Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 5/27/2015 11:28:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bm3]
So we all know anytime something new comes out its gonna have a few kinks .

So far I have found 2

1 plastic parts that break , this is part of the priming system .

2 my bullet feeder wont work with this press.  I don't really care because I ordered the MR bullet feeder for all my cals anyway.

The spent primer tube is pretty sweet ,

The die plates are held in by rotating them in place and then locking them down with 3 set screws.  Very solid design.  

Here are some random pics of the shell holder and die plates.

The press it's self is really plug and play in that it doesn't really have anything to adjust outside of dies and powder drop.

The press is smooth and before I broke the priming system it ran great .

One thing I really like it how the shell plate rotates , it will go fast or slow depending on how you operate it.  

Anyway that's all I have until I get all my parts in.  I'll call RCBS about the priming system tomorrow and see what they say .
Maybe they'll have a fix for it.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:49:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Send RCBS an email with this link.  I'm sure hey would appreciate some feedback on their products.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:30:18 AM EDT
[#2]
From the one picture it appears as though it uses a Magazine type primer system.

Is this correct? Or does it use the APS priming system?
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:35:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By unknownhavoc:
From the one picture it appears as though it uses a Magazine type primer system.

View Quote

Tube type magazine.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:52:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By unknownhavoc:

View Quote

It uses primer tubes.  That's the priming arm.  

I'll get a pic of the tube tonight
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:33:16 PM EDT
[#5]
The shell plate looks like the shells slide into the shell plate and are supported by the shell plate instead of the sub-plate - is that true?

Is there any adjustment for the timing or priming system?
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:19:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, after seeing that the primer slides are plastic I withdraw my comments about them being based on the S1050 from the other thread.  That is really disappointing actually.  I honestly wonder what will happen when you have a primer go off in the slide?  The S1050 doesn't care from what I have seen since it is steel and you just drive on.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:33:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#7]
Plastic = bad!

Okay, there are few places plastic is the best choice but they are few,

How accessible are the lock rings on a fully populated tool head?  Will there be access when a 7 die tool head is used??
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:15:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Twoboxer] [#8]
Always great to see new equipment - THANKS !!

The primer slide being plastic is (perhaps) one way to control the amount of pressure put on a primer if things somehow jam. Hornady uses a plastic support bracket on the primer slide cam rod . . . too much pressure and the bracket bends/breaks and/or the cam rod springs out of its pocket.

With the press in front of you, I wonder if you can see any reason why RCBS design has the case head resting on the shell plate rather than the subplate? Using the subplate would seem to eliminate some manufacturing tolerances from stacking up against us lol.(ie, clearance between shell plate and subplate, and surface/thickness control on the shell plates.). What does the subplate look like without the shell plate?

ETA: Nevermind lol, you show it in one of your photos . . . pretty clear why.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:24:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By rtpguy:
The shell plate looks like the shells slide into the shell plate and are supported by the shell plate instead of the sub-plate - is that true?

Is there any adjustment for the timing or priming system?
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:26:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By jlficken:
Well, after seeing that the primer slides are plastic I withdraw my comments about them being based on the S1050 from the other thread.  That is really disappointing actually.  I honestly wonder what will happen when you have a primer go off in the slide?  The S1050 doesn't care from what I have seen since it is steel and you just drive on.
View Quote

I talked to RCBS today about it.  The said I'm the first and are sending me out more primer slides .

I might make my own .
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:28:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Trollslayer:
Plastic = bad!

Okay, there are few places plastic is the best choice but they are few,

How accessible are the lock rings on a fully populated tool head?  Will there be access when a 7 die tool head is used??
View Quote

Plenty of room on the 5 , I won't know about the 7 until I convert.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:29:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Here's another pic of the spent primer tube.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:07:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:41:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bm3] [#14]
Ok I fixed the primer feeding issue with a different spring.  

The spring that the press came  with was being over stretched and sprung.  

Wen to home depot  and got a bunch of springs, found one that works and now it runs like a champ .

I think the spring was pulling to hard on the primer bar and putting pressure on the tab.  

I'll run some ammo tomorrow night and get back.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:04:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Worse come to worse with breaking the plastic tab off the primer slide.  A guy could just take it, drill a hole and insert a roll pin in.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:09:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Kaldor:
Worse come to worse with breaking the plastic tab off the primer slide.  A guy could just take it, drill a hole and insert a roll pin in.  
View Quote

Tried that lastnight.  Didn't work.  

