Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2015 10:20:57 AM EDT
Has anyone used this Alliant powder?  I have never heard of it before.  On Alliant's website it is listed as good for 9mm and .38 Special and .45acp (among other pistol cartridges).
I haven't seen it for sale anywhere, but it looks interesting.  The only powder I know of that I would consider as being "very good" for all three of those cartridges would be Hodgdon's HS-6, which is a ball powder that meters very nicely.  So, perhaps it is Alliant's equivalent?
Can anyone tell me anything about it?
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:48:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 11:50:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, Chris.
I have found that Power Pistol does work well for 9mm, .38Spl., .44Spl. and 7.62X25 Tok.  I particularly like it for the last three, even though it was originally designed for 9mm, I believe.  PP is very "flashy" in the Tok cartridge, but it works better than anything else I have tried.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:43:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I picked up some BE86 a little over a month ago.
Have worked up and tested several loads. I really like it.
I haven't explored the upper end of the loads yet, but seem to get great results in the mid/upper-mid range.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:53:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:01:38 AM EDT
[#5]
I thought it was supposed to be like Bullseye rather than PP.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:52:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This is what I thought I'd read on their site. That it was basically Bullseye ( Hence the BE ) with flash suppressant in it.

I was wondering if the 86 meant it was going to replace Bullsye, as in 86'd ( killed, deaded, kick off or out ). That would probably be too clever of a reason.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:09:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Looking at the load recipes at the link below, that's WAY too much powder to be like Bullseye.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:36:15 AM EDT
[#8]
This borders on GD but from what I have read on other reloading forums  its more like a low flash cleaner burning Unique. And it's supposed to be less temperature sensitive. Makes me wonder why they used the Bullseye name.

Motor
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:46:18 AM EDT
[#9]
I found this cached in google from this sites archive.....................

Troepie  [Member]
2/19/2014 12:41:26 PM EDT
Power Pistol is Bullseye with a modified coating to change its burning rate.

I believe BE86 is a modified Bullseye developed for US military 9 mm ammunition, possibly in the year 1986.

Power Pistol and BE86 may be the same or very similar powders.

Note Power Pistol produces a lot of muzzle flash.

If BE86 does not, they are likely different powders.

I took down Federal and Winchester-made US military 9 mm ammunition and the Federal had flake powder and the Winchester had ball powder.

The muzzle velocities were very different between the two also.
View Quote

and this..............................

88_Sahara  [Team Member]
2/19/2014 4:48:50 PM EDT
Quoted:
I wonder if BE86 = Bulls Eye formula 86
View Quote
That's exactly what it is. Regular Bullseye you buy is a blend of BE87 and BE88. It's just Bullseye with extra flash suppressant. It all has EC in it unless the powder consists of less than 75% NG, then it gets DPA as the stabilizer. DPA is cheaper and works just as well as EC with less than 75% NG content powders.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 3:02:51 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Troepie  [Member]

2/19/2014 12:41:26 PM EDT

Power Pistol is Bullseye with a modified coating to change its burning rate.

I believe BE86 is a modified Bullseye developed for US military 9 mm ammunition, possibly in the year 1986.

Power Pistol and BE86 may be the same or very similar powders.

Note Power Pistol produces a lot of muzzle flash.

If BE86 does not, they are likely different powders.

I took down Federal and Winchester-made US military 9 mm ammunition and the Federal had flake powder and the Winchester had ball powder.

The muzzle velocities were very different between the two also.

88_Sahara  [Team Member]

2/19/2014 4:48:50 PM EDT

Quoted:

I wonder if BE86 = Bulls Eye formula 86
That's exactly what it is. Regular Bullseye you buy is a blend of BE87 and BE88. It's just Bullseye with extra flash suppressant. It all has EC in it unless the powder consists of less than 75% NG, then it gets DPA as the stabilizer. DPA is cheaper and works just as well as EC with less than 75% NG content powders.

Yep, 88 Sahara was my old username. I have one pound of it to try, but I'm still working on the bottles of BE before I move onto the BE86.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 3:07:05 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Looking at the load recipes at the link below, that's WAY too much powder to be like Bullseye.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/powderlist.aspx?page=/reloaders/powderlist.aspx&type=1&powderid=38&cartridge=23

View Quote
I'm not on the engineering or ballistics side of things, but the different formula variations can make a HUGE difference in burn rate/pressure/etc. My guess would be that the Potassium Nitrate content is different among the formulations which results in a difference of surface area on the finished product which great affects the ballistics of the powder.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 4:39:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This is what I thought I'd read on their site. That it was basically Bullseye ( Hence the BE ) with flash suppressant in it.

I was wondering if the 86 meant it was going to replace Bullsye, as in 86'd ( killed, deaded, kick off or out ). That would probably be too clever of a reason.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can assure you, it the intent was to suppress flash, they did a horrible job.  I have been loading 9mm with it
and I am loading on the extreme lower end of the chart.  It's shooting well but man does it burn the brass.
I want my #2 back on the shelf, fuck it's only been 2 years.  I have one lb left and I'm saving it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 4:53:07 PM EDT
[#13]
I've been using it for 45 Colt and it seems to work fine. I haven't tried it in other calibers yet but probably will try 45 ACP in the near future. I agree with others about the flash suppressant (not). But other than that it seems comparable to Unique IMO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top