Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2015 3:06:21 PM EDT
So I was reloading some 45ACP using CCI large pistol primers. I went through one box of primers and then opened another and did about 20 more.

At this point in time I realized that I had put CCI Large rifle primers into the last 20 before I caught my mistake.

Problem is they are now all mixed together and I have no idea which is which out of around 120 rounds.

Do I bust out the primers and start over?

Can I leave the rifle primers in?

Will I blow myself up?
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 3:08:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I would like to know. Seems like it may be fine. Dunno
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 3:17:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Not certain myself if there is any danger from the standpoint of being more/too powerful and causing higher pressures.

But, as far as I recall, large rifle primers have a deeper cup than the large pistol, so if you seated them in pistol brass, the primer may stick out a bit compared to the base of the case, which should make them easier to identify in your mixed lot to separate them out.  I'd also wonder if having the primers sticking out a bit from the case could cause concerns with feeding or possibly slam firing.

If it were me I'd probably try to isolate them and pull them down.  All the components should be salvageable for re-use.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 3:34:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I've accidentally slipped small rifle primers in for small pistol primers in 38 special with absolutely no negative effects.

I didn't think that large rifle primers were exactly the same size as large pistol primers.

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 3:36:15 PM EDT
[#4]
LR are taller than LP.  You should be able to see the difference as the LP would be sitting proud.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 3:43:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

LR are taller than LP.  You should be able to see the difference as the LP would be sitting proud.
View Quote
I did notice that some were not seating flush in the brass. I will go through them and look for those with a slight piece sticking out.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 4:31:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

You will need to punch the primers out, and use LP
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 5:06:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Just run them through a decapping die or a size and decap.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 5:53:15 PM EDT
[#8]
To start, large rifle primer is approx 6 to 8 thousandths taller than large pistol, so you will see them stick above the case face slightly

I would just segregate them to the side, and  single fire them and be done with them... I did the same thing some 25+ yr ago, but on purpose.. fired them from 1911, had no issue.. maybe I was lucky ??  Got friend with open bolt 45acp subgun,, let him get rid of them for you

As for the  small rifle in place of small pistol primer,, common practice,, I ran many a thousand small rifle in 38 Super for USPSA with 124gr  bullets in a comp gun when 38 Super was rage.. see couple fella on machine gun site that say small rifle is all they use, only have to buy 1 type primer for small prime cartridges
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 8:08:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:08:43 AM EDT
[#10]
We used to shoot surplus 9mm sub machine gun ammo through our pistols occasionally. They had hard primer cups and sometimes had to hit them more than once to get them to fire. Sometimes even with that they would not fire.

If the primers stand proud to the base of the cartridge they may not lock up in the chamber. Hopefully you can isolate them and then make a decision if you are going to tear them down or not. .
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:40:19 AM EDT
[#11]
While it may not have been the best idea, I loaded about 300 rounds of 45 ACP with LR primers last year before I realized what I preloaded all the primer tubes with.   Before pulling anything, I went out and shot a dozen or so.   They all locked up fine and I didn't really notice a difference.    So I shot them all, all 300.   But I now quadruple check what primers I'm loading the tubes with, then check again after I start loading.    

Not sure if anything could, or should of went wrong.  But I'm glad it didn't. And yes, the LRPs were standing a tad proud.   They wobbled slightly when stood on a flat surface or felt with the finger.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:02:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
While it may not have been the best idea, I loaded about 300 rounds of 45 ACP with LP primers last year before I realized what I preloaded all the primer tubes with.   Before pulling anything, I went out and shot a dozen or so.   They all locked up fine and I didn't really notice a difference.    So I shot them all, all 300.   But I now quadruple check what primers I'm loading the tubes with, then check again after I start loading.    

Not sure if anything could, or should of went wrong.  But I'm glad it didn't. And yes, the LPPs were standing a tad proud.   They wobbled slightly when stood on a flat surface or felt with the finger.
View Quote

I think you mean LR primers not LP primers, yes?
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:27:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
While it may not have been the best idea, I loaded about 300 rounds of 45 ACP with LP primers last year before I realized what I preloaded all the primer tubes with.   Before pulling anything, I went out and shot a dozen or so.   They all locked up fine and I didn't really notice a difference.    So I shot them all, all 300.   But I now quadruple check what primers I'm loading the tubes with, then check again after I start loading.    

Not sure if anything could, or should of went wrong.  But I'm glad it didn't. And yes, the LPPs were standing a tad proud.   They wobbled slightly when stood on a flat surface or felt with the finger.

Haha yes. I meant LR. Im sorry.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 5:57:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go back and edit your original messed up post...
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:14:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just did Sir.............Didn't think it was necessary, as somebody reading the thread would immediatly see the correction.  If that was some hidden rule about posting on a forum, I'm sorry.........
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:56:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 3:44:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
To start, large rifle primer is approx 6 to 8 thousandths taller than large pistol, so you will see them stick above the case face slightly

I would just segregate them to the side, and  single fire them and be done with them... I did the same thing some 25+ yr ago, but on purpose.. fired them from 1911, had no issue.. maybe I was lucky ??  Got friend with open bolt 45acp subgun,, let him get rid of them for you

As for the  small rifle in place of small pistol primer,, common practice,, I ran many a thousand small rifle in 38 Super for USPSA with 124gr  bullets in a comp gun when 38 Super was rage.. see couple fella on machine gun site that say small rifle is all they use, only have to buy 1 type primer for small prime cartridges
View Quote

I have not bought a small pistol primer in over 15 years. I only buy small rifle and use them for pistol and rifle. Never had a issue.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:33:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I have not bought a small pistol primer in over 15 years. I only buy small rifle and use them for pistol and rifle. Never had a issue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Using Small Rifle Primers in place of Small Pistol Primers is okay however you cannot do the same with Large primers. If it was me and I couldn't see a difference I would punch out all the primers and throw them all away. 300 primers is about $10 right? To me it isn't enough for me to decide I will risk exceeding max ANYTHING with a reload.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 1:09:03 PM EDT
[#19]
If it were me, I'd segregated the mixed batch, a probably just shoot them as practice ammo.  And accept that some may not light.  That said, if these are hot loads they are going into, I would not.  

Also, since the LR will be high primers, there is an elevated risk of a slam fire.  Seems like that's not so common, but still a higher chance than normal.  Eye protection and perhaps gloves are a must on these rounds, and perhaps switch to a lighter recoil spring if that's easy to do.

Just my own 2 cents.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 1:49:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Not worth it to me personally.   If you can sort them based on primer depth just pull them the 'bad' ones.  If you can't sort them, then just pull them. :)  Why risk it?

A shot of lube after you pull them should make the primers inert should guarantee you don't scare the crap out out your wife setting off a primer on the press.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 12:39:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Could have closed thread after this post.

Right on steve4102.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 12:56:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Earlier, I went to load ammo for my bullseye league that was tonite, and realized I was out of Large Pistol primers. No one in town had any. So I primed a case with a Large Rifle Magnum and fired it to see if it would work at all and did. The LRM didn't sit very proud compared to the LPs. I loaded up 90 rounds with the classic load, 4.0gr of Bullseye under a 200gr LSWC in Remington brand cases (slightly different headstamps).

One round took three attempts to finally ignite, then throughout the match, I had 3 more need an extra strike to fire. My zero seemed the same. Precision didn't seem to be effected, however, I am using an old, sloppy M1991.

Would I rely on it for match grade or SD ammo? No.

Would I use it with a MAX load? No.

For plinking? *shrug* YMMV
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top