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:27:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 10:34:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By dryflash3:

Sounded like a good fix though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bm3:

The slide is just thin enough that the pin will break through after a few pulls.  

If it was metal it would work
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 11:31:24 AM EDT
[#19]

The slide is just thin enough that the pin will break through after a few pulls.  

View All Quotes

Worth a shot I guess.  This piece should be steel or aluminum.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 11:51:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Ok I fixed the primer feeding issue with a different spring.  

The spring that the press came  with was being over stretched and sprung.  

Wen to home depot  and got a bunch of springs, found one that works and now it runs like a champ .

I think the spring was pulling to hard on the primer bar and putting pressure on the tab.  

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x332/Mike_Boles/5A672E46-F3CA-40CD-8FD5-DF59F8AC05BD_zpszrgqgmbo.jpg

I'll run some ammo tomorrow night and get back.
View Quote

Interesting pic in how that spring 'wraps' around the primer tube and brackets - looks like something will wear over time in there from the movement - dunno if it'd be the spring, the primer tube, the primer tube bracket and/or the allen bolt, but interested to see in 1-2K rounds or so.  Shouldn't be a big deal other than probably the spring becoming a 'consumable' item over time, as long as it doesn't wear down the primer tube.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:06:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GWhis] [#21]
Looking at the O.P. picture reposted below, it appears that the new presses copied the plastic ring around the subplate that holds the case keeper springs.  Verify...plastic?  When I bought my Pro 2000, they were rarer than hens teeth, the January after the first Obama election.  So to get what I wanted I had to buy a manual-advance press and the auto-advance kit separately.  I had to remove that plastic part and reattach it to the auto-advance subplate that came in the kit.

Bull in a china closet I was, when I retightened that ring and broke it at one of the tightening screws.  Not a problem since in 6 years, but beware, don't over tighten that piece.  More than likely you will not have to since when you upgrade to 7 stations they will supply a subplate with a different pre-assembled subplace and ring.  (spring & keepers are steel of course)

BTW, was your breakage caused by something you were not supposed to do, or just a weak part?  It would appear that that part will see heavy use and will need to be strong enough for that use....strange it would be plastic.....safety maybe?  If so they will send you more than one, and will keep a huge supply for replacements....that's their MO.  Your first picture shows two part one hole and one broken.  They must have sent two with the press.....as you are still loading.  Duh! one for small and one for large primers...

The plastic circle was for cost savings....and since it doesn't move, it's fine.

Notice the Zerk at the bottom....RCBS is into zerks now......my Summit has one too.

Interesting pic in how that spring 'wraps' around the primer tube and brackets - looks like something will wear over time in there from the movement - dunno if it'd be the spring, the primer tube, the primer tube bracket and/or the allen bolt, but interested to see in 1-2K rounds or so.  Shouldn't be a big deal other than probably the spring becoming a 'consumable' item over time, as long as it doesn't wear down the primer tube.
View Quote

In the top picture where the spring is stretched, it doesn't wrap.....only when it comes back.  With the spring at rest it probably won't wear much.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:56:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By GWhis:
Looking at the O.P. picture reposted below, it appears that the new presses copied the plastic ring around the subplate that holds the case keeper springs.  Verify...plastic?  When I bought my Pro 2000, they were rarer than hens teeth, the January after the first Obama election.  So to get what I wanted I had to buy a manual-advance press and the auto-advance kit separately.  I had to remove that plastic part and reattach it to the auto-advance subplate that came in the kit.

Bull in a china closet I was, when I retightened that ring and broke it at one of the tightening screws.  Not a problem since in 6 years, but beware, don't over tighten that piece.  More than likely you will not have to since when you upgrade to 7 stations they will supply a subplate with a different pre-assembled subplace and ring.  (spring & keepers are steel of course)

BTW, was your breakage caused by something you were not supposed to do, or just a weak part?  It would appear that that part will see heavy use and will need to be strong enough for that use....strange it would be plastic.....safety maybe?  If so they will send you more than one, and will keep a huge supply for replacements....that's their MO.  Your first picture shows two part one hole and one broken.  They must have sent two with the press.....as you are still loading.  Duh! one for small and one for large primers...

The plastic circle was for cost savings....and since it doesn't move, it's fine.

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x332/Mike_Boles/2281F3AB-914E-41EF-B8C1-B13371AF6066_zpsupschfn2.jpg

Notice the Zerk at the bottom....RCBS is into zerks now......my Summit has one too.

