Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2015 12:06:49 PM EDT
I use the ptx insert to expand the casemouth.  I noticed yesterday that the cases stick a bit so you get a jump when lowering the shell plate.  With the 9mm and relatively full cases this results in powder toss.

I've never lubed pistol cases (carbide dies), but I'm wondering if some case mouth lube is in order.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 12:08:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I use the ptx insert to expand the casemouth.  I noticed yesterday that the cases stick a bit so you get a jump when lowering the shell plate.  With the 9mm and relatively full cases this results in powder toss.

I've never lubed pistol cases (carbide dies), but I'm wondering if some case mouth lube is in order.
View Quote

Is it new or super clean brass? That will cause sticking.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 12:28:43 PM EDT
[#2]
It is not new, but it is tumbled (Walnut media, not wet tumbled)

I hadn't noticed it before, but I wasn't quite getting enough bell to allow a bullet to start into the case mouth.  So when indexing the bullet would sometimes tip.  I usually set the bullet into the case mouth right after powder drop to minimize powder toss on indexing.  My third station is empty, in anticipation of a bullet feeder die.  I set the ptx a touch deeper to get a bit more bell, I'm still only opening to .356 - .357.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 1:54:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote
I had exactly the same problem, and spent a fair amount of time polishing the PTX etc.

Tightening your shell plate is MOST LIKELY the fix for the problem.

The cases ALWAYS stick to the PTX when pressed onto it for belling. When the shellplate is tight you do not notice the effort it takes to remove the "stuck" case because press leverage is so great.

When the shellplate is slightly loose, you feel the stuck case, the shellplate actually lifts a few thousandths . . . and then it can't lift any more and yanks the case off the PTX, slapping it into the subplate and popping out powder.

Please try this before you spend time to polish/lube the PTX/cases.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 2:25:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Try a little paste was on the nipple.  Apply, let dry, buff.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 3:42:20 PM EDT
[#5]
To help stop indexing jump I put a lock washer on the shell plate bolt and tightened it down until the split washer bottomed out.   It seems to have helped indexing jump, and has eliminated any loosening of the shell plate.

I did try the shim package, but even a 0.0025 shim bound up my indexing.

Resetting the bearings on the shell plate and the lock washer seems to have helped with index jump.  I still like to set the bullet after powder drop as there is still some jump.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top