Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2014 6:21:16 PM EDT
So up front I know my rifle is inherently not the most accurate out there. Factory plastic stock, not floated or bedded in any way (not really possible for this junker stock), factory trigger and decent glass with a sporter barrel (its a Savage model 111 in 308).

That being said, it seems like every powder charge produces the same results (w/in reason). I wanted to find a bullet my rifle likes more so I am trying out Sierra Game King in 150gr. I am using it in used brass, CCI primers, and various charges of Varget. Cases are all w/in .002" of each other in length and COL is the same variance according to my cheapo Cabelas digital calipers. Bullets were seated .020" OTL.

I tried from 38.5 to 40.5 grains of Varget in 0.5 grain increments and in four shot groups they had no noticeable trend.

All at 100 yards on a somewhat breezy day:

38.5gr - 1.32"
39.0gr - 1.24"
39.5gr - 0.93"
40.0gr - 1.60"
40.5gr - 1.43"

Seems that it dips down at 39.5 but I could have just gotten lucky. It was on an old beat up sled at the range to take out as much human factor as possible but it had no straps.

So overall less than ideal situation but I tried to control as many variables as possible. Even still it seems that there isn't much conclusive data. I had hoped to take the "best" powder charge and then work on the jump to the lands and find the best there, but I really don't think I have enough data to go on.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 6:48:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't over think this..........

You had best group with 39.5.  Try it again with a 10shot group over a chronograph to check velocity.

(I don't use less than 10shot groups for anything but a quick scan.  4 shots doesn't tell you much- grouping or velocity wise.)
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 6:49:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Hodgdon data for 308 shows Varget start 42.3gr max 46.5C.

You might try Optimal Charge Weight (OCW) with .04gr increments as described in Dan Newberry's method.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 7:02:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You might try Optimal Charge Weight (OCW) with .04gr increments as described in Dan Newberry's method.
View Quote

Actually Hodgdon data for the 150gr Cup-n-core bullet is,

HodgdonVarget.308"2.800"Start 44.0 2,788.   43,300 CUP.   Max47.0C    2,937.   50,300 CUP   

The data you quoted is for the E-Tip an All Copper bullet.

To the OP, Where did you get your data from?

You are  Waaay below "Start" charge according to Hodgdon.  Going below Minimum can be just a dangerous as going above maximum.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 7:40:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah he's low but I doubt he's getting dangerously low.

To the OP, you should consider the OCW test. After that you can modify it and do an OCL (Optimal Cartridge Length) test in the same round-robin style.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 7:55:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd try the 39.5 again.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 8:17:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Don't over think this..........

You had best group with 39.5.  Try it again with a 10shot group over a chronograph to check velocity.

(I don't use less than 10shot groups for anything but a quick scan.  4 shots doesn't tell you much- grouping or velocity wise.)
View Quote

I'll load up some more for each charge tonight to try out this weekend. I don't know if I have enough to try 10 shot groups for each charge since I have only about 1/2 lb of Varget left and we all know how scarce it is.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 8:17:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'll read that now. Thanks for the link!
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 8:20:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

HodgdonVarget.308"2.800"Start 44.0 2,788.   43,300 CUP.   Max47.0C    2,937.   50,300 CUP   

You are  Waaay below "Start" charge according to Hodgdon.  Going below Minimum can be just a dangerous as going above maximum.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got my load data from the Hornady loading manual for a 150gr, their #3033 BTSP bullet which looks nearly identical to the Gameking except for the cannelure.

For Varget it shows 2300FPS at 35.9gr up to a max of 2700FPS at 44.9gr. It seems the Hornady manual has the max load where the data you have from Hodgdon begins.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 8:21:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yeah he's low but I doubt he's getting dangerously low.

To the OP, you should consider the OCW test. After that you can modify it and do an OCL (Optimal Cartridge Length) test in the same round-robin style.
View Quote

Thats the plan now, thanks!
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 8:35:35 PM EDT
[#10]
So went to the Hodgdon website and sure enough it had the starting load for Varget the same as the max load in the Hornady manual. Any idea why this could be the case?
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 9:40:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So went to the Hodgdon website and sure enough it had the starting load for Varget the same as the max load in the Hornady manual. Any idea why this could be the case?
View Quote

Different test conditions, different perspectives of liability, etc.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 10:16:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

When in doubt, get more sources and toss the high and the low.  Hornady is Low, I would toss it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 12:49:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I agree with all of the above.  

Replacing that plastic stock with a Bell & Carlson Medalist stock, with full length aluminum bedding, will help a lot.  It did for me.

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 1:14:09 PM EDT
[#14]
I do understand about Varget being hard to find.
You do what you can.

Part of why I suggest running the loads over a chronograph is to address exactly what some posters are genuinely concerned over.....whether your loads might be too light.
If you are getting good accuracy and velocity (in that order) and its 39.5, Be happy move on down the road...................

What I've found though (FWIW) is that as you go up in charges, there may be several accuracy nodes.  One at the lower end of velocity and one at, for lack of better terminology, towards a full charge but not a maximum.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:10:34 PM EDT
[#15]
thats probably going to be about as good as you can get from that rifle if you can put them under MOA

free float and glass bed the stock, use some good optics and the group should shrink considerably.
also as others have said you are WAY low on your charge. Im using 42.9gr of varget behind a 175 grain matchking and getting 2640fps from my savage 10fcp-hs

the best think you can do to improve your ammo without dropping alot of money, weigh every charge to be exact. and be silky smooth on the trigger.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:19:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Have you thought about using a heavier bullet? I shoot 168 A-Max loaded as long as I can make them and still get them in the mag. This tightened my groups up considerably from using 150's.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:58:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thoughts?
View Quote

At first, I wanted to know how much of the group size was associated with varying wind conditions.  I no longer do.

What are your objectives for this load/rifle/scope?  Why is it that 1" groups are not adequate?  

You're using a hunting bullet.  If the rifle is for hunting, you are DONE!
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 7:16:15 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a couple of Savage .308's and neither shoots to my liking. I glass bedded both actions with no improvement. My M1-A's shoot better than they do. My Remington 700's put them to shame. Close to 1" groups is very good for a factory stock rifle priced in the economy class. I would be pretty happy.

What type brass are you using? Your powder charges of Varget are less than what I use in Lake City brass shooting 168 grain Sierra Match Kings. You can safely increase your powder charge by at least 2.5 grains even if you're using military surplus brass. Even more if you are using Winchester.

Full power Palma match loads use 46.0 to 47.0 grains of Varget with 155 grain Sierra Match Kings in Winchester brass. This is a maximum load, not to be exceeded in any rifle. It runs 2950 fps +/- from 30" Palma barrels. Closer to 2800 fps from a 24". You have room to go higher with your powder charge.

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:06:02 PM EDT
[#19]
With 308/7.62 x 51, mixed brass can be a problem- the internal volume varies due to wall thickness variations. GI brass such a Lake City (LC) or IVI definitely will result in higher pressure, etc. than commercial brass. So if you are trying for accuracy, make sure the brass is at least of the same type. And, groups less than 1 inch in a non-floated rifle are actually pretty good.

Good Luck!
Ronnie
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top