Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/3/2015 6:21:25 PM EDT
I am looking to add a single stage press to my bench. I have a progressive but need a single stage press for some things, like bullet pulling, load development and small batches of match ammo.

I am considering one of the 3 presses and would appreciate opinions from you guys.

The Redding Big Boss II can take the Hornady LnL adaptor so I could quickly change dies.

The Redding T7 allows me to leave dies in it most of the time. However when using the RCBS bullet puller I would have to remove dies to swing the handle. Had this issue with an RCBS turret press.

The Forster Co-Ax looks interesting and is also quick change.

I plan to load .308, .30-06, 7.62x54R, 7.62x39, .45ACP and some match .223.

Please offer your advice and reasons for or against a particular press.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 6:44:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I have both the Coax and Redding T7. The coax is an awesome press however it does not have the proper clearance to allow some bullet pulling dies to function correctly or to use measurement dies with a dial read out. That is where the T7 shines.

For resizing, seating bullets, and small batch load development- I prefer the Coax. Evidently so do others because you seldom see them for sale on the used market.

Both  the T7 and Coax are very nice presses capable of turning out match grade ammo. Both have excellent primer catch systems that do not allow spent  primers to leak out on the floor.  

The big boss is certainly a quality press. Its just a little less versatile than the other two....

Just one old guys experience.

Good loading and shooting.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 11:41:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a Redding Big Boss II and would recommend the COAX.  The casting for the Big Boss is sloppy, I was really disappointed when I got mine taken apart to fix a binding issue it had in the linkages.  The bearing surfaces for the linkages had plenty of voids in them and were collecting paint, grit and grime and making it very difficult work the handle.

Redding has really let me down on this one.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:28:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a Redding Big Boss II and would recommend the COAX.  The casting for the Big Boss is sloppy, I was really disappointed when I got mine taken apart to fix a binding issue it had in the linkages.  The bearing surfaces for the linkages had plenty of voids in them and were collecting paint, grit and grime and making it very difficult work the handle.

View Quote

Did you ask Redding for a replacement unit due to manufacturing defects?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:46:14 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I fixed the mess I had and got it working.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:45:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Forster makes a specific Collet Bullet Puller for use with a Co-Ax Press.  

The T-7 will last a life time and then some!  And, when worn out will work as a boat anchor.

The Co-Ax Press works great! The problem can be finding one at times.  Although, I believe Forster is making more per year, than a while back when it was just 500 every quarter or so.

The operator controls the quality of the ammo turned out.  NOT THE PRESS!  

You can not over come poor reloading skills with a press!  NEVER EVER GOING TO HAPPEN!

I would take the T-7 if I had limited space!
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:44:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I am tossed up between the Co-Ax and the T7 now. I know both are good.

Space is not the issue but certainly I do not want a collection of presses. I have a progressive for cranking out ammo. I want/need a press for pulling bullets and small batch runs.

The Co-Ax is nice because change over is as simple as it gets. No shell holders just slide the die in and out. The T7 is nice because I can turn the turret and do different functions.

From what I read the new Co-Ax press has more clearance for tall dies. I use a couple of Redding bullet seaters with micrometers. If you look at pictures online you can clearly see there is more clearance with newer press.

I may pull the trigger on a press today because Midway has free shipping today only.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:47:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I had a Big Boss and a Co-Ax at the same time.

Now I only have a Co-Ax.  I am very happy.  I mounted mine on a Dillon Strong mount and it is even better.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:24:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I am tossed up between the Co-Ax and the T7 now. I know both are good.

Space is not the issue but certainly I do not want a collection of presses. I have a progressive for cranking out ammo. I want/need a press for pulling bullets and small batch runs.

The Co-Ax is nice because change over is as simple as it gets. No shell holders just slide the die in and out. The T7 is nice because I can turn the turret and do different functions.

From what I read the new Co-Ax press has more clearance for tall dies. I use a couple of Redding bullet seaters with micrometers. If you look at pictures online you can clearly see there is more clearance with newer press.

I may pull the trigger on a press today because Midway has free shipping today only.
View Quote

If you perceive the main advantage of the Co-Ax to be  quick change-over, there's nothing on the market faster than simply spinning the turret of a T-7.  The T-7 wins in that regard.

Owning a T-7 and having read about the Co-Ax, I'm sure you will be pleased either way you go.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 4:50:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I have been very happy with my CoAx.

Rockchucker is mostly for pulling bullets anymore.

Slowly converting all my dies to Forster lock rings.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 6:05:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a newer coax (two years old) and it has plenty of clearance for my 223 Forster micrometer seating die. It's a great press.

I have no experience with the other presses.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:41:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I just placed my order for a Co-ax with Midway. They had a one day free shipping deal. I look forward to setting it up next weekend and trying it out.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:36:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I just placed my order for a Co-ax with Midway. They had a one day free shipping deal. I look forward to setting it up next weekend and trying it out.
View Quote

Got mine this week. Simple setup. Primer system is a bit odd. I really don't like it. Truth is I haven't spent any time with owners manual but I don't think there is anything you can write to talk me into that primer system. I didn't buy it for that though. Will continue to use my hand primer.

Still trying to get a rythm. Here are a couple things I don't like.

1. When in the lower position, the case is not supported or held in place at all. Careful not to bump especially if case is full. Of course, this is supposed to be the benefit of this system but you can't just leave a case in the press like any other press.

2. I am still having some issues with the case holder. I have it installed correctly (with correct sized end of curved holder installed). But for some reason, my 7.5x55 cases keep getting stuck in it. When the teeth open up on the down stroke, one side drags it across the holder and keeps it on holder. Takes a little wiggle to get it off. Again, I need to re-read the manual but doesn't seem right.

