Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2015 11:09:32 PM EDT
I'm new to reloading and wanted to make labels to help my memory out. Let me know what you think. too much, not enough. Did is miss a step.

DE-PRIMED__________   Wet tumbled __________________

SWAGGED__________          RE-SIZED__________________

Trimmed____________        ANNEALED________________

BULLET______________            CALIBER_________________      

BULLET GR._______________  PRIMER__________________

POWDER________________     GRAIN__________________                                                                                                                                  

OAL____________________    CRIMPED_______________  

FINAL  CLEANING___________  DATE___________________
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 11:18:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:59:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Everyone should develop a system which is comfortable for them.  Since I'm older than dirt and can't remember anything, I do this:

Using M.S. Word, I produce a loading log for each set of cartridges I make. I number them consecutively starting with Load # 001.

I set up a table with a column for the variables I want to keep track of; i.e. kind of brass, powder, charge weight, seating depth, date of production, bullet type and weight, etc.  Then I have a note section where I write how many I made and why I made this batch.  For example, testing seating depth, testing charge weight, testing tuner settings, or whatever.  If I did something out of the ordinary, such as full length size rather than neck size, then I note that too. I also note if the powder was individually weighed or if it was dispensed via an automatic powder drop.

Then I copy the important data and paste it to another page where I format it as a label which is sized to fit the top of my standardized ammo boxes (they hold 50 rounds of .223).  I print a label for each batch, cut them out, and tape the labels to the top of the box so that I have a record of the pertinent information.  When I pick up a box of ammo either from my storage shelf or our of my gear bag at the range, I know exactly what I have in hand.

If I'm doing something like testing seating depths where I might load ten rounds at five different lengths, I make note of that on a little card I tape to the inside of the box lid.  It is divided into a grid of 5x10 matching the slots in the ammo box, much like a Whitman's Sampler box of candy.  When I'm chambering those rounds, usually one at a time, I flip open the lid and pick out the appropriate round based on the chart inside the lid. That way I can tell which rounds are which and fire them at the correct target, which I also carefully keep track of while I'm shooting.

See part two since I'm limited to 2000 characters.

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 5:00:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Part two:
When I get back from the range, I evaluate my targets and then open the M.S. Word file for that particular batch and make note of how the ammo performed including group size, mean radius, velocity, etc.  Sometimes I cut and paste data and or graphs from M.S. Excel into my load data sheet.  I also make note of weather conditions, and any other information which may effect the results of how that batch performed.  Then I print a copy which I keep near my reloading equipment for quick reference and I also save the file on my hard drive for future reference.

As far as brass goes, I have a normal routine which hardly ever changes, so I don't keep a lot of notes for the "regular" brass I use all the time.  I keep each kind of head stamp in a separate plastic food storage box.  I have printed up little 2" x 4" labels on heavy card stock, each in a different color.  I toss that card into the box so I can see at a glance what kind of brass is in the container.  If there is something unusual about the brass, I make note of that on a post-it note and toss that in the box too.  For example, I might have picked up some miscellaneous range brass, so that goes into a box labeled as such and when I get around to prepping that brass I'll make a note that it's been sized, trimmed, annealed, or whatever.  A card like you propose where you can check off various operations would be a good idea, but I just use a post it note to supplement my brass type tag.

What ever you do, keep extensive records and develop a system which makes you comfortable and which is easy enough for you to do so that you won't just blow it off.  I'm always fiddling with something so I like the idea of going back to see how a particular batch performed.  But if you're loading plinking ammo or mass producing .45 ammo for blasting at beer cans, you might not want to invest the time required for meticulous records.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:34:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I made these in excel.

"Universal" pistol/rifle brass prep checklist. Match rifle brass has some other items on it, I can't find it right now.

Ammo box sheets.

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:44:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I do much of what Mozela listed as his process. I don't use all his documentation steps but most.
One difference is the load number, I prefix each number with the year, i.e. 15-01, 15-02 etc. At the turn of the year i start the numbering over, 16.01, 16-02 etc.

I also produce labels for each of my 100 cnt pistol boxes that list the important aspects of the load.  
What you consider important may vary from what I consider important, and it will vary between pistol and rifle loads.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 12:29:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If I'm doing something like testing seating depths where I might load ten rounds at five different lengths, I make note of that on a little card I tape to the inside of the box lid.  It is divided into a grid of 5x10 matching the slots in the ammo box, much like a Whitman's Sampler box of candy.  When I'm chambering those rounds, usually one at a time, I flip open the lid and pick out the appropriate round based on the chart inside the lid. That way I can tell which rounds are which and fire them at the correct target, which I also carefully keep track of while I'm shooting.
View Quote

I used this same system recently when I went out to chrono several different .223 loads.  I put the brass back in the container so I could carefully examine it when I returned home.  Unfortunately, I found out the hard way that brass sans bullet doesn't necessarily stay where you put it in the MTM boxes if they get flipped upside-down.  Lesson learned: stuff an old shopping bag or some similar space-filler in the top of the lid.

