Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2014 3:36:14 PM EDT
I am looking for what a cheap press would be for forming 300blk brass.

It might be for decapping also. But mainly turning 5.56 brass into 300blk brass.

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 4:08:05 PM EDT
[#1]
If you're just looking for a cheap single stage that you're going to dedicate to forming brass, I'd go with something like this http://www.midwayusa.com/product/807734/lee-reloader-single-stage-press?cm_vc=ProductFinding

ETA: When you convert brass you can cut it at the shoulder, size, then trim, or do what I do and take the expanding ball out of your sizing die, run the 5.56 brass through the die, then size, cut and trim. I find that rough cut and unsized brass likes to snag on the rim of my hornady sizing die.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 4:21:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I am looking for what a cheap press would be for forming 300blk brass.

It might be for decapping also. But mainly turning 5.56 brass into 300blk brass.

View Quote

Look for used single stage presses too.... craigslist, facebook trade groups are your friends. Easily pick up a used one for less then $50 all day long.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 4:39:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you're just looking for a cheap single stage that you're going to dedicate to forming brass, I'd go with something like this http://www.midwayusa.com/product/807734/lee-reloader-single-stage-press?cm_vc=ProductFinding
View Quote

This...

I feed the press with my right hand because Im right handed, and its way faster.  Thats why its setup to feed and eject to the right.  To make the ejector work I had to remove the shell holder spring, and drill the ram to flip it to the other side, otherwise the ejector would catch on the spring.  The ramp is just a piece of 20g steel I had on hand.  

Im decapping around 20 cases a minute on this without working at it too hard.  This press should be fine for doing sizing on.  The ejector and ramp make a huge difference in how fast you can run.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 5:44:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I am confused by question. Any press will work. If you are a reloader, you should have a press.

So, let me back up and ask a couple questions, are you aware there is case prep work needed before sizing? That tends to cost more for most of us who don't have a ton of tools. The sizing die alone doesnt convert the brass.

FWIW, I use the HF chop saw method with jig. Then I size and trim with dillon 1200 on a single stage press. Little more to it but those are key components.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 6:32:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Same here, I use my Lyman turret press to form them in the sizing die, the trim to length and proceed with the process, no need for a special dedicated press unless you just want to. The 300 blk is easy to form, doesn't need a big heavy press to do it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 6:52:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 8:12:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Forming Blackout brass from .223 brass amounts to nothing more than sizing the case. No extra effort needed. Cut off the neck and size and form in one step. Buy the best press you can afford here at Christmas time. I too would recommend a quality cast iron press such as a RCBS Rockchucker, new or used. Do not recommend the cheap RCBS Partner or similar. No experience with Lee presses. Buy a press that will last a lifetime and one you'll be satisfied with.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 10:43:45 PM EDT
[#8]
My reloading set up is not at my house.

I am thinking about another single stage to make brass while I'm away from my reloading set up.

Set a place to decap and convert the 5.56 to 300 brass
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:51:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I went and bough one of the Lee sinels, for$30, and a standalone sizing die, just to convert brass.  It's only $60 invested, and I can use the single stage for other projects down teh road.  This lets me run my progressive loading as a seperate entity from forming brass.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top