Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2015 12:21:08 PM EDT
This is a DIY wiring/electrical question, but since it’s to enable me to put LEDs on my reloading presses, I’m posting it here, so as to ask those who know what I’m trying do to chime in, and maybe help out others also interested in doing this.  Feel free to relocate if I’m out of order.

I have a left over 12VDC power supply (aka wall wart) that I kept for some reason when I threw the phone out.  It will output 200mA and has a male connector on it.  The OD of the connector is 5mm—ish near as I can tell--Probably 5.5mm.  I want to make sure I get the right female connectors for it. Are these connectors what I’m looking for?  I figure I’ll need at three for now.  But for the price, a 10 pack isn’t bad.  

I came across some strips of LEDs in the automotive section at Wal-mart (as per somebody’s advice here—thank you!) and I’m going to mount them on my RCBS pro2000 and maybe my 4X4 auto as well.  They are designed so that they can be cut to allow as little as 3 LEDs in series to be used to provide light.  The whole strip is too long to put on any of my presses, so I’ll be cutting them down anyways.  They’re also adhesive backed, which is a plus.  All I have to do is solder some leads on the LED strip—the manufacturer left areas to do just that at the places where they can be cut (you can see it in the item I linked to), hook up the connector and I should be in business.  

So that’s my plan, any insight is appreciated,

Thanks!

Edit:  As pointed out below.  The LEDs linked to are red.  Do not buy these!
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 1:12:07 PM EDT
[#1]
If that's what you're looking for, this site has some too.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 1:20:26 PM EDT
[#2]
The LED strips you linked to are RED.  I wouldn't use anything but white.

I can't tell you if the connector is correct.  You have the power supply, compare the output connector to the input of that item.

I know nothing about the output of your "wall wart".  Be careful, though.  Sometimes, these are intended to be attached to a battery to filter the output and reduce the output ripple.  It may be okay,... or not.  Have you ever tried it?

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 2:55:30 PM EDT
[#3]
While I use my Hornady Light Strip as is out of the package with its' connector between the strip and the power supply, I didn't bother with a connector for my shotgun shell light.

The shotgun shell light I made inserts into the center hole of my LnL AP, but I just hardwired the power supply right to the light itself. When I want it off, I just unplug it. Simple
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 3:33:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
While I use my Hornady Light Strip as is out of the package with its' connector between the strip and the power supply, I didn't bother with a connector for my shotgun shell light.

The shotgun shell light I made inserts into the center hole of my LnL AP, but I just hardwired the power supply right to the light itself. When I want it off, I just unplug it. Simple
View Quote

I did pretty much the same thing with my DIY light setups.   They're wired up to the power supply and plugged into an outlet that has power only when my reloading room lights are on.   So if I'm in the reloading room, my presses are lit up.  

Next LED project in my reloading room is to convert all of my overhead fluorescent lights to bright white LED.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 4:11:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The LED strips you linked to are RED.  I wouldn't use anything but white.

I can't tell you if the connector is correct.  You have the power supply, compare the output connector to the input of that item.

I know nothing about the output of your "wall wart".  Be careful, though.  Sometimes, these are intended to be attached to a battery to filter the output and reduce the output ripple.  It may be okay,... or not.  Have you ever tried it?

View Quote

You are correct! Thanks for pointing that out.  I bought white LEDs, but I wanted to make note of the fact I linked to red ones so nobody bought them by mistake.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:45:59 PM EDT
[#6]

honestly, I put up light strips on the press as well, in the end they're not as useful as having a automobile led bulb through the top of press. Thought my lnl has a convenient hole there for the bulb.

As for the connectors, I ended up soldering everything with shrink tube instead.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 6:45:24 AM EDT
[#7]
+1 on just connecting the wires. Since the phone that it fed is gone, just hook it up permenently.  Just make sure all of the connections are solid. Sparks could be interesting.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 7:30:56 AM EDT
[#8]
If you want a connector that fit, and you cant jack the one off the ohone that it came with, I's duggest buyst buying a matching male and female end, and replacing both.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 1:45:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, I'd use the jack that was in the phone, but it got thrown away then I came across this idea--just my luck.  Neither of my presses have holes in the top to drop a light down into.  That would be idea way.  Then I'd wire it up direct and call it a day.  Next time I place an order on amazon, I'll probably just throw them on and see what happens.  I've spent more money on dumber things
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 4:54:50 PM EDT
[#10]
My kit came with a LED strip as well as the little light that drops into the top of  my Dillon. I never use the strip. But having extra light and not needing it is better than the alternative.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top