(I know this seems like a "well, DUH!" suggestion, but it completely escaped my attention until it was too late...)
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 1:27:26 PM EDT
[#7]

take them to office max and have them made up on sticky pads. Every OCD reloader should have stacks of them...LOL

credit to Magic Bob for sharing a great idea!
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 1:36:55 PM EDT
[#8]

take them to office max and have them made up on sticky pads. Every OCD reloader should have stacks of them...LOL

credit to Magic Bob for sharing a great idea!
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:12:25 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I used this same system recently when I went out to chrono several different .223 loads.  I put the brass back in the container so I could carefully examine it when I returned home.  Unfortunately, I found out the hard way that brass sans bullet doesn't necessarily stay where you put it in the MTM boxes if they get flipped upside-down.  Lesson learned: stuff an old shopping bag or some similar space-filler in the top of the lid.

(I know this seems like a "well, DUH!" suggestion, but it completely escaped my attention until it was too late...)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You know the foam that comes in Pelican cases (or even cheap cases)? That stuff works wonders. Cut a piece just big enough that it stays put inside the lid or even use a little glue if you want to. If done right and the bullet tips contact the foam it can even cut down on rattling. Driving 20 miles of gravel to the range with rattling boxes is an aggravation.

As to the OPs question I either use the reloading labels that come with bullets or boxes that I buy, or when I don't have any of those I will take an index card and put down the pertinent information that I need.

Usually that is nothing more than case, bullet, powder, primer, OAL, and the date.

If it is something more picky (like deburring, cleaning primer pockets, etc..) I have a 5 subject notebook that I can put more information on. Then I can number the load in the notebook and on the index card to keep them straight.

I used to use an Excel spreadsheet, but I find it easier to jot it down in a notebook and my notebook has outlasted my last 2 computers.

ETA: To the OP your labels look more like a catch all for finished loads and brass in various stages of prep. I really like that idea. Right now I have 50 cal ammo cans that are labeled with the various stages of brass prep.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:47:19 PM EDT
[#10]
ETA: To the OP your labels look more like a catch all for finished loads and brass in various stages of prep. I really like that idea. Right now I have 50 cal ammo cans that are labeled with the various stages of brass prep.

I wanted a label that would cover every step of my process. After de-capping I Separate them into  quantity's of. 20-250 depending on use. Hunting , plinking, testing ect.

Thank you to everyone. You guys gave me some great ideas to further track my process.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:14:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:43:05 AM EDT
[#12]
I know I got my idea from somewhere
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 6:25:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I do an all or none approach with my personal brass.  9mm brass for example, it's either raw (fired brass picked up) or processed (deprimed, sized, cleaned to my specs).

My rifle brass is all mil once fired, so if the initial stage is always:

deprime
swage
full size
trim
clean
anneal
(pocket/flash hole for large caliber)

my second firing of brass is always (deprime, full size, trim, clean, anneal) the same and go all or none.  It's easy for me to do this with automated machines, but even when I was doing everything single stage, always all or none.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:15:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:03:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Richard:  As the others point out, everyone needs a system they are comfortable with for organizing their brass.  That said, you may be making this more complicated than it needs to be.  Here is what I do.  For each cartridge I regularly shoot such as the .223, I keep 200 cases in play, with two 2-lb coffee cans, one labled ready, the other labeled fired.  When the last ready cartridge has been primed, loaded and fired, it goes directly into the fired can.  Then I process that can of 200 in one batch all the way through to ready condition. The steps are: clean, lube, size* and deprime, clean again, measure OAL, trim as necessary along with chamfer inside and out, then place in the ready can for another cycle.  

*When sizing, I use a hornady headspace gauge to adjust my sizing die so the case shoulder is set back about about .004" from where is was after firing.  That way I avoid cases sticking in the chamber.  This is less of an issue with typical bolt action rifles, but in AR rifles, a tight case in the chamber results in the need to hammer on the charge handle to get it out without firing. good luck - CW

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/479704/hornady-lock-n-load-headspace-gage-5-bushing-set-with-comparator?cm_vc=ProductFinding
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 9:48:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have spots for; deburred, caliber, and brand also.
View Quote

I also have dry tumbled (sometimes I only dry) and neck turned.

I have different cards for my brass prep and my finished loads. The brass prep cards are only in regard to the brass prep. It had OAL, Hornady headspace, etc..

For the finished load data (that I put into each box I reload) I organized mine to fit on a business card and paid 123print to make me 100 of them for $10 shipped. I even designed my own reloading logo :)

Doing it this way I always know the state of the brass and always know my loaded ammo specs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top