Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/7/2014 7:11:09 PM EDT
What are everyone's opinion on buying a used one?  I have heard that they can develop electronic problems that are expensive to repair.  Is there any easy way to check to see if one is working properly or not, and what is a fair price for one?  I am afraid that I am going to put money into something that will cost me more than it is worth.

Thanks for the advice.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 7:28:28 PM EDT
[#1]
It's a personal decision of course, but I wouldn't buy a used Chargemaster for more than throw away money UNLESS I knew the person's TRUE motivation for selling it and operability was guaranteed.

As for price . . . I'd want to make sure I could replace the scale and still come out (equal or) better than having bought a new dispenser/scale from the gitgo.

If I were to test one, I'd probably turn it on for an hour then throw lots of charges and weigh them on my own calibrated scale. Then leave it on overnight, and repeat the next day.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 7:43:26 PM EDT
[#2]
it is an estate type thing, so the person claims to have no experience with it.  I don't want to take advantage of anyone, but I don't want to bring home an expensive paperweight.  Since I don't really know the person, I doubt if he will let me keep it for a trial period.

From what i have researched, the scales seem to die before the dispensers.  But a dispenser without a scale is useless, right?
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 11:30:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 11:51:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
it is an estate type thing, so the person claims to have no experience with it.  I don't want to take advantage of anyone, but I don't want to bring home an expensive paperweight.  Since I don't really know the person, I doubt if he will let me keep it for a trial period.

From what i have researched, the scales seem to die before the dispensers.  But a dispenser without a scale is useless, right?
View Quote
Since it is part of an estate, the owner isn't selling it specifically because it's broken. If its the only piece of reloading gear, it may not have been used for a long time - either a plus or a minus, dunno. Can't hurt to ask for a 3-day guarantee, right? The seller may agree - there may not be a lot of customers for that piece of kit.

Of the two parts, IMO the scale (damaged load cell, etc) is the more problematic.

If/when you test it, do NOT expect it to be perfectly accurate or 100% consistent. Despite all the comments like  ". . . my Chargemaster is dead on, all day long. Buy one and don;t look back" you might read, they aren't.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 12:41:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Since it is part of an estate, the owner isn't selling it specifically because it's broken. If its the only piece of reloading gear, it may not have been used for a long time - either a plus or a minus, dunno. Can't hurt to ask for a 3-day guarantee, right? The seller may agree - there may not be a lot of customers for that piece of kit.

Of the two parts, IMO the scale (damaged load cell, etc) is the more problematic.

If/when you test it, do NOT expect it to be perfectly accurate or 100% consistent. Despite all the comments like  ". . . my Chargemaster is dead on, all day long. Buy one and don;t look back" you might read, they aren't.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have been using one for the past 3 years and I baby the living shit out of it. I have never jiggled it or treated it roughly. Whenever I remove and replace the way pan I have always done it very gently. Mine was really not that accurate until I reprogrammed it, and used the McDonald's straw method. Now it will throw at least 90 out of 100 charges right on.

With that being said IMHO I would never ever buy a used one from anyone no matter where it was from. If that thing goes on you, you would be completely screwed out of your money. Like another poster here said if you can get it for throwaway money, then I guess I would give it a shot as long as you are willing to except that it may not last long depending on how good of shape it was in the first place.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 10:08:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I honestly think they're junk.  I went through 3 of them.

They had a 2 year warranty, then a 1 year warranty, and now there's claims that RCBS says they're aren't warrantying them anymore.

Chinese Crap.

I was like the above user, babied them, and put them back in the box after each use.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 10:27:23 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a Chargemaster 1500, my two brothers both have one.  I use it from time to time when loading on the RC.  Has always been very accurate, but I still check it ever so often to make sure it's on.  All three have been good.

To the OP, I'd sooner put my money for a new one then take a chance on an unknown, unless of course you could get it for next to nothing.

ETA; I leave mine setting on the loading bench.  I keep it covered when not in use, but no special care
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 12:22:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I honestly think they're junk.  I went through 3 of them.

They had a 2 year warranty, then a 1 year warranty, and now there's claims that RCBS says they're aren't warrantying them anymore.

Chinese Crap.

I was like the above user, babied them, and put them back in the box after each use.
View Quote

What happened to the 3 you had?

Was it different for each one, or the same problem for all 3 every time?

How long did you have them before having problems with them?
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 9:25:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I just bought one and used it for the first time last night. I'm wondering how I got by for so long without it! I saw one used but for the price it was going for I went new. Natches has them for $279 currently.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 10:33:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Ive had two, first one was replaced under warranty.  2nd one has been going strong for 4 years..  When it craps out, I'll buy another one.

ETA I don't baby this one at all.  I lug it back and fourth to the range constantly, move it around all the time, never a problem.  I do use a variation of the straw to prevent overthrows.  

