Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2015 1:15:30 AM EDT
Is there any way that I can test to figure out what kind of powder this is? I bought 16 lbs of powder from a guy a while back and both were in these white jugs. He didn't know what they were. I got both jugs for $30. One of them is marked IMR4895 and it works great. The other is some type of flake powder but I don't know what it is. The jug looks to be an IMR jug? Here are some pictures of the jugs and the powder next to some Unique. The Unique is the darker stuff.

I hate to just throw the powder away. I want to use it but I wish I could figure out what it is.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 1:31:29 AM EDT
[#1]
700x ?

You could check volume metric density in cc,s
of 700 X against the weight in grains of that powder.
With the Lee auto disk. Or lee measuring teaspoons.  

Just guessing might get you in trouble.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 1:38:55 AM EDT
[#2]
.13430    Is the vmd of 700x.

Charg in grains x vmd = volume in cc,s.

10 gr. x  .13430 = 1.340 cc          then check wait in grains of 1.340 cc

Check the volume of cc against the weight in grains of 700 X.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 3:41:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Call Eric Lutfy at Thunderbird and ask him what it is. I think he could taste powder and tell you what it is.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:50:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Just think of it as paying $30. for an 8Lb bottle of 4895 ( a steal) and the other was thrown in for good luck, use it as fertilizer.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:02:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just think of it as paying $30. for an 8Lb bottle of 4895 ( a steal) and the other was thrown in for good luck, use it as fertilizer.
View Quote

Believe me I'm not complaining. I just wanted to think of it as $15 for 8 lbs of 4895 and $15 for 8 lbs of some pistol powder.

I wonder if it would be stupid to load up like 3 grains of it in a 9mm and fire it in a vise?
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:03:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
.13430    Is the vmd of 700x.

Charg in grains x vmd = volume in cc,s.

10 gr. x  .13430 = 1.340 cc          then check wait in grains of 1.340 cc

Check the volume of cc against the weight in grains of 700 X.
View Quote

Thanks!  I will try that.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:05:39 AM EDT
[#7]
To me, the powder looks like flattened ball powder. I was hoping that would be able to narrow it down some. But i can't really figure out what IMR powders are made like this. I tried to Google search but I can't find anything definitive.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:05:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Call Eric Lutfy at Thunderbird and ask him what it is. I think he could taste powder and tell you what it is.
View Quote

sounds like the best bet to me
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:14:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Believe me I'm not complaining. I just wanted to think of it as $15 for 8 lbs of 4895 and $15 for 8 lbs of some pistol powder.

I wonder if it would be stupid to load up like 3 grains of it in a 9mm and fire it in a vise?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IMO Yes. So the 3gr works, in the vise. Will 3.5 work safely, is it temp or position sensitive etc?  How much more you willing to risk before your gun gets damaged ?   Unknown powder looks so much better on the lawn, than the stitches in your hand & head.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:50:49 AM EDT
[#10]
That almost looks like more than one kind of powder.
in the last picture, its almost all flake, but one or two look like they could be ball.
Maybe im just seeing things
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:53:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 12:38:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 1:04:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That almost looks like more than one kind of powder.
in the last picture, its almost all flake, but one or two look like they could be ball.
Maybe im just seeing things
View Quote

smp844/wc844 has 2 different styles of grains , not suggesting that what it is
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 2:32:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Do you have a chronograph? If you suspect its a pistol powder, I wouldn't be afraid to work up target loads. Start low and figure out how much it takes to get it to burn clean while watching the velocities.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 5:32:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I think 700x usually has random yellow colored flakes in it as an identifier.

ETA.. yes. my jug of 700x does, as does an image search on the Googles...

http://s246.photobucket.com/user/g_lauinger/media/IMG_1432.jpg.html
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
700x ?

You could check volume metric density in cc,s
of 700 X against the weight in grains of that powder.
With the Lee auto disk. Or lee measuring teaspoons.  

Just guessing might get you in trouble.

I think 700x usually has random yellow colored flakes in it as an identifier.

ETA.. yes. my jug of 700x does, as does an image search on the Googles...

http://s246.photobucket.com/user/g_lauinger/media/IMG_1432.jpg.html

this is correct, I use 700x in my .45acp loads and there are random yellow flakes
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 6:30:05 PM EDT
[#16]
For $15 spread that shit around the garden and be done with it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 7:46:21 PM EDT
[#17]
That is not IMR 4895    as 4895 is a extruded long grain powder

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:59:36 PM EDT
[#18]
IMR sr 7625 ?
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:55:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Toss it. No sense in Turing you face and gun FUBAR.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:12:47 PM EDT
[#20]
There are several lab tests that can find out exactly what powder it is, however most are more costly than the powder would cost new.

Personally I mix unknown/contaminated/mixed powder into wax fire starters for camping as well as using it for simple pyrotechnics and in KNO3 model rocket engines.

If you have poor soil it will benefit your garden plants, otherwise you won't see much difference.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:38:18 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm no reloaded, but it kept nada looks like shotgun powder? I've had flakes on my arms after shooting sporting clays, which I do a lot. Just my guess, but as others have noted, guessing will get you into trouble.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:38:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
There are several lab tests that can find out exactly what powder it is, however most are more costly than the powder would cost new.

Personally I mix unknown/contaminated/mixed powder into wax fire starters for camping as well as using it for simple pyrotechnics and in KNO3 model rocket engines.

If you have poor soil it will benefit your garden plants, otherwise you won't see much difference.
View Quote

I have no use for fertilizer. I live in West Texas.

If I can't use it I will find a way to burn it or something. I like fire
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 12:44:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

If I can't use it I will find a way to burn it or something. I like fire [img]http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_smartass.gif[/img]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I can't use it I will find a way to burn it or something. I like fire [img]http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_smartass.gif[/img]
Excellent and exciting choice :)

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 2:43:41 AM EDT
[#24]
You could try this site: http://www.ilrc.ucf.edu/powders/sample_detail.php?powder_id=247 It does look like Hodgdon-Trap 100..
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 6:21:24 AM EDT
[#25]
.11710 is VMD of Hodgdon trap 100.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 5:20:39 PM EDT
[#26]
The powder database is very cool. Based on a quick search using that site I'm going to guess TiteGroup.

TiteGroup

Having never seen TiteGroup though and not having much to go on, this is just a WAG on my part.

Brian
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 4:39:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The powder database is very cool. Based on a quick search using that site I'm going to guess TiteGroup.

TiteGroup

Having never seen TiteGroup though and not having much to go on, this is just a WAG on my part.

Brian
View Quote

This website is pretty awesome. I doubt that I will try to use the powder. I wish I could've though. Maybe save it for a rainy day or make a cool fire. We will see.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top