Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2014 10:47:02 PM EDT
Ok guys here is the deal. I have loaded tons of rounds for my old model 10 .308 hornady amax 180g and 180g soft points. Both at 2.800. No issues what so ever, well I got a new .308 mod 10 and they both chamber fine.

I order rmr .308 match bullets. Supposedly same as smk they are 175g I have seen and in books 2.800 and even 2.750

2.800 won't chamber
2.750 is super sticky bolt

What the deal? All brass is the same lot and everything. Do I just need to bump it down or what? Will it cause pressure being seated deeper than 2.750
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:09:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Shoot them seated deeper. The throat will move forward after about 200 rounds.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:34:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Ok guys here is the deal. I have loaded tons of rounds for my old model 10 .308 hornady amax 180g and 180g soft points. Both at 2.800. No issues what so ever, well I got a new .308 mod 10 and they both chamber fine.

I order rmr .308 match bullets. Supposedly same as smk they are 175g I have seen and in books 2.800 and even 2.750

2.800 won't chamber

What the deal? All brass is the same lot and everything. Do I just need to bump it down or what? Will it cause pressure being seated deeper than 2.750
View Quote

I always check to see where bullets touch the lands before I start loading a new bullet. You would think if they are the same weight everything

would be the same but it's sometimes not the case. That being said, the new Savage 10 chambers have been known to be very tight, I had to send mine

back because I could barely get a Hornady 168 to fit without being sticky. They polished the chamber and said it was good, but I could not play

with seating depth.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:56:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Savage chambers have a short throat.  I have to seat my cast bullets deep to get them to chamber.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:09:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Savage chambers have a short throat.  I have to seat my cast bullets deep to get them to chamber.
View Quote

Not all, just ones made in last year or two.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:28:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Will that cause more pressure issues requiring a less powerful load
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:48:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Will that cause more pressure issues requiring a less powerful load
View Quote

If you are pushed into the lands  the odds are very high it will cause more pressure. DO NOT FIRE THEM! Loading to the lands requires working up to that point.

"identical" bullets from different companies can have different ogives, so one loaded to 2.800 will be fine but another may be touching the lands. This is why using a comparator is far superior to using OAL for seating depths.

I would pull a bullet(remove powder) from an offending round, seat it long, then seat it deeper continually until it fits then see how much too long the others are. Never mind I would do things that may not be safe that I cannot recommend to anyone else; I have a bullet trap that would contain a blowing up gun. Pull them all or use them in the other gun.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:01:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

2.800 won't chamber

View Quote

Anytime you seat deeper you WILL increase pressure, this is a fact. You are decreasing case volume.

So you are firing these and getting a sticky bolt, that means the pressure is too high, seating deeper will make is worse very quickly because you are already overpressure. Don't worry about what books say every gun is different you have to go by your gun.  To fix your problem you are going to have to drop your charge weight down a bit.

Buy one of these Hornady OAL gage and this to go with it Modified case and then this for your caliper Comparitor and you can safely load any bullet you want made for YOUR gun.

I load bullets from SAAMI length to nearly 1/2" over using the above tools, for about $65 every rifle loader should have these...../ or use the old fashion method which is kind of a clusterfuck IMO.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:46:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Your old rifle probably had tighter headspace and the old reloads are binding in the new rifle's chamber when you close the bolt. This would cause difficult extraction of the loaded ammo as well.

Are there rifling marks on the extracted bullets? If there is, your bullets are jamming into the lands when seated at 2.800" I would be surprised. Do you trim your cases after you resize them?

Untrimmed cases can grow long enough to enter the leade and firing them would be problematic, and maybe explosive.  

Whatever the cause you have to discover and fix it. Simply seating the bullets another ..020" will fix the problem if the bullets are actually touching the rifling. If seating the bullets deeper doesn't work then you probably have an ammunition headspace problem or the cases should have been trimmed but weren't.

Edited to add: Reading your post again I think I inferred that you had a new .308. If you are loading the original "old" Model 10 and the only change is bullet brand (RMR), then you are almost certainly too long for that bullet design. Lower your powder charge and seat the bullets deep enough to allow at least .020" jump to the rifling.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:49:49 PM EDT
[#9]
So I have loaded ammo from my previous rifle hornady 180g amax 2.800 but the rmr match kings are the only ones causing issues. I seated one in an empty case at 2.600 still sticky bolt. This is stupid. I might just try and send them back
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:45:10 PM EDT
[#10]
It sounds like your resizing die isn't turned down far enough. I bet empty cases will be sticky if you try to chamber them. Your new rifle has tighter headspace making the old ammo unusable without further resizing.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 7:51:15 AM EDT
[#11]
I think my working is confusing.

Old hornady ammo amax 2.800 is fine no stick.

All brass professionally processed and checked.

New attempted load rmr match kings 2.800-2.600 sticky bolt

Hopefully this simplifies it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:35:22 AM EDT
[#12]
If 2.600 doesn't fit the case is not sized or trimmed properly. As stated above chamber a case with no projectile.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 12:05:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Are you full length resizing?
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 12:33:30 PM EDT
[#14]
After verifying that the case is resized and trimmed correctly for your chamber by chambering an empty resized case as mentioned above, if you still have chambering issues consider the fact that two different bullet brands or types of the same weight likely have a different ojive shape which can affect the round's OAL measurement and how they seat in a new, tight chamber.  That's why you have to recheck your loads when you change bullet types.

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 2:38:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Have you measured the actual diameter of the bulk bullets you purchased? They may be foreign surplus and slightly oversize, they may even be .311"/.312" meant for Russian surplus Mosin Nagant WWII bolt actions. Even when seating to 2.60" and it's still sticking is a dead give away NOT to shoot them!
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 5:33:26 PM EDT
[#16]
They measure out to .308

I seated one to 2.700 and it chambered fine. I'm lost. I might just call rmr and see if I can send them back. Some chamber ok some don't
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 6:19:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Also I took the advice and tried to chamber an empty round of brass. Some chambers some does not. So does that mean it's the brass causing the issue
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 6:32:37 PM EDT
[#18]
I'd run the offending brass through the full length sizing die and see if that improves the situation.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:28:05 PM EDT
[#19]
You're not sizing the brass enough.  Shoulder needs to be set back a little more.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:45:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You're not sizing the brass enough.  Shoulder needs to be set back a little more.
View Quote

Brass was all purchased from a reprocessing company. It a fired out of my old .308
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:23:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:36:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Just because you bought "prepared" brass, doesn't mean it is sized to fit your chamber.  

You are going to have to resize your cases with a sizing die set for your chamber.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Brass was all purchased from a reprocessing company. It a fired out of my old .308
Just because you bought "prepared" brass, doesn't mean it is sized to fit your chamber.  

You are going to have to resize your cases with a sizing die set for your chamber.

Do I just need to set the die deeper than normal or what?
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:00:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Follow the instructions that came with your die.  Most will full length size when the die contacts the shell holder at the top of the ram stroke.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:22:22 PM EDT
[#24]

Do I just need to set the die deeper than normal or what?
View Quote

Take a half dozen or so cases that won't chamber easy.  You shouldn't be forcing the bolt closed.  Set up the die. according to the directions -- the more you screw it into the press the farther it pushes the shoulder back.  Set it up for minimal set back at first.  Lube cases - size - clean lube off - and see if they chamber.  If they don't chamber easily, screw the die down about a 1/16th of a turn.  Repeat the process until the resized cases chamber without forcing the bolt.  Reference this setup for future reloading.  Don't over do it on setting the shoulder back.  It will weaken the brass causing possible case head separation in the future.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 2:36:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 2:36:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top