Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2015 3:25:52 PM EDT
Thanks to the various threads here I bought a Hornady Bullet Feeder die for 9mm (45 is in transit), some clear plastic tubing and as an additional safeguard against squibs, a $14 USB camera.

Please excuse the cluttered  garage, but that's the way it's always been and always will be. The reloading table is an old router table I built about 25 years ago.

Here are some pics of my bullet feeder support rigging:
Overall view:

The support base improvised:

The Eyebolt with wingnut for easy adjustment:

The camera set up in the empty die socket before the Feeder came:

The current setup with feeder die in place:

Cellophane on my old laptop screen so I can mark the level of powder I'm supposed to see (that's 6.2 grains of Accurate No. 7 there)

Closeup of camera looking at case: (note the paracord around the LNL so I can grab it when seating a primer. Those edges are hard on the hands)...

Can I get away without the camera? Yes. But it adds a different and closer view of something I have to see under my bifocals.  It makes it easier for me...
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 3:33:14 PM EDT
[#1]
The camera idea is pretty cool.

I've never seen a setup like that before,
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 3:55:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Awesome.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 3:59:46 PM EDT
[#3]
that's a great idea
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 5:54:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I wish I could take credit for the idea, but I read about it somewhere, and only copied the idea.

The thing I'd really like is to use an Arduino or Raspberry microcontroller and be able to program it to read the image and recognize an empty case, a perfect drop and an overcharged case.

I'd have a red LED flashing and a buzzer for an empty/low charge or overcharge, and a green LED for OK within limits.

I have lock out dies coming to see how they work, but that takes up a station which I don't have now, so I'm going to have to seat and crimp at the same station.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:22:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Two questions

1. have you tried to load lead bullets with the Hornady bullet drop.

2. Where did you get the camera for $14. I found one but costs $26

thanks
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:27:22 PM EDT
[#6]
$12.50 from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/VicTsing-Waterproof-Endoscope-Borescope-Inspection/dp/B00J5EE22O#mobile-twister_size_name_1430101611873
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:37:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Two questions

thanks
View Quote

1) I just started using it today: I used RMR Plated 124 gr RN bullets and they worked like a charm with hardly any adjustment. Lead might not work, especially since the tolerances are close. Wax buildup will cause problems.
I have 200+ bullets down the chute so far, and I'm feeling a bit strange not having anything to do except putting on a case now that the feeder is doing the bullets for me.

2) Amazon: with Prime it got here in 2 days. The seller I got it from doesn't seem to have any at this time, there is another seller, and there are others available, check for Prime shipping, it varies:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AF1UMJ8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=viglink20251-20

http://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Endoscope-Borescope-Inspection-Camera/dp/B007UZ6RVO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1430101778&sr=8-3&keywords=usb+camera

There are many other designs some of which have clips or mounts, and some are even cheaper...
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=usb+camera
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 6:20:25 AM EDT
[#8]
The camera is great!
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:53:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Nice.

The pipe support for your feed tube needs just a little work as to the securing method.  

With mine, I replaced one of the presses rear mounting bolts with a 3' length of 3/8" threaded rod and fabbed up the tube support out of some 1/2" PVC pipe pieces.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 2:43:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes, I'm going to add some tape to beef it up...
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:40:13 PM EDT
[#11]
I tried tape: using aluminum foil it was real solid but kind of unsightly.

So here is my home made clamp: it snaps onto the pillar. The screw is in the threaded hole in the clamp, goes through the one side of the pipe but not the other, so it can press against the pipe and that secures the top. The bottom is secured on the bolt with the zip tie.

It's not perfectly vertical but close enough. I don't want to make another clamp.

:
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:51:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

1) I just started using it today: I used RMR Plated 124 gr RN bullets and they worked like a charm with hardly any adjustment. Lead might not work, especially since the tolerances are close. Wax buildup will cause problems.
I have 200+ bullets down the chute so far, and I'm feeling a bit strange not having anything to do except putting on a case now that the feeder is doing the bullets for me.

2) Amazon: with Prime it got here in 2 days. The seller I got it from doesn't seem to have any at this time, there is another seller, and there are others available, check for Prime shipping, it varies:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AF1UMJ8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=viglink20251-20

http://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Endoscope-Borescope-Inspection-Camera/dp/B007UZ6RVO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1430101778&sr=8-3&keywords=usb+camera

There are many other designs some of which have clips or mounts, and some are even cheaper...
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=usb+camera
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Two questions

thanks

There are also a bunch on Ebay for less than $10.00
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 12:53:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I tried tape: using aluminum foil it was real solid but kind of unsightly.

