Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 10:42:36 AM EDT
[#1]
That is weird, I haven't seen any problems with the pins I got. I am pretty sure I got them with the tumbler, but I may be wrong on that, it has been a while...
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 7:23:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I’ve had my FART over a year and the pins are 100% magnetic, never had a problem with that.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 1:08:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Redbirdxx:
Yeah, the pins that came with mine are a bit...variable when it comes to the magnet.

Some will jump to get to it, some won't stick unless they make firm physical contact and even then it's tenuous.
View Quote
Yep, I have some other pins so I am just weeding out all the non-magnetic...defintley makes sorting a much bigger pain.
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 5:36:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I have taken to running mine without the pins.  They are a hassle to collect and dry, and I hate losing them down the drain.  A squirt or two of dawn and a heaping 1/8 teaspoon of Lemishine gets the brass shiny and bright.  It doesn't clean the primer pockets without the pins, but I like to remove crimps and uniform the primer pockets manually anyway.  If the brass gets really grungy, I can always add the pins to the next go-round.
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 6:25:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By 2ndtimer:
I have taken to running mine without the pins.  They are a hassle to collect and dry, and I hate losing them down the drain.  A squirt or two of dawn and a heaping 1/8 teaspoon of Lemishine gets the brass shiny and bright.  It doesn't clean the primer pockets without the pins, but I like to remove crimps and uniform the primer pockets manually anyway.  If the brass gets really grungy, I can always add the pins to the next go-round.
View Quote
I do all this stuff in my mini kitchen in the basement.  I've lined the rim of the drain I send dirty water down with magnets to catch any.  AFAIK, I haven't lost any.  Just drain the bucket slowly.
Link Posted: 3/24/2018 5:31:59 PM EDT
[#6]
So I finally tried wet tumbling without the pins...and it works. But you definitely don't get the primer pocket as clean, and some cases definitely don't get clean down in the case. Honestly, it probably doesn't really change much, as it's definitely clearer than dry tumbling still. But for me at least, if I'm going through this trouble my OCDness gets to me, so I'm back to tumbling with pins, though I have started putting a lot less of the pins depending on how much brass I have in.

I am definitely curious about tumbling with a wash/wax solution rather than dawn. I'm wondering if that will give me back some lubrication properties that I seem to be losing with wet tumbling.
Link Posted: 3/24/2018 9:51:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By UltimaSE:

So I finally tried wet tumbling without the pins...and it works. But you definitely don't get the primer pocket as clean, and some cases definitely don't get clean down in the case. Honestly, it probably doesn't really change much, as it's definitely clearer than dry tumbling still. But for me at least, if I'm going through this trouble my OCDness gets to me, so I'm back to tumbling with pins, though I have started putting a lot less of the pins depending on how much brass I have in.

I am definitely curious about tumbling with a wash/wax solution rather than dawn. I'm wondering if that will give me back some lubrication properties that I seem to be losing with wet tumbling.
View Quote
I use TurtleWax Zip clean wash instead of Dawn and get much better results with 9MM not sticking, a side benefit is they stay shiny longer.
Link Posted: 3/24/2018 10:03:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought one last year and love it. I’ve put several thousand cases through it. I got a few batches that were kind of cloudy after tumbling and found out I was either using too much lemishine or it needed cleaning. I tumbled it empty with some dawn to clean the walls and the pins and have cut back to a tiny amount of lemishine. Works great now.
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 12:46:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I have the same wet tumbler and want to give a suggestion..... dish soap sucks.

What you want is Armor All Wash N Wax car wash soap + lemishine.  Why?  The soap cleans the brass and the wax keeps it from tarnishing so quickly.

I tried a few batches of dish soap and never got good shiny brass out of it, even when using Lemi Shine.  A buddy suggested the Wash N Wax and now my brass comes out looking shiny af.
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 9:26:48 PM EDT
[#10]
So that's what's a bit weird. I'm using lemishine and dawn, and my brass comes out shiny and doesn't fade. I have noticed that it it takes more effort to size, and that's why I'm curious about the wash/wax combinations.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 11:23:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Started F.A.R.T. 'ing a week ago after it arrived on my doorstep.  Followed all the advice I have read in this thread,  but just ASSUMED(made an ass outta u and me) my water chemistry was terrible and went heavy on the LemiShine right off the bat.  Turns out I only need a single .40 S&W case of the stuff to gimme that bling!

