Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2015 9:24:46 PM EDT
Hey guys got a quick question I have a just sale trigger and I'm getting weird primer strikes I've been loading Bl-C2 with 55 grain varmint around I'm using 25.5 grains to 27.5 grains of gunpowder with Remington primers and LC brass but the primer strike don't look correct they look either really light maybe over pressured. I don't know I'm still new to the loading world. I'm tying to upload pictures but I'm on my phone. I also have a trigger I have never used before so it could be that the trigger just strikes the primer this way. All the loads i shot look the same there aren't any differences in the primer strikes with different loads. All rounds shot perfectly accept one the three smoke out the barrel for some reason. Looked like a black powder gun. But the round still shot andante rifle still cycles perfectly. He trigger I have is a geissele match grade trigger. Which is a great trigger. So smooth!!! But I would really apprecite the help if anyone could throw there two cents in or expertees in I would be very grateful. Thanks

http://flic.kr/p/rNYgVs
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 9:38:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 9:50:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Do not use Remington 6 1/2 primers.  The correct one is 7 1/2    See any photos here  http://www.photobucket.com/joe1944usa  that look like your primers?     Reduce the powder charge and check your scale for accuracy,  if they look like these.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 9:55:26 PM EDT
[#3]
When loading this round, is this the load data from Hodgdon's Website that you are using? The primers are cratering the same as in the picture you posted with the starting load of 25.5 grains? I'm in learning the art of reloading too, and how I understand it is cratered primers is one of many indications of an over-pressured round.

Here is the picture of the primer the OP is asking about.

Case: Winchester
Twist: 1:12"
Primer: Winchester SR, Small Rifle
Barrel Length: 24"
Trim Length: 1.750"

Manufacturer: Hodgdon
Powder: BL-C(2)
Bullet Diameter: .224"
C.O.L.: 2.200"

Starting Load
Grains: 25.5
Velocity (ft/s): 3,069
Pressure: 37,200 CUP

Maximum Load
Grains: 27.5
Velocity (ft/s): 3,313
Pressure: 48,500 CUP

Link Posted: 4/12/2015 9:56:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I would get off the phone, get to a computer, and post a more detailed description of the problem/question, minus what I assume are Autocorrect errors, ideally with the picture inline.

What primers?  Remington makes more than one kind; the 6 1/2 shouldn't be used in ARs.  What gun?  What charge?  Is 25.5 - 27.5 some kind of load workup, or are you really loading rounds with a 2 gr variation deliberately?  Triggers don't touch primers.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 11:31:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm posting pics. I started with 25.5 grains of bk-c2 and worked up to 27.5 going in half grain increments. Every round i hand loaded has a over pressured primer. I also shot some store bought rounds but there primers seem to be fine. I'm using the Remington 6 1/2 small rifle primers but I also have some others. I haven't had an issues with the primers in the past. The rifle is a new SPR 20" Wilson combat match grade barrel, match bolt, match trigger, and scope just finished the build today this is my second SPR build first one was a piston conversion this one is direct impingement.

http://flic.kr/p/s6FSN2

http://flic.kr/p/rP6tfs

Store bought primers.  http://flic.kr/p/rPeAa4

Left one is 25.5 right one is 27 http://flic.kr/p/s4oLco
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 11:50:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I would not use Rem 6 1/2  or CCI400 primers with loads over 40,000 psi.  Do use a magnum primer that has thicker cups. Or the CCI  military type primer for AR's. Added Remington photo.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 12:01:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 12:11:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Update at Remington     http://remington.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/167/kw/primers%20%20interchangeable/session/L3RpbWUvMTQyODg5ODEwMS9zaWQvS1lpZTJLam0%3D  

Can primers be used interchangeably?

Updated 04/21/2010 09:16 AM

Generally, no.

The 97* and 209P (Premier) are interchangeable in Alliant powder shotshell data.

The 57* and the 209 (non-Premier) were both different from the 209P (Premier).

The 57* was smaller in diameter, and the 209 (non-Premier) was slightly hotter.

The new 209 STS primer is interchangeable with the 209P (Premier) primer in most recipes. It is always best to check with the powder manufacturer when you have a question about a specific recipe. The 209-4 is a primer specifically made for use in .410 shotshell loads although there are no current recipes listed by the powder manufacturers using it. The 209-4 should not be used in gauges other than the .410 due to its lower energy level.

In pistol cartridges, the 1-1/2 small pistol primer should not be used in the 357 Magnum, 357 SIG or the 40 S&W. The 5-1/2 small pistol primer is the proper selection for these rounds.

In rifle cartridges, the 6-1/2 small rifle primer should not be used in the 17 Remington, 222 Remington, 204 Ruger or the 223 Remington. The 7-1/2 BR is the proper small rifle primer for these rounds.

Warning: When primers are selected incorrectly, misfires, damage to your firearm, and/or personal injury may occur. Visit the ballistics tables on our website. Recommended primers for each rifle and pistol cartridge are listed in these tables.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 12:17:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Read the warning on the side of the Remington 6 1/2 primer box. This is your problem.

Most people do not have any problems with any other small rifle primers in AR-15 platform as far as durability goes.

The military equivalent CCI-41 is more durable but I personally did side by side comparison test between CCI-400 and the CCI-450 magnum and could not tell any difference between the 2 as far as fired primer appearance goes. Or in any other way for that matter.

Motor1
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 7:03:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Thank you guys. When I purchased these primers I took the gunshops advice and got them. now I hope i haven damaged my rifle after using these primers
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 7:58:29 AM EDT
[#11]
You have not damaged your rifle or the fired cases.  Get the correct primers and carry on.

I personally would go back to where you got those primers armed with the Remington Warning and give that guy a tongue lashing.

He should not be recommending what he knows Nothing about!  If he is not the Owner or manager, let them know as well.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 2:33:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Remington 7 1/2 and Remington 6 1/2 primers have the same strength or brisance but the 6 1/2 has a thinner cup and should NOT ever be used for high pressure rounds like .223 and other small rifle calibers except a couple that are low pressure rounds. Don't load 6 1/2 primers in .223. At present my local shops are out of RP 7 1/2 primers but have 6 1/2 primers on shelves and on displays out front. They and Remington should not be pushing these primers and better warnings should be displayed by both maker and sellers. And I think most retailers of primers know the difference but want to get rid of stock and make a sale.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 3:46:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thank you guys. When I purchased these primers I took the gunshops advice and got them. now I hope i haven damaged my rifle after using these primers
View Quote

The only way they could have done any damage is if they were being pierced.

Don't feel bad. I didn't notice the warning either. I used about 1500 of them without any problems with all levels of loads.

It wasn't until I used them in a different rifle and this rifle was piercing 2 out of every 10 that I posted a question on "here" and was informed about the warning.

Motor1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top