I would not by a used one, just invest in new.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 7:31:11 PM EDT
[#11]
I have one I bought slightly used. It worked great but somehow was broken in a move. Need to replace the dispenser part, but at least the scale consistently matches up with my beam scale.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 2:13:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have one I bought slightly used. It worked great but somehow was broken in a move. Need to replace the dispenser part, but at least the scale consistently matches up with my beam scale.
View Quote

Same thing. Mine matches up every time.

I'm still waiting on the other poster who went through 3 different 1500 combo's to tell us what the problems were with all 3 of them
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 10:28:15 PM EDT
[#13]
They stopped powering up.

The first one was used for one session and never worked again.

The second lasted 13 months. When I got this one, warranty was still 2 years. Called it in and Rep says warranty is now only 1 year and they won't honor the 2nd year of my warranty. $45 to fix (replace)

That replacement, I cant' usage or time, but I remember shelling out $45 again, and then basically, giving it away.

If the combo cost $49.95, I would have expected that *****, but at $300, it's ****<ease up on the language, this is a technical forum> you can still get your point across and remain civil. dryflash3. garbage.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 10:36:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Bought mine used off the EE here several years back.  Looked like it was well taken care of.  

Have never had a lick of trouble with it, so far.  Always right-on when compared to my beam scales.

I really don't baby the thing, per se.  It sits in my garage, plugged in 24/7. Calibrate it before each and every use.  

Don't know why some are so problematic.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 10:54:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 11:04:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
They stopped powering up.
The first one was used for one session and never worked again.
The second lasted 13 months. When I got this one, warranty was still 2 years. Called it in and Rep says warranty is now only 1 year and they won't honor the 2nd year of my warranty. $45 to fix (replace)

That replacement, I cant' usage or time, but I remember shelling out $45 again, and then basically, giving it away.

If the combo cost $49.95, I would have expected that *****, but at $300, it's ****<ease up on the language, this is a technical forum> you can still get your point across and remain civil. dryflash3. garbage.
View Quote

No biggie, I can accept that. There are many products that I think are garbage that others have had great luck with, but I will always think they are garbage because of the negative experiences I had with them.

YMMV and all that comes into play.

ETA: I will also say that I can't blame you there. To be honest if the next one I were to buy started screwing up on me and I had a bad time with it even after getting a 2nd replacement I would probably never buy one of these again either.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 9:36:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I just bought one and used it for the first time last night. I'm wondering how I got by for so long without it! I saw one used but for the price it was going for I went new. Natches has them for $279 currently.
View Quote

And if you buy $21 more of stuff from RCBS (over $300 for the year) there is a $50 rebate from RCBS...
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 10:41:10 PM EDT
[#18]
I have 4 that I have used extensively over a 2 year period with 0 problems.  If you can get a used one cheap, and it actually measures and dispenses correctly, go for it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 12:48:31 AM EDT
[#19]
The problem with them is they are inconsistent quality wise.  The ones that work well are great and tend to have few if any problems.  The ones that have issues from the get go or shortly thereafter are garbage as others have stated.  RCBS no longer offering a warranty on this item should tell you something about the total quality and quality control during manufacturing.

I have one and use it often, fortunately mine works very well.  If you have a good one you might want to check out the speed programing article on the Accurate Shooter Websight.    http://www.accurateshooter.com/gear-reviews/speed-up-your-rcbs-chargemaster/.  Sorry for some reason my laptop won't let me make the link hot.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:13:19 AM EDT
[#20]
rcbs, on there website, still claims a 1 year limited warranty.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 2:28:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The problem with them is they are inconsistent quality wise.  The ones that work well are great and tend to have few if any problems.  The ones that have issues from the get go or shortly thereafter are garbage as others have stated.  RCBS no longer offering a warranty on this item should tell you something about the total quality and quality control during manufacturing.

I have one and use it often, fortunately mine works very well.  If you have a good one you might want to check out the speed programing article on the Accurate Shooter Websight.    http://www.accurateshooter.com/gear-reviews/speed-up-your-rcbs-chargemaster/.  Sorry for some reason my laptop won't let me make the link hot.
View Quote

This is a good video for reprogramming the combo. I used this guys numbers and it has worked good for mine.

Link Posted: 1/2/2015 10:45:49 AM EDT
[#22]
I just got one of the Chargemasters-  can one of you point me in the direction of more information on the McDonalds straw method?
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 12:15:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I just got one of the Chargemasters-  can one of you point me in the direction of more information on the McDonalds straw method?
View Quote

http://www.accurateshooter.com/gear-reviews/speed-up-your-rcbs-chargemaster/

Pretty much all the mods are talked about in this link. The McDonalds straw mod is the 8th paragraph down.

The video I linked above is the easiest one to follow for reprograming.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 12:22:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Great- thank you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top