Currently in the process of wet tumbling all of my already processed brass, which is brass that I have Deprimed/resized and Dry tumbled for days in a regimen of different types of dry media/polishes.  Gonna give the Armor All wash and wax a shot when I get closer to the end.

I have been away for a while and used to use Photobucket for hosting,  any recommendations so I can post up some pics?
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 7:58:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#12]
Originally Posted By Poindexter10thae:
Started F.A.R.T. 'ing a week ago after it arrived on my doorstep.  Followed all the advice I have read in this thread,  but just ASSUMED(made an ass outta u and me) my water chemistry was terrible and went heavy on the LemiShine right off the bat.  Turns out I only need a single .40 S&W case of the stuff to gimme that bling!

Currently in the process of wet tumbling all of my already processed brass, which is brass that I have Deprimed/resized and Dry tumbled for days in a regimen of different types of dry media/polishes.  Gonna give the Armor All wash and wax a shot when I get closer to the end.

I have been away for a while and used to use Photobucket for hosting,  any recommendations so I can post up some pics?
View Quote
Tinypic works fine for me, been using it for years.  Haven't tried armor all.  I use turtle wax, but that makes them dull actually
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 6:56:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Once I've tumbled I find laying them out on a floor mat to air dry works OK.

Anyone got a recommendation for a decent case dryer?  Most seem fairly lightweight and cheesy -- spin-off food dehydrators.  I'd ordered a Lyman from Cabela's and the darn heating element didn't work (out of the box).
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 8:14:03 PM EDT
[#14]
I just grabbed the Frankford Arsenal one. Works well for me and it isn't the white that my actual dehydrators are
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 11:32:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Got my second FA tumbler yesterday. There is a discount store called Bargain Hunt. I stop in there every once in a while.

Usually don't find anything, but sometime I get a good deal on something. Saw the box on the shelf, box was damaged.

Checked the contents. Was missing the bag of pins and one of the end caps. Talked to the store manager and wound up

getting it for $75. Couldn't pass it up.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 7:53:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Sinister:

Anyone got a recommendation for a decent case dryer?  Most seem fairly lightweight and cheesy -- spin-off food dehydrators.  I'd ordered a Lyman from Cabela's and the darn heating element didn't work (out of the box).
View Quote
I have been using the Harbor Freight food dehydrator for more than a year with good results.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 7:39:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Teddydog] [#17]
Unboxed the FART I bought last year finally.  I have/had been using the small Harbor Freight one.  The size of this thing compared to the HF drums is amazing!

I was going to clean 25 cases I fired yesterday with black powder (.577 Snider).  But there was just too much space!  As large as they are, 25 of them didn't take up any significant amount of space in the drum.  I tossed in a bag of .303 British cases, too.  Hope they don't interfere or get stuck in the .577s!

Looking forward to seeing the results.

So...is there any issue with running it part full?  That is, with a small number of cases and using less than a full drum of water and load of pins?

Rob
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 9:41:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 8:10:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Do any of you have problems with your FART leaking?  Just curious as I ended up with the Lyman Cyclone when it went on sale (right before the FART went on sale for $5 more ), and mine leaks in a completely random way.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 9:18:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Ohio_OJ:
I have been using the Harbor Freight food dehydrator for more than a year with good results.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ohio_OJ:
Originally Posted By Sinister:

Same here, been using it for the last several years and it's still going strong.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 12:04:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By MadCowRacer:
Do any of you have problems with your FART leaking?  Just curious as I ended up with the Lyman Cyclone when it went on sale (right before the FART went on sale for $5 more ), and mine leaks in a completely random way.
View Quote
Mine leaked when I first used it.  Tried teflon tape...tried herculean effort to tighten lids...tried vaseline.  All worked.  HOWEVER, once I'd been using it for 8 to 10 loads, I guess the rubber seals finally softened or sealed much better.  No more leaks.  Give it some time and usage and see if it doesn't improve.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 9:03:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Just got on the wet tumbling FART bandwagon, so much better than dry tumbling!

I've gone with the Lemishine and ArmorAll Wash and Wax process, no pins.  As others have said, the primer pockets are still a mite dirty but no hassling with magnets, etc, is good enough for me.  The shine on the cases is excellent!

I also like the slightly slick surface feel from the Wash and Wax.  I mainly reload straight- (or tapered-) wall cases, 9mm, .45ACP, etc, so it's likely a bit of a bonus in the dies.

