Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2015 1:19:17 AM EDT
I have been loading .223 for awhile but im getting into reloading .45 ACP. while browsing online for components I have seen .451 usually a jacketed bullet. and .452 usually a lead bullet. why the difference and will these both be adequate bullets for a 1911?
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 2:16:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Cast lead bullets are generally .001 greater in diameter than jacketed in all calibers.  This is because the bare lead is softer than the jacket would be on a jacketed bullet, so you want the bullet to be a bit wider so it gets a good seal as it squeezes down the barrel.

.452" diameter would be the standard for most cast lead .45 Auto loadings, and .451" for jacketed.

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 2:18:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cast lead bullets are generally .001 greater in diameter than jacketed in all calibers.  This is because the bare lead is softer than the jacket would be on a jacketed bullet, so you want the bullet to be a bit wider so it gets a good seal as it squeezes down the barrel.

.452" diameter would be the standard for most cast lead .45 Auto loadings, and .451" for jacketed.  
View Quote

Yep this. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 2:22:49 AM EDT
[#3]
thanks for the clarification im looking at loading up some cast lead as it Is a lot cheaper then FMJ or Plated
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 2:23:31 AM EDT
[#4]
while were on the subject anyone have any recommendations for a bullet company and a good powder to use?
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 6:20:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
thanks for the clarification im looking at loading up some cast lead as it Is a lot cheaper then FMJ or Plated
View Quote

Lead bullets usually require a little care and testing to keep the barrel from "leading".

Leading is usually not a major problem in the 45 ACP, but it can happen.

There are quite a few techniques used to reduce/eliminate leading, but the newest and  fast becoming most popular is the "coated" lead bullets.

These are not "plated" they are coated with HI-TEK coating from Australia.

It eliminates leading and the price is only a few pennies more than plain lubed lead bullets.

http://www.bayoubullets.net/45-acp/
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 8:42:04 AM EDT
[#6]

For 45acp I use Missouri Bullet Company or Bill's Cast Bullets and Universal powder.

I have been wanting to try using CFE Pistol in my cast loads since Hodgdon Powder has listed loads on there web site.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 10:36:23 AM EDT
[#7]
I recommend Missouri Bullet Co.
Don't get the 18 BNH ones, they are too hard, just get the softer ones either 200 gr SWC's or 230 gr LRN.
I use both and they are very good quality.
I get great accuracy with 5.4 gr HP-38/W231 and a 200 gr SWC seated at 1.265'' in my 1911's.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 1:14:02 PM EDT
[#8]
+1 to Missouri Bullet Co.  They are good people to deal with and their pricing is excellent.  I have been using their 230 gr "Softball" bullets, but as stated above I feel 18 BNH may be too hard for the low pressure/velocity rounds.

I use 5.2 grains of W231 or HP38 under the 230 grain bullet, which gives me an average of around 770 fps out of my 1911 5" barrel.  I do get a little lead fouling with this combo, and have recently discovered that my unsized (.453") home cast 230 gr bullets at ~15 BNH with the same powder charge give almost no leading.

W231 and HP38 have been scarce lately, so others may be able to suggest an alternative powder that's not so hard to find.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top