Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2015 8:41:46 PM EDT
Has anyone used these case prep centers? It trims, chamfers, and reams pocket all in one machine.  I'm trying to decide if it's worth it or just stick with a wft.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:13:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought one a few weeks ago and so far am very pleased with it.

Trimmed a couple hundred pieces of .223 with it, very consistent (indexes off the shoulder).
Using RCBS crimp remover and uniformers, much better than by hand.

I got mine for $160 shipped. Was considering WFT or Giraud tri-way trimmers for a couple of calibers, but this was cheaper and can do more.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:28:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bought one a few weeks ago and so far am very pleased with it.

Trimmed a couple hundred pieces of .223 with it, very consistent (indexes off the shoulder).
Using RCBS crimp remover and uniformers, much better than by hand.

I got mine for $160 shipped. Was considering WFT or Giraud tri-way trimmers for a couple of calibers, but this was cheaper and can do more.
View Quote

Can you tell me where you got it from?
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:11:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Ordered from Midway. They had a $15 off coupon which covered shipping plus a few dollars.

More info -
The prep center is smaller than I expected. Doesn't take up much more room than a reloading manual laying down.

I have 2 very minor complaints - the storage compartment on mine is very difficult to open and has to be pried up (need to file the plastic latch down), and the attachments can be difficult to remove. The motor turns to keep the attachments tight, but if something tightens too much trying to loosen it results in all of the attachment points (motor) spinning. Had to use two sets of pliers to get it off.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:39:39 AM EDT
[#4]
I love mine.  Seems like a quality piece.
I think it's a great combination of value and functionality.
Plan on getting a primer crimp cutter head and seeing if it replaces my Dillon crimp reamer.
I got it at Midway for about $150
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 2:21:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I ordered one with my birthday discount from midway and added a small item that had free shipping. Total cost to me was $163IIRC and should be at my house when I get there Monday. They jumped up in price recently because when I looked at them a couple weeks ago everyone seemed to have them listed right around $165. Everywhere I checked just before I ordered had them at $185. Wait for Optics planet to have a sale then order it.

$160 shipped at Grafs but out of stock. $165 at Midway but high shipping. Shipping can be reduced if you add a small item that has free shipping.

Wow, $140 at CTD. They want $17 shipping to CO.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/7-903156
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:03:56 AM EDT
[#6]
How hard is it to adjust the trimmer?

The feature set of the tool for the price is fantastic. My previous FA purchases have been pretty good, but I'm wary of a tool that promises so much, yet costs so much less and is more versatile than others. I doubt it can hold up to Giraud or Dillon 1200/1500 levels of use, but for me it wouldn't have to. Is there a downside? I do not need to trim super large amounts or 300 blk from uncut 223 or anything.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 1:40:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How hard is it to adjust the trimmer?
View Quote

Easy.  Did it without the instructions.  (Who uses those anyways?)
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 11:25:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 8:36:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought one when they first came out. The only complaint I have is that I wish it spun faster -- sometimes it takes me up to 20 sec to trim a case. I want a Giraud
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 10:56:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Got mine delivered yesterday.

Love it.  I can process brass much faster then before.  I tried a trim-it tool and the Lee power trimmer die.  Both were sub par.  I still want a Dillon trimmer, but for now and for how flexible this is, I will! Keep it.   The deburring tool is bent tho.  Will have to call them.

Oh, keep your shop vac around as every 100 or so shells creates a mess.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 4:16:37 AM EDT
[#11]
I purchased the Frankford Arsenal "all-in-one" while waiting on my Giraud-order.  The main reason was to take care of some of the surplus of .223 / 5.56, (since I had the attention-span of a gnat at the time), but it's very flexible and simple to use.  Since then, I've used it on some random calibers and it did the job just fine.

The Frankford is a solid performer with accessories that make it adaptable with most anything, but it can get messy.  I just fold a couple of paper-towels in half under the area where the brass drops to catch the excess of shavings that fall.  The trimmer has a plastic piece that snaps into place to keep the brass from flying everywhere and focuses them to drop downward.  Taking it apart to clean the trimmer-bit when your done is as easy as unscrewing the holder-housing, and a q-tip to brush off the deburr and chamfer bits takes a few seconds.  For the price, it's impressive and easy to figure out.

Since I own the Frankford unit and the Giraud Power-Trimmer, they are different.  First, there's $300 difference from the start... obviously.  The Frankford isn't as quick as the Giraud, and you still have to chamfer and deburr after trimming - unlike the Giraud.  But, the Frankford is faster than manually trimming by far, and as long as you aren't too aggressive with forcing your brass in - it trims consistently.

I've recently used the Frankford on 243 Win, 25-06 Rem, and 270 Win I found laying around.  In my opinion, the flexibility of use is one of the most impressive qualities of the unit.  The price puts it into a completely different class of its own.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 9:53:34 AM EDT
[#12]
I bought mine late last year and it's still going strong. It's got lots and lots of .223 cases under it's belt (approx. 4k so far).

My opinion hasn't changed since then, but new users might benefit from my earlier review.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_42/433722_Frankford_Arsenal_Power_Trimmer___Review_and_User_Tips.html%26page=1%26anc=bottom#bottom
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top