I also had the "hand busting" experience trying to get the end caps on tightly enough to stop leaks.  What worked for me was getting the rubber gasket wet before tightening the caps down.  Still takes a lot of effort, but after a few ancillary drips, I'm leak free.

I started out with a full two hour tumble but have cut it back to 1 hour--no visible difference to me and it saves time for the next load.

Thanks to all who posted in this thread--it was because of y'all I went with the FART and I've never been happier with my brass!
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 7:07:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NathanDrake] [#23]
Hey guys. Quick question. I’m getting a blue ish pink tint

I use one squirt dawn. 9mm case if Leme shine in hot water

Go for 3 hours and dry in a dehydrator at 160 for 30 minutes

Attachment Attached File

Will add that are don’t get the tint until after drying. Too much heat?
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 9:06:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#24]
Originally Posted By NathanDrake:
Hey guys. Quick question. I’m getting a blue ish pink tint

I use one squirt dawn. 9mm case if Leme shine in hot water

Go for 3 hours and dry in a dehydrator at 160 for 30 minutes

...Will add that are don’t get the tint until after drying. Too much heat?
View Quote
With or without SS pins?  No it is not too much heat.  I dry in a toaster oven on "warm" - the temp is probably about 200 degrees.  I turn it on for about 5 minutes and then turn it off...  I leave it closed as it slowly cools for about 1/2 hour.  Then I open the toaster oven and put the tray of brass on my (cool) stove to come to room temp...  never any problems.

Did you rinse really well to get rid of all chemical residue before drying???
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 9:12:26 PM EDT
[#25]
With pins. I was thinking could be soap residue also

Trying another batch tonight and rinsing the hell out of them

They come out shiny like all you guys pics. It’s after they dry the discoloration appears
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 9:19:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#26]

They come out shiny like all you guys pics. It’s after they dry the discoloration appears
View Quote
Also, after a thorough rinse, throw the brass onto a large clean towel, bring up the corners and shake to get excess water out.  Then roll around on the towel to dry the outside a little then throw into your dryer...    also, you probably don't need 3 hours - try 1 hour...  If you can increase the temp a little, I might do that as well but I see no reason to exceed ~200 degrees.
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 10:19:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 10:35:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks all!
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 1:10:06 PM EDT
[#29]
I have some Christmas gift cards burning a hole in my pocket and would just have to pay sales tax on the FART so looking at picking it up.

I'm not new to wet tumbling and have been using the HF dual drum for about 6-7 years.  My volume has increased and I'm staring at almost a 5gallon bucket of 9mm I need to clean once it's deprimed.

So I do not have a sink in the basement and would like to be able to tumble in the winter indoors.  Right now I just fill up a pitcher of water and I can rinse a batch of brass in a bowl twice and it rinses the cases well enough.

Obviously I would be dealing with a lot more brass at once so my idea won't work.  Does anyone have an idea for rinsing brass without having a sink and using minimum amount of water?  Dirty water I dump into a 5gallon bucket and once it's full I take outside and dump it.

I have a 4 tray dehydrator setup at my bench already for drying brass.

Appreciate any tips!
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 4:15:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ppknut] [#30]
It may not use the least amount of water, but I just use a 5 gallon bucket for everything.  Outdoors is simple with the bucket and a hose and repeated rinse/dump.  Obviously tumbling indoors is easy, but I can see where rinsing indoors could be tricky without a sink.

I might try emptying the filled FART container into a 5 gal bucket.  Pour off as much dirty water as possible without loosing brass/pins.  Dump the dirty water outside.  Rinse and repeat, carrying multiple buckets of less dirty water outside.  I would suggest 3 good rinses this way. A second transfer bucket may be useful.

I would then fill my brass/pin separator (I use the small Dillon-CM-500, but a smaller tumbler might be better) with clean water and spin the last batch submerged in the clean water to final rinse and brass/pin separation.

Just my thoughts...

ETA:  You might be able to just use the FART as your bucket with repeated rinse cycles.  You'll still need to be carrying water outside.

I'll be interested in other ideas as well.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 7:11:33 PM EDT
[#31]
ppknut that might work.

