 that I know we're fully seated and still didn't fire the 1st time but would the 2nd time due to the firing pin strikes being a little off center.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:16:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought some at my local gun and I usually use the Winchester ones.  I was pleasantly surprised that I had no issues with them.  I made my usual 147 gr 9mm loads with TG and used the S&B primers over the winchester ones.  They worked great.  I actually think they seat better in my 650.  Visually, the appear to have a flatter appearance the other primers.  I shot mine from a USP and MP5.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:29:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been using the large rifle primers for my45/70 loads with good results.
I just picked w 3k of large pistol for 45acp, I'm hoping they will work in my 1911
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 6:35:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Been looking at the S&B's...they're a good price these days.

I'll order some in my next bulk purchase.

I've been using Tula and Wolf SP's and LP's for several years now and have had very good results.

Two range trips ago I had my first and only Wolf LP failure with a single primer.  It took five hammer strikes to finally set it off in a Springfield 1911.

I think some folks have issues with them because they are not seating them hard enough.

I've always seated the Russian primers with a good amount of force (pressure).

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:37:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I use S&B's a lot and they are very hard. They will sometimes FTF in my Sig P226 HK USP with lightened mainsprings. Using CCI's (still relatively hard) I have less problems. Using winchesters, they run flawlessly. I still buy S&B's for practice cause they're cheap, very nicely made, and it's not a bad thing to practice with a FTF every now and then. If they were a bit softer, they'd be the only primers I buy.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:44:50 PM EDT
[#12]
I've had issues with running lightened springs in my P226 with the S&B primers. They do seem to be much harder than most other brands. With the stock mainspring in the SIG I haven't had any issues but when I tried 17 and 19 lb springs I was getting light strikes.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 1:16:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Unfortunately, I must agree with the general consensus, as stated in this thread, of S&B primers.

Also, consistent with the advice in this thread, I seated the S&B primers deeper than usual, as some primer failures would discharge on the second strike. At first, I thought the S&B primers might be 'shorter' than other primers (thus not being fully seated), as I used the same seating depth the CCI primers and never had an issue with CCI primers. When I calipered the primers, they were of the same measurements.

I ordered 50,000 S&B SP primers (that's how many will fit into one haz mat fee), and I've shot about 35,000 of them. I notice more failures than usual. Not a lot of failures; rather, perhaps, one out of 2,000 primers. However, prior to using the S&B primers, I was using CCI and don't remember any failures with the CCI.

S&B primers have the advantage of being readily available in massive quantities and for a reasonable price.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:22:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Tossing this around a bit. I'd mostly be running these out of a cz that has had some action work including a 11.5 spring. When I shoot IDPA I'm running ESP so I'm running SA rather than the DA. I can probably put the stock mainspring back in and basically do nothing to the SA trigger pull, but get much more reliable ignition.

If I reason that out then I'm just wondering how many to take a chance with.

I'd rather not have any ftfs but I have to admit, compared to winchester primers' that I have been using at almost double the price, it's hard to not want to order some s&b to give them a shot.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:40:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Good question as I have been wondering the same thing. I shot though 20K Wolf SP last year with good results and just cracked my first sleeve of the Tula SP and will be running them for the rest of the USPSA season to see how they do. I'm only about 100 in from testing my pet load with the new primers but I haven't had any problems with them, even on a Sig 226 that won't reliably light up the Wolf SPP.

Since I can't seem to find Wolf or Tula SP's anywhere, I've been looking at the S&B's but am hesitant. I know 95% of the time I have a case that won't case gauge or has tight primer pocket resulting in a high primer, it will be a S&B case and that is not confidence inspiring.

I've thought of picking up some LP's for reloading .45 in a 1911 but haven't made up my mind yet.

The cabelas sale price has me interested, but with CCI's at $24.00, I might just go to those.

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:49:06 AM EDT
[#16]
I have had zero issues with the S&B primers.  But I am not using reduced power springs in my pistols.
They are cheap for sure, I have 1k left and will get more.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 10:17:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have had zero issues with the S&B primers.  But I am not using reduced power springs in my pistols.
View Quote

Any 1911 use?
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 6:59:44 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm at about 3k from my 15k order, they run great in my Dillon 1050 and I've not had a single failure in any of my CZ's with 13.5lbs. reduced power springs.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:22:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Unfortunately, I must agree with the general consensus, as stated in this thread, of S&B primers.

Also, consistent with the advice in this thread, I seated the S&B primers deeper than usual, as some primer failures would discharge on the second strike. At first, I thought the S&B primers might be 'shorter' than other primers (thus not being fully seated), as I used the same seating depth the CCI primers and never had an issue with CCI primers. When I calipered the primers, they were of the same measurements.

I ordered 50,000 S&B SP primers (that's how many will fit into one haz mat fee), and I've shot about 35,000 of them. I notice more failures than usual. Not a lot of failures; rather, perhaps, one out of 2,000 primers. However, prior to using the S&B primers, I was using CCI and don't remember any failures with the CCI.

S&B primers have the advantage of being readily available in massive quantities and for a reasonable price.
View Quote

I think the timing of this thread coincides with cabelas having a $19.99 sale on these primers.  

So assuming other brand primers, be they CCI, Winchester, etc all run in the $30 range ten bucks is a huge savings.  
Had you bought any other brand of primer you would have spent an additional  $5000 on the 50k you bought.  
That's a lot of money.  I would be 100%  satisfied with you failure rate!
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:39:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Any 1911 use?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any 1911 use?

All my S&B LP primers went bang every time In SA, L Baer and Para 1911s
All my S&B SP primers did the same in a few different CZ pistols.

I bought them years ago (10k) in a mixed lot of reloading supplies from a friend.  Good friend too, last time i got primers that cheap.  Something like 40k of primers alone, and 20# of powder.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 12:50:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Any of those cz's have an 11.5 mainspring?

Quoted:

I bought them years ago (10k) in a mixed lot of reloading supplies from a friend.  Good friend too, last time i got primers that cheap.  Something like 40k of primers alone, and 20# of powder.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any 1911 use?

Link Posted: 8/5/2015 2:35:50 AM EDT
[#22]
how about in a AR 15 ? Small rifle primmer
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 11:44:10 PM EDT
[#23]
I have run a couple of thousand S&B primers through my Glock 35 and 17. Both guns are running 4lb striker springs. I did have a few ftf but this was because they were not seated deep enough. That was the problem I had with them, they were very hard to seat on both my presses.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top