Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2014 10:39:23 PM EDT
Two days ago I loaded 200 rounds with hardly an issue(aside from a couple of primer jams, causing loss of primer and brass)but today no primers were picked up from the tube.

I went through the primer feed system, cleaning it up, trying to make adjustments to get the primer carrier to move far enough back to pick up a primer but it just won't go back that far.

Of course, I know RTFM but I will have to dig it out.

Any ideas?
Thanks

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:43:04 PM EDT
[#1]
You need to flip the rod that the roller moves on. It's not symmetrical.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:49:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Pics of how you have it would help.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:50:57 PM EDT
[#3]
One end is threaded.
Just stick the smooth end in the base?

And thanks.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:51:06 PM EDT
[#4]
The cam rod is apparently not properly aligned.

Here's the manual - without you having to dig it out.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:15:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Well hell. That's slicker than owl shit man!

If I'd known this before I went to the nifty fifty's Halloween party I might have made my BIL an offer on his super sport.
Until I saw it made 600 hp!
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:50:27 AM EDT
[#6]
There are  2 possibilities:

1) You have the cam rod upside down - consult the manual.

2) More likely, the cam rod (top) needs to be moved further away from the press to pull the primer slide further back. This is done by loosning the screw (7) holding the black plastic bracket (8), moving the bracket (and the top of the cam rod), and then tightening the screw.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 6:32:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Try adjusting the black slotted tab back to force the pickup farther to the rear. If you run out of adjustment and it's still. It far enough back you could take a Dremel or a small round file and lengthen the slot to get more adjustment. When my LnL AP was new, I had the primer tube bolt too tight and it caused the primer pick up to drag which bent the guide just enough to make it not work. One call to Hornady and they sent me a new one for free. If you can't get it work no matter what you do, give their CS a call and they'll care of you.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:08:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Twoboxer, my press came assembled angle has worked relatively troublefree for almost ten years. I don't think the cam rod has been upside down. It is now but seems to work well vendors if it's a temporary fix.

K2enemy, I tried that early on but couldn't get it far enough out.
I'd rather not grind on the press itself.

Thanks for the help.

Thanks for the manual Mr Porter.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:05:26 AM EDT
[#9]
If you can't adjust the can wire far enough to get the primer slide to pick up a primer then lengthen the slot on the black bracket so you can move it a little more.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:21:34 AM EDT
[#10]
I flipped the cam rod like nitsuj suggested and it worked well(enough for 10pm on Saturday night). This will get me through reloading today if I need to and carry me until I get a replacement part or two.

I try to refrain from altering engineered parts since I'm not one.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:05:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Its really just a matter of lengthening the slot on the top of the bracket. A
hornady tech suggested I try it when I called about the same problem last week. After 10 years you might need a new cam wire. They updated the cam wire assembly 3-4 years ago and will send you a new one if you give them call. My press had become a priming nightmare and Hornady got me sorted out with one call.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:08:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Mr Porter, I loaded up the manual but it is pretty vague as far as troubleshooting goes.

I will put in some press time his afternoon and report back but last night it all seemed to be good.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:56:11 PM EDT
[#13]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Twoboxer, my press came assembled angle has worked relatively troublefree for almost ten years. I don't think the cam rod has been upside down. It is now but seems to work well vendors if it's a temporary fix.

K2enemy, I tried that early on but couldn't get it far enough out.

I'd rather not grind on the press itself.

Thanks for the help.

Thanks for the manual Mr Porter.
View Quote
Noo...you don't grind or cut anything on the press itself. You open up the slot in the black plastic bracket to give yourself more adjustment.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:36:29 PM EDT
[#14]
It seems that just flipping that rod did the trick.
I loaded another 20 rounds without a stutter so I'm calling it good but if things go south again I will correct it and trim he black plastic piece.

Thanks K2.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 7:35:54 PM EDT
[#15]
The manual tells you where the primer slide cam rod should be installed, how it should be adjusted, and where.  That should be enough to get you going with a permanent fix.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top