I have also thought about just waiting till it's warmer out then getting it.  I can use the hose and not worry about all the trips.  Might have enough brass cleaned to get me to April/May and not run out.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 7:12:45 PM EDT
[#32]
I live in a condo currently, (in NE IL), got the platinum series for xmas,  bought these mesh screens for my tumbler.

https://www.amazon.com/Frankford-Arsenal-Tumbler-Straining-Platinum/dp/B07YXC879Z

Works great instead of those strainers  that came with it.  The mesh should really come standard instead.   I can pour controlled & directly into shower drain without losing pins into the drain, if you go slow enough,  it won't back up into tub.  No need to go outside in freezing weather.   They also allow rinsing all the soap out the tumbler itself without losing pins.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 7:36:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Just got mine. Have 1000 cases of 1x 223 and 5lb pins coming on Friday :)
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 8:47:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By jbizzle:
ppknut that might work.

I have also thought about just waiting till it's warmer out then getting it.  I can use the hose and not worry about all the trips.  Might have enough brass cleaned to get me to April/May and not run out.
View Quote
Pour your water down the toilet, it won't over flood the toilet, it will just go down the drain...Also you can get the screens FA makes for their tumblers now which should make it much easier to rinse..I would screen one end of the container, pour the dirty water in the toilet, then set the tumbler in a 5 gal bucket in the shower with the screen down, remove the other cap and screen it, then  run water thru it into the bucket...once clean dump the water down the toilet again...
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 11:59:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By cmcque:
Just got mine. Have 1000 cases of 1x 223 and 5lb pins coming on Friday :)
View Quote
Your post reminded me that I haven't updated my chart for a few years.
I've added a couple of calibers and more data for the others.
I have also learned (from my experience) that running close to maximum numbers of shells results in brass that is not as clean on a typical run.  I'd recommend runs of 15% to 20% less brass than the total possible weight for optimum cleaning.  JMO.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 12:54:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Burnsy87:

I do all this stuff in my mini kitchen in the basement.  I've lined the rim of the drain I send dirty water down with magnets to catch any.  AFAIK, I haven't lost any.  Just drain the bucket slowly.
View Quote
I have a stainless steel strainer with a fine mesh over my drain.  Ace sells them.  (I don't use the garbage disposer side)

I bought the FA mini and would have in the first place if they were making it when I started down this path.  It is the perfect size for my volume.

I fill the tub about 2/3 full of brass and cover with 1/2" of water.  I use just under 1/2 cups of pins. One squirt of Dawn and one 9mm case of Lemishine.  2 hour tumbler and rinse. Results are perfect.

I will definitely try the car wash/wax with some .45ACP cases.  Those tend to be very sticky with my described method and I am mostly dry tumbling those with walnuts.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 9:01:38 PM EDT
[#37]
My FART arrived yesterday and I ran my first load tonight.  12.4 pounds of 45 ACP, 5 pounds of pins, 3 capfuls of Maguire's Wash and Wax and 1 45 shell of Lemishine.  Filled with hot water to about 2" above the brass.  Ran for 2 hours. Everything came out super clean, but not much more shiny then when I dry tumble in walnut.  I think I needed more Lemishine.

I also bought the screens that go over the ends. They came in handy.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 9:04:06 PM EDT
[#38]
The screens are a life saver.  I went two years without em until this place learned me.

I did my Rugged Obsidian suppressor baffles in the FART last month, talked about it in another thread.  Baffles came out essentially looking like they were brand new.  I love this machine.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 11:05:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Starting 2/27/20, Cabelas is advertising 20% off on FA Reloading stuff....  Not sure how this will affect the FART tumbler price though.....
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 12:20:41 AM EDT
[#40]

View Quote
@NathanDrake

I just saw this.  Rinse your cases better and in the final rinse add some lemi shine.  I use old coffee plastic containers.  Put your clean brass in one.  Fill it with water and shake, dump water out, repeat.  They are done when there are no suds after shaking.  Add some lemi shine, shake some more, then strain the water out.

When the cases dry they should be shiny
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 3:31:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blowout] [#41]
Originally Posted By orion251:
Starting 2/27/20, Cabelas is advertising 20% off on FA Reloading stuff....  Not sure how this will affect the FART tumbler price though.....
View Quote
Looks like the FART lite is at $80 instead of $100. Big FART at $132
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 7:31:58 PM EDT
[#42]
I joined the FART revolution today.

First load was just to tumble the oil off the pins with a little down, and boy did it ever leak.  No matter what I did, I could not get it to seal.  I grabbed a little silicone O-ring grease (pool o-ring lubricant) and that seems to have done the trick.

I plan on picking up some Wash/Wax and lemishine.