So here is my home made clamp: it snaps onto the pillar. The screw is in the threaded hole in the clamp, goes through the one side of the pipe but not the other, so it can press against the pipe and that secures the top. The bottom is secured on the bolt with the zip tie.

It's not perfectly vertical but close enough. I don't want to make another clamp.
View Quote

I was heading that direction myself for my LnL AP, but came across the Bully adapter that allows you to adapt the Hornady feeder die for use with the Lee Multi-tube feeder.
I just got done setting mine up and it works great without having to hang a long tube from the ceiling. No clamps, no hangers. Pretty simple, really. Much less bulky to handle and refill.
Just another option, that's all.

http://www.bullyadapter.com/home-1.html
http://www.brownells.com/reloading/reloading-presses/reloading-press-accessories/lee-multi-tube-feeder-prod56285.aspx
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 8:14:28 PM EDT
[#14]
I think I read about this adapter a while back but forgot about it.

If I get tired of the long tubes it's a great option.

But I've already invested in them and at least for 9mm they work great.

If the adapter was less costly than the Lee kit I'd probably go for it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 8:45:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Where'd you get the camera?  It looks like one of the "USB Borescope/endoscope" things I've been seeing offered.  It would be a great option to use, since keeping an eye on the powder level is kinda un-easy on the LnL AP.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:25:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Where'd you get the camera?  It looks like one of the "USB Borescope/endoscope" things I've been seeing offered.  It would be a great option to use, since keeping an eye on the powder level is kinda un-easy on the LnL AP.
View Quote

Up 4 posts I have some links at Amazon.com.

It's much easier to see in the case, but my rigged camera mount needs to be more stable.

Between the camera and a new RCBS lockout die I feel a lot better about avoiding squibs and over charges.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:57:15 PM EDT
[#17]
They even make a camera that's wifi and connects to your phone.

Much smaller footprint than a laptop.

http://www.amazon.com/Vividia-Waterproof-Inspection-Borescope-Endoscope/dp/B009PMHUK2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430452417&sr=8-1&keywords=endoscope+wifi

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 7:21:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It's much easier to see in the case, but my rigged camera mount needs to be more stable.

Between the camera and a new RCBS lockout die I feel a lot better about avoiding squibs and over charges.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I missed that post completely.  There are indeed lots of options.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 12:32:54 PM EDT
[#19]
nice but much bigger price.

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 12:35:47 PM EDT
[#20]
maybe i missed this..

OP, where is the case feeder???????

progressive without case feeder is silly imo.

i stand to right of my hornady to get better view of powder sometimes.. need case feeder for that.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:52:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
maybe i missed this..

i stand to right of my Hornady to get better view of powder sometimes.. need case feeder for that.
View Quote

You did miss the case feeder: that's ME...

Does a case feeder save much time?

A case feeder is noisy, and I don't need another thing hanging off my LNL...

I guess I might like one but it's just so much money that I can't justify it. For the $300+ I could almost buy another LNL.

Now that would save me time in changing out the parts between calibers.

Then there's the rifle bullet feeder...

This hobby is really saving me a lot of money...
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:08:39 PM EDT
[#22]
I ordered a camera to add to my LNL, thanks for the tip.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 6:13:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Hornady case feeders don't have the best rep' in terms of reliability but on some calibers (once tweaked), they are a huge time saver.

I would give up BF before case feeder. IMO, everything you can automate gives you more time to monitor the things that are already automated but not 100% reliable (powder drops and primers)... And those things are more important...

No one ever blew up a gun because their round didn't have a case or bullet. Hard to cause a problem with a missing primer too I guess. But dang, powder is important.

Thanks for posting this camera idea. I like it better than the backup camera I have been using..

Quoted:

I guess I might like one but it's just so much money that I can't justify it. For the $300+ I could almost buy another LNL.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
maybe i missed this..

i stand to right of my Hornady to get better view of powder sometimes.. need case feeder for that.

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 11:04:16 PM EDT
[#24]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vYymZZe4lo

While you're tweaking, this guy had a great idea to check primers.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 12:50:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vYymZZe4lo

While you're tweaking, this guy had a great idea to check primers.
View Quote

That's pretty cool. When I saw it was a Lee, I almost stopped watching... Hate to drill into the subplate on the LNL but dang good idea.

Somebody else do it first and report back!
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:16:36 PM EDT
[#26]
That's a great idea for a primer checker.  I've been pondering using a microswitch, but either method would require drilling a hole in the sub-plate.  More pondering (and beer) is called for.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 8:36:29 AM EDT
[#27]
If you deprime in station 1, and expand/charge in station 2, that LED thing wouldn't work for you, as you don't have a spot in the shell plate to mount it in, unless Hornady made a LED-core primer seater. :)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top