Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2014 10:38:41 AM EDT
I recently bought a Remington 700 in .300WM and want to slowly turn it into a fancy precision rifle.  Now I need to
start reloading for it.

Does anyone have any advice as to what would be the best dies, powder, primers, bullets, brass, tools, etc. for
precision long-range shooting.  I'll be using it mainly for target shooting and as a learning tool for shooting long-
range.  As such, the bullets can be match instead of hunting.  From what I've seen, I'm looking at the Berger VLD
230 grain bullets.  Is this a good choice and starting point?  The barrel is 26" with a 1:10" twist.

Let me know if you need any more info to answer these questions, and I'll gladly provide it.  Any and all advice,
comments, critiques, and/or knowledge is welcome  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:52:25 AM EDT
[#1]
don't get too hung up on that bullet.  Try a few different bullets across that weight range - Hornady, Sierra, etc...  That's a great bullet, but all depends on what your rifle likes.  I've found RL-22 to be most accurate in my 300, but H100 and Retumbo both have their place on my bench as well.  Start experimenting with bullet, COAL, powder, etc...  It can take a while to really dial in what your rifle likes.  Have you ever reloaded before?  If not, starting with a belted magnum might make for an interesting trip.  If you're just reloading for that one 300, work on getting your rounds to headspace off the shoulder - your brass will last longer, and you'll probably more accurate for it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:59:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Mine likes a healthy dose Reloader 22 and the Sierra 190 MK.

For dies, I'd go with either RCBS or for more precise work, you might try the Forsters.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 2:14:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the help so far.  Looks like RCBS dies to go in my Rock Chucker and RL-22 for powder to start
with.  I plan on trying a few different bullets, but is the Berger a good one to start out with?

I'm a very green novice reloader.  This'll be an adventure...
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:06:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Berger's are excellent bullets, start by seating them about 0.10" off the lands and go from there.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:56:23 PM EDT
[#5]
The Berger 215 Hybrid out of 300 WM is  better than the 230 Berger. The 215 has a smaller bearing surface and will be able to reach 3,000FPS safely the 230 will be tough to get 2775 from a factory 26" barrel. I like the 208 Hornady Amax with H1000.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:31:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Bullets will vary gun to gun but get good dies now.  Redding, Forster Hornady with micrometer come to mind.  Research on other forums for long range shooting too.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:53:18 PM EDT
[#7]
#1 You are the biggest variable
#2 Do quality case prep minimizing variables!
#3 Do a proper load work up at magazine length, and then adjust for OAL.
#4 Do keep records!  That way you do not cover the same ground twice!
#5 Just realize you have to be consistent with your process.  Go off the reservation and you will F up the load work up
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:10:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Size your brass so that it headspaces on the shoulder rather than on the belt.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:24:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Where are you shooting in wv? We shoot in elkins.

If no body covers it I'll respond in the morning.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 8:54:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
#1 You are the biggest variable
#2 Do quality case prep minimizing variables!
#3 Do a proper load work up at magazine length, and then adjust for OAL.
#4 Do keep records!  That way you do not cover the same ground twice!
#5 Just realize you have to be consistent with your process.  Go off the reservation and you will F up the load work up
View Quote

very important.

in regards to equipment what do you currently have? case trimmer? how are you measuring loads? what dies are you considering

as for components, it really depends on the gun, with a 26 inch barrel, I would look at some of the slower powders like h1000 or retumbo, they work for me but don't be afraid to pull up a burn chart and get something close in burn rate if its available to you locally.

don't get really wrapped up in shooting the best most expensive bullet, the 230 bergers are awesome but in WV a 210 class bullet will have no issues running with the 230's inside of 1200 yards.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 8:59:24 AM EDT
[#11]
My target setup loves RL22 and either 190 or 200 SMKs.  Have also had near equal results with the 4831s.  The 4350s = good accuracy but not enough velocity.  Ramshot Magnum = scorching velocity with good accuracy.
If we can't see it it doesn't exist!  FTR's
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:16:21 AM EDT
[#12]
I'll probably try a variety of bullets like the 215 and 230 grain Bergers, 208 gr. AMAXs, and some SMKs.

I'll look into dies that have the micrometer adjustment, and I'll be weighing each powder load.  

Is Little Crow's World's Finest Trimmer a good option for precision work?  I don't have normal trimmer, just
a WFT for .300BLK and some Possum Hollow trimmers for other rounds.  

I'll be mostly shooting at our deer camp in Grant County.  Right now around 900 yards is the maximum range,
but we'll be trying to find places longer shots can be taken and clean up any obstructions.

Thanks for the help so far, guys!
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:51:00 AM EDT
[#13]
I'll second the Forster dies, especially the micrometer seater dies. I have Redding micrometer seating dies too, but they're a no-no for compressed loads.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 2:24:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'll probably try a variety of bullets like the 215 and 230 grain Bergers, 208 gr. AMAXs, and some SMKs.

I'll look into dies that have the micrometer adjustment, and I'll be weighing each powder load.  

Is Little Crow's World's Finest Trimmer a good option for precision work?  I don't have normal trimmer, just
a WFT for .300BLK and some Possum Hollow trimmers for other rounds.  

I'll be mostly shooting at our deer camp in Grant County.  Right now around 900 yards is the maximum range,
but we'll be trying to find places longer shots can be taken and clean up any obstructions.

Thanks for the help so far, guys!
View Quote

not sure about the trimmer just search for some reviews, im sure you can track down some info if its worth while. I use a gracey, think it was around 300 bucks or so, works like an electric pencil sharpener.

how are you measuring your load, are you dropping charges, metering them with a charge master?
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 2:49:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Sierra Match Kings shoot very well right out of the gate. I would try 190's and 200's before going to the more expensive and finicky VLD's. The Sierra bullet design is user friendly and needs very little load development to get good results on target.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 11:42:43 AM EDT
[#16]
I'll just weigh each load on an old-fashioned balance scale and trickle powder to get the right load.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top