Wal-Mart has:

Blue Coral Wash and Wax
Turtle Wax T-78 Zip wax wash and wax
Armor All ultra shine Wash and Wax
Mothers Speed Wash and Wax
Meguiar's Ultimate Wash and Wax

Is there a preference here?
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 8:50:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#43]
Originally Posted By FALARAK:
I joined the FART revolution today.

First load was just to tumble the oil off the pins with a little down, and boy did it ever leak.  No matter what I did, I could not get it to seal.  I grabbed a little silicone O-ring grease (pool o-ring lubricant) and that seems to have done the trick.

I plan on picking up some Wash/Wax and lemishine.

Wal-Mart has:

Blue Coral Wash and Wax
Turtle Wax T-78 Zip wax wash and wax
Armor All ultra shine Wash and Wax
Mothers Speed Wash and Wax
Meguiar's Ultimate Wash and Wax

Is there a preference here?
View Quote
I use the Armor All Wash & Wax (2 tablespoons per gallon of water) and Lemishine (1 Lee 1.9 cc dipper full per gallon of water).  I typically put 100 .308 Win cases, 5 pounds of pins, and a gallon of the above solution in my FART and run it for about 1.5 hours to clean my cases - this has yielded good results for me.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 8:53:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dyeager535] [#44]
As I'm super thrifty, I went looking for an alternative to the common stuff.

I found this product https://www.kaercher.com/us/home-garden/detergents-and-cleaning-solutions/home-garden/high-pressure-cleaners/vehicle-cleaning-and-care/vehicle-detergent-1-gal-20x-formula-95581460.html?utm_source=amp and the company was very quick to respond to my inquiry to say that the wax used in this is synthetic, which as I understand is important to not get gummy buildup inside the tumbler and eventually on the brass.

Unfortunately I was just getting started down the wet tumbling path when I got it, then had to pack it all up for awhile, so really couldn't give a report on how well it works compared to XYZ. My brass did come out pretty shiny, and I ran some through a sizing die to see how it works, without issue. In the various sizes I saw it, it was significantly cheaper than other similar products by volume.

I can't get to Home Depots website, but when I was looking for easy to find alternatives, they sold their products. I managed to find some in small tide-pod like disintegrating packaging on ebay, and I just emptied those into a bottle for dispensing. Paid like $5 for enough to probably do tens of thousands of cases, and if it doesn't work well, not out much.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 1:35:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Started FARTing this morning, started by unboxing the magnet, the separator, then the FART.
First step was assemblying the separatoror.  The hinges were hard to snap into place, afraid I was going to break something, but didn't

Then searched quickly to see how many 45ACP cases I should use, couldn't find it quickly and decided to use 3 qts.

Put in the cases, a good squirt of Dawn and 1/2 tsp of citric acid.

Weight of the drum is 23.6 lbs.  Hoping I get buy with using 4 qts vs 3 of 45 ACP brass next time as I store brass in 2 qt containers.  Set timer for 3 hours but think I'll stop at 2 and check it.
Thing is noisy doing this on my back deck

Off I go!

So I'm all set for either a) dark brass b) pink brass or c) bling!

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/6/2020 4:16:57 PM EDT
[#46]
5000 9mm
1000 .223
500 .308

Using 2 tablespoons of Armor-All Wash-and-Wax, and then 1 teaspoon of Lemishine.

Observations and lessons learned:

This thing is WAY louder than a vibratory tumbler.  The damned thing roars.  It aint the brass making noise, its their dang motor and gears.

Dirty brass makes for darker brass.  The cleaner the load, the brighter they come out.  I believe the person who said they use dawn to clean, dump their dirty water, refill and put in the lemishine and tumble for the last 30 min or so.  I really don't care what color my brass is so thats not worth the effort to me.

You need to "tumble" your rifle brass to get the water out of the cases to aid drying.  I ran a load of primed 5.56 without pins, rinsed out the drum well, then dumped the brass right into the dryer (Frankford dehydrator) and two hours later there was still water in there.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 4:57:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dyeager535] [#47]
"You need to "tumble" your rifle brass to get the water out of the cases to aid drying.  I ran a load of primed 5.56 without pins, rinsed out the drum well, then dumped the brass right into the dryer (Frankford dehydrator) and two hours later there was still water in there."