3. The screw that sets the opening of the jaws on down stroke keeps loosening. Jaws drift more closed as time goes on. Don't see a way to fix this.

Anyway, no press is perfect. Happy with purchase but I need to work out bugs. The ability to pop die in/out is fantastic. I used die with forster, lee and hornady rings all without any drift or issue.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 8:04:08 PM EDT
[#13]
oops
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 8:06:16 PM EDT
[#14]
My press came yesterday. had a chance this afternoon to unbox it. I use the Inline fabrication quick change plates. I have 2 mounts on my bench. One was empty since I sold my RCBS turret press.

First impressions are:

1. I made a great choice.

2. The press is light and smaller than I pictured it. A plus in my book. The Inline fabrication mount I will use for this press shares space with a couple other tools.

3. Tons of leverage.

4. I like the shell holder. I mostly will be pulling bullets, depriming and creating small batches of ammo so this is a nice feature.

5. Easy to insert a case.

6. Easy to see what is happening.

7. Die changes are super quick.

So far the only thing I can see that is not ideal is the priming system. I am not too worried as I have the RCBS bench primer which works awesome.

Link Posted: 7/10/2015 8:35:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My press came yesterday. had a chance this afternoon to unbox it. I use the Inline fabrication quick change plates. I have 2 mounts on my bench. One was empty since I sold my RCBS turret press.

First impressions are:

3. Tons of leverage.

View Quote

My dad took my handle off and made a stubby handle out of a piece of broomstick because he said it had too much leverage and throw. We don't load anything bigger than 338 win and usually load 300 Savage and smaller

The primer catch tube and jar works wonderfully, you will love it.

The priming system is slow, but it is accurate and repeatable. I primed 300 223 in one shot.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 9:10:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Anyone have an opinion of the Redding Ultramag press?
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 10:19:50 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Anyone have an opinion of the Redding Ultramag press?
View Quote

Other than the linkages getting in the way?  I'll never buy another Redding press after the one I got and then seeing a friends press with the same issues.  Their castings suck.

Link Posted: 7/11/2015 2:00:36 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

First impressions are:

2. The press is light and smaller than I pictured it. A plus in my book. The Inline fabrication mount I will use for this press shares space with a couple other tools.

3. Tons of leverage.

4. I like the shell holder. I mostly will be pulling bullets, depriming and creating small batches of ammo so this is a nice feature.

So far the only thing I can see that is not ideal is the priming system. I am not too worried as I have the RCBS bench primer which works awesome.

View Quote

The priming system sucks. There's no two ways about it. After reading the Midway review on Forster's bench mounted primer I have came to the conclusion they just don't know how to make a good priming system.

Now, everything else Forster that I own (press, dies) are awesome. The big thing with the Co-Ax is the dies kind of "float". This helps keep everything lined up better.

I still have an RCBS Rock Chucker for pulling bullets, but the Co-Ax sees more use than any press, including my Dillon 650. I load all of my rifle ammo on it and I'm shooting quite a bit of rifle these days and less handgun. If someone is looking for the best possible single stage I wouldn't recommend anything other than the Co-Ax.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 10:38:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The priming system sucks. There's no two ways about it. After reading the Midway review on Forster's bench mounted primer I have came to the conclusion they just don't know how to make a good priming system.

Now, everything else Forster that I own (press, dies) are awesome. The big thing with the Co-Ax is the dies kind of "float". This helps keep everything lined up better.

I still have an RCBS Rock Chucker for pulling bullets, but the Co-Ax sees more use than any press, including my Dillon 650. I load all of my rifle ammo on it and I'm shooting quite a bit of rifle these days and less handgun. If someone is looking for the best possible single stage I wouldn't recommend anything other than the Co-Ax.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

First impressions are:

3. Tons of leverage.

Hopefully tomorrow I can try the press more.

For pulling bullets I may pick up a cheap single stage like a Lee if the co-ax is a pain. I don't need to pull bullets often enough I need a dedicated press for it.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 1:13:54 PM EDT
[#20]
T7 owner here. I would not hesitate to buy again.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 2:18:22 PM EDT
[#21]
I went through this decision chain recently as well. My new T7 gets here Monday. <bananadance>
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 4:08:46 PM EDT
[#22]
I used the Co-Ax today to decap a bunch of brass. The press works awesome. I am very happy. I will size some .45ACP tomorrow to try that out.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 10:56:33 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I used the Co-Ax today to decap a bunch of brass. The press works awesome. I am very happy. I will size some .45ACP tomorrow to try that out.

View Quote

I've been sizing .308 Win to .300 Savage in one pull with a standard .300 Savage FL die.

That Co-Ax will put out some serious force.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 11:02:40 PM EDT
[#24]
I have a T-7 for all my small batch work, and to size .223. Works get, buy a few extra heads if you do a lot of reload different calibers.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 11:37:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have a T-7 for all my small batch work, and to size .223. Works get, buy a few extra heads if you do a lot of reload different calibers.
View Quote

I ended up buying the Co-ax. I had an RCBS turret press but sold it. There was a tiny bit of play in the turret that annoyed me and I really did not use it to its potential. I like the idea of slipping a die in and out as needed.

My progressive press is for running batches. I plan to use the single stage for load development, de capping odd calibers, and pulling bullets.

The Redding T7 was a possibility but I decided against it because it was a lot heavier than the co-ax. It will share an inline fabrication mount with other devices.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top