In the top picture where the spring is stretched, it doesn't wrap.....only when it comes back.  With the spring at rest it probably won't wear much.

View All Quotes

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x332/Mike_Boles/2281F3AB-914E-41EF-B8C1-B13371AF6066_zpsupschfn2.jpg

Zerks are good.  I actually sold one of my 550B's because it didn't have a zerk and my other one did as the syringe method is a PITA.  Not needing 2 of them it was an easy choice which one to part with.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:30:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 6:12:54 PM EDT
[#24]

View All Quotes

Yes it's  plastic just like the pro2000 but with this press it doesn't have to be removed for anything other than replacement ...

The press comes with 2 small primer slides and 2 large primer slider.  I broke both small slides .

I must have had a bad spring ,  the new spring works great and now it works great.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 9:40:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bm3] [#25]
Self edit ,  problem solved press runs great.  

Keep reading.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 9:57:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 10:19:28 PM EDT
[#27]
So I'm thinking that setting it up to turn .223 in to 300blk with a RT1200 or 1500 is a no go
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 10:25:46 PM EDT
[#28]
It's never a good sign when they include 2 of certain parts (that aren't easily lost) with the press like they expect you to break them.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 10:40:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By angus6:
So I'm thinking that setting it up to turn .223 in to 300blk with a RT1200 or 1500 is a no go
View Quote

It will run fine for that as long as you don't want to prime.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 11:02:06 PM EDT
[#30]

View All Quotes

Never heard of anyone priming and trimming .223 down to 300blk at the same time. Just looks as if toolhead is thicker then a Dillon tololhead which needs to be machined to trim 300blk, would like to see someone attempt to do it as I've got a buddy that's starting to get the itch for a new press
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 11:05:04 PM EDT
[#31]

Never heard of anyone priming and trimming .223 down to 300blk at the same time. Just looks as if toolhead is thicker then a Dillon tololhead which needs to be machined to trim 300blk, would like to see someone attempt to do it as I've got a buddy that's starting to get the itch for a new press
View All Quotes

1050 or bust
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 11:16:10 PM EDT
[#32]

1050 or bust
View All Quotes

1050 or bust

Agreed.  The lack of a case feeder for processing brass would make me go S1050 over the Pro Chucker.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 11:18:30 PM EDT
[#33]

Agreed.  The lack of a case feeder for processing brass would make me go S1050 over the Pro Chucker.
View All Quotes

1050 or bust

They have a case feeder coming out but if they can't get the priming system right I'll be moving in that direction.  
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 12:48:24 AM EDT
[#34]
bm3:

Thanks for the great pics and review.

Sorry about the breakage. That really sucks.

Hope they get a fix to you asap.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 11:40:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GWhis] [#35]
bm3, you're braver than me.  I'm not an early adopter for the most part....especially when it represents that much cash.

RCBS screwed up on the first rendition.......you got maybe the first one I've heard about.  I betcha they will be (or most likely are already) working overtime to correct the flaw.  They have too much invested in it.  If the replacements fail, send it back, or ask them how they're going to fix it to last.

The surprise for me is that they didn't see this coming.  Surely they send a few machines out to employee's to test.....and .223 would be the logical rifle test.

View Quote

That would be the least worry for me......if I was into that process I'd make me one of these jmorris specials:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD2tugzRnD0

Link Posted: 5/30/2015 1:21:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Just saw they did give you two small primer slides and both were broken - that sucks.

Are there any adjustments on the press to account for tolerances and adjusting the timing of the press, and/or the primer pickup system or primer depth?
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 2:20:40 PM EDT
[#37]
If I had a broken one, I'd drill it with a 1/16" bit, slowly, almost all the way through at the pin location, and use a small screw to hold a piece of 1/8" brass tubing in place.

Because it's so thin, you don't have much to work with.

If I had a new one, I'd drill through the pin into the body and use a roughed up piece of 1/16" steel pin and epoxy it in to see if that helps. The problem is drilling it can destroy that tiny pin, it's so weak. I'd make a jig out of wood to clamp the slide and support the pin.

Amazon has some itsy bitsy drill bits for cheap if you want to use something smaller than 1/16"... 1mm would be good...

http://www.amazon.com/20pcs-Twisted-Drilling-Electric-Drill/dp/B0051SRFOK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1433008389&sr=8-2&keywords=1mm+drill+bit

Even a piece of a fat paper clip (1mm diameter) inserted would help. At least it would bend instead of snapping off... using your drilling jig to press the pin in place would help. Probably wouldn't even need any glue.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 3:23:53 PM EDT
[#38]
bm3, you're braver than me.  I'm not an early adopter for the most part....especially when it represents that much cash.