I noticed the same. Before I ran out of time I was experimenting with microfiber washcloth-sized fabric to try and suck as much moisture out as I could, rapidly. It worked pretty well, I'd run water through the drum to rinse out all the soap and crud, shake the drum with the slotted cap in place, then replace the clear cap (as 9mm fits through the slots in the factory piece) but throw a microfiber wash cloth in there, and run it for a few minutes.

I just swapped out the cloth for a dry one, and hit it again until the insides of the drum came out dry. Maybe 20 minutes of additional tumbling. Didn't really get to try with rifle brass, but I expect significantly more tumbling would be needed to make sure the majority were empty. But at least with the cloth, what water does come out, is more likely to be absorbed, than find another case to hide in.

I was a bit worried about the fabric coming apart, but it didn't, through repeated use. Maybe 5 or 6 loads.

It'd be nice to be able to tumble at a 45* angle with a drain, that would solve much.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 5:02:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By dyeager535:
"You need to "tumble" your rifle brass to get the water out of the cases to aid drying.  I ran a load of primed 5.56 without pins, rinsed out the drum well, then dumped the brass right into the dryer (Frankford dehydrator) and two hours later there was still water in there."

I noticed the same. Before I ran out of time I was experimenting with microfiber washcloth-sized fabric to try and suck as much moisture out as I could, rapidly. It worked pretty well, I'd run water through the drum to rinse out all the soap and crud, shake the drum with the slotted cap in place, then replace the clear cap (as 9mm fits through the slots in the factory piece) but throw a microfiber wash cloth in there, and run it for a few minutes.

I just swapped out the cloth for a dry one, and hit it again until the insides of the drum came out dry. Maybe 20 minutes of additional tumbling. Didn't really get to try with rifle brass, but I expect significantly more tumbling would be needed to make sure the majority were empty. But at least with the cloth, what does come out, is more likely to be absorbed, than find another case to hide in.

I was a bit worried about the fabric coming apart, but it didn't, through repeated use. Maybe 5 or 6 loads.

It'd be nice to be able to tumble at a 45* angle with a drain, that would solve much.
View Quote

Oh, I just used my media separator to spin the brass, even though I wasn't separating pins.  It does a good job of knocking the water out.  1 minute and done.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 9:10:47 PM EDT
[#49]
results are in, I knew I had to dump out the dirty water, recover the pins, rinse the pins, separate pins from the brass, etc.  I just sort of winged this part and didn't plan too carefully.  I got pins in the small black tub, one of the orange buckets,  maybe some in the media separator

Pins will stick to anything that's wet: hands, sides of the magnet, side of the bucket, inside threads of the lid to the FART, etc.  I might have lost a few pins if they fell down in the cracks of the decking but other than that all recovered.

Attachment Attached File

Ran for 2 H 15 minutes, happy with first results, think I should have run another hour or so.  The one fired brass is squeaky clean, the multiple fired cases not so much on the inside or primer pockets, but on the outside squeaky clean as well.  The water was still sudsy but when I poured it out saw it was black and nasty

Attachment Attached File

Random sample

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Used a dehydrator to dry them, haven't used it for a while, I make beef jerky about once a year, otherwise it just sits in one of the kitchen cabinets taking up space.  No water spots.  Ran for about 2 hours.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 9:25:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By AssaultRifler:
results are in, I knew I had to dump out the dirty water, recover the pins, rinse the pins, separate pins from the brass, etc.  I just sort of winged this part and didn't plan too carefully.  I got pins in the small black tub, one of the orange buckets,  maybe some in the media separator

Pins will stick to anything that's wet: hands, sides of the magnet, side of the bucket, inside threads of the lid to the FART, etc.  I might have lost a few pins if they fell down in the cracks of the decking but other than that all recovered.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/59119/wt1_jpg-1718541.JPG

Ran for 2 H 15 minutes, happy with first results, think I should have run another hour or so.  The one fired brass is squeaky clean, the multiple fired cases not so much on the inside or primer pockets, but on the outside squeaky clean as well.  The water was still sudsy but when I poured it out saw it was black and nasty

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/59119/wt2_jpg-1718547.JPG

Random sample

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/59119/wt3_jpg-1718551.JPG https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/59119/wt4_jpg-1718552.JPG

Used a dehydrator to dry them, haven't used it for a while, I make beef jerky about once a year, otherwise it just sits in one of the kitchen cabinets taking up space.  No water spots.  Ran for about 2 hours.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/59119/wt5_jpg-1718554.JPG
View Quote

Anything shy of 3 hours just doesn't get my brass bling-bling clean.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top