RCBS screwed up on the first rendition.......you got maybe the first one I've heard about.  I betcha they will be (or most likely are already) working overtime to correct the flaw.  They have too much invested in it.  If the replacements fail, send it back, or ask them how they're going to fix it to last.

The surprise for me is that they didn't see this coming.  Surely they send a few machines out to employee's to test.....and .223 would be the logical rifle test.

That would be the least worry for me......if I was into that process I'd make me one of these jmorris specials:

View All Quotes

Myself I'm happy with my 1050 and autodrive for processing  brass

Not seeing why that slide needs to be plastic other then $$$ , think I'd make one out of brass if I really liked the press or return the press
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 4:17:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bm3] [#39]
Just saw they did give you two small primer slides and both were broken - that sucks.

Are there any adjustments on the press to account for tolerances and adjusting the timing of the press, and/or the primer pickup system or primer depth?
View Quote

No timming adjustments  .

There is a primer seater adjustment also a minor adjustment to the slide to keep it straight .
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 5:12:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Really?  The Pro 2000 has a primer seating depth adjustment screw!  Gone, huh?
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 5:16:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GWhis] [#41]
Not seeing why that slide needs to be plastic other then $$$ , think I'd make one out of brass if I really liked the press or return the press
View Quote

Perhaps, what I would have liked to see is a bearing to ride up the rail, not a plastic stationary friction maker.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 6:23:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bm3] [#42]
Really?  The Pro 2000 has a primer seating depth adjustment screw!  Gone, huh?
View Quote

Some minor adjustments.  

I'm helping set up the pro2000 I sold to my friend and hatin every minute of it.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 9:51:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Ha my fault.  Looks like this it the adjustment screw .

Link Posted: 5/30/2015 11:32:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Mighty fine picture of the bright sunny day, your benches, your other presses........not quite as good of the primer depth adjustment screw!  So the new press does adjust primer seating depth after all! That's a bit of additional sunshine!

The set screws to tighten the tool head would make it nice and square with the shell plate.....maybe....if they did a good job with those centering holes.  The catch.....you gotta loosen set screws to remove a tool head....sigh.  I think I would make long set screws with nurled tops for finger twisting.....and will if I every buy one of the Pros.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 11:50:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bm3] [#45]
Mighty fine picture of the bright sunny day, your benches, your other presses........not quite as good of the primer depth adjustment screw!  So the new press does adjust primer seating depth after all! That's a bit of additional sunshine!

The set screws to tighten the tool head would make it nice and square with the shell plate.....maybe....if they did a good job with those centering holes.  The catch.....you gotta loosen set screws to remove a tool head....sigh.  I think I would make long set screws with nurled tops for finger twisting.....and will if I every buy one of the Pros.
View Quote

The tool head comes off way easer than the pro2000, I know because I just had it off looking at the machine burrs where the primer slide rides.  

I filed 3 burrs off and have successfully primed 100 pieces of 223.  I hope that was it.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 12:22:20 AM EDT
[#46]
So the primer slide slot had burrs?
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 12:29:37 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By faldoc:
So the primer slide slot had burrs?
View Quote

Small but yes
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 9:45:13 AM EDT
[#48]
That kind of money and the primer slide is made out of plastic
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 11:44:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GWhis] [#49]
No chuckles from me on that feature.....they know a hell of a lot more about press design than I do.  Lets wait and see what they say.

The tool head comes off way easer than the pro2000, I know because I just had it off looking at the machine burrs where the primer slide rides.  

I filed 3 burrs off and have successfully primed 100 pieces of 223.  I hope that was it.
View All Quotes

I shoulda kept to RCBS terms.  Dillon tool heads are RCBS die plates.  Sorry I started a confusion.  Tool head just rolls off the lazy tongue easier.  You are talking about the sub plate under the shell plate, right?  I was talking about shell plates with set screws using up my "valuable" time compared to the old drop pins, Sorry.

We ought to start an RCBS save your tongue movement!  DP and SP..........die plate and shell plate.......dip or sip?.....brother, I need to take a nap....I'm in a fight with the flu this week.  Stayed home from church today with a temp and a sinus headache complication.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 12:19:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bm3] [#50]
Ok after deburring I have made ammo , priming and all

Powder spill was  minimal almost nothing really.  Press runs good at this time.  

MR bullet feeder will be in Tuesday so standby.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top