Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2014 9:59:26 PM EDT
I know this has been done to death but ive been searching for a cheap easy to come by case lube. I think ive found a great product. It consists of Castor oil, Paraffin wax, and Isopropyl Alcohol. First i melt 1oz of paraffin wax pour in 1oz of castor oil and while its warm pour that into 10oz of Isopropyl alcohol 91%. The resulting lube is cheap, easy to get, sizes awesome without denting, and its easy to clean off just wipe off with a rag.
Paraffin wax is easy to get just buy a cheap candle walmart sells 50 tea candles for $2.50. I used 1 tea light candle and crumbled it up so it melted faster. Castor oil is easy to find as well its almost everywhere walmart sells 6oz bottle for $2.50. And isopropyl alcohol 91% for 16oz at walmart was $1.50. So all in all my mix cost me $1.50 for 12oz. The mixture is still being perfected as to the mixture percentages. I think bees wax would work better. I tried using liquid lanolin oil mixed with isopropyl alcohol it worked great but was a nightmare to clean off. Ive used One shot and it was worthless for me and expensive. Rcbs case lube on a pad works great easy to clean off but time consuming. I love the ease of spray lubes. Please let me know what you guys think.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:10:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:28:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I know this has been done to death but ive been searching for a cheap easy to come by case lube. I think ive found a great product. It consists of Castor oil, Paraffin wax, and Isopropyl Alcohol. First i melt 1oz of paraffin wax pour in 1oz of castor oil and while its warm pour that into 10oz of Isopropyl alcohol 91%. The resulting lube is cheap, easy to get, sizes awesome without denting, and its easy to clean off just wipe off with a rag.
Paraffin wax is easy to get just buy a cheap candle walmart sells 50 tea candles for $2.50. I used 1 tea light candle and crumbled it up so it melted faster. Castor oil is easy to find as well its almost everywhere walmart sells 6oz bottle for $2.50. And isopropyl alcohol 91% for 16oz at walmart was $1.50. So all in all my mix cost me $1.50 for 12oz. The mixture is still being perfected as to the mixture percentages. I think bees wax would work better. I tried using liquid lanolin oil mixed with isopropyl alcohol it worked great but was a nightmare to clean off. Ive used One shot and it was worthless for me and expensive. Rcbs case lube on a pad works great easy to clean off but time consuming. I love the ease of spray lubes. Please let me know what you guys think.
View Quote

If you follow the directions it actually works quite well.

I'm sure it is more expensive than do-it-yourself lubes though, if that's what you're going for. I find it convenient and don't mind paying for it
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:04:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank  you  so  much  for  the  tip  about  double  spacing.  I  actually  used  that  exact  brand  of  lanolin  the  first  time  around  and  91%   it worked  great  but difficult  to  clean  off.  Recently  i found  out  that  some  soaps work  on  lanolin  and  some  don't  which i  found  weird.  Ivory  for  some  reason  will  emulsify  the  lanolin  but  dawn didn't  for  me. When  you  use  the  right  soap  the  lanolin  will  turn  white  and  come  right  off.  Also  just  tried  the  lanolin  mix  again  and  used 99%  alcohol  which  i can  get  free  from  work and  it mixed  cold  and hasn't separated  and  its been 24  hours. I  did like  the  lanolin  but  even  that  is  hard  to  come  by  for  some  and  can  be  kinda  pricey.  Just  wanted  to  make  a  lube  for  those  that wanted  a  cheap  and  easily  acquired  alternative.  Next i  will  try  bees  wax.  My  buddy  is  looking  for  an  alternative  since  he  use  to  use  ONE SHOT  but  now  is  too  expensive. He  wanted  something  with  absolutely  no petroleum  product  so  that's  what  i  did.  He  is  a  fire  captain  who  competes  in  some shooting  competitions  with  cops  not  sure what  it  is  but  he  didn't  want  his  rounds  to  be  duds  when  he  gets  out  there.  Hes also  helping  me  build  my  first  AR15.  Im  very  excited  about  that.  Any  input  on  my recipe  would  be  very  appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:06:19 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thank  you  so  much  for  the  tip  about  double  spacing.  I  actually  used  that  exact  brand  of  lanolin  the  first  time  around  and  91%   it worked  great  but difficult  to  clean  off.  Recently  i found  out  that  some  soaps work  on  lanolin  and  some  don't  which i  found  weird.  Ivory  for  some  reason  will  emulsify  the  lanolin  but  dawn didn't  for  me. When  you  use  the  right  soap  the  lanolin  will  turn  white  and  come  right  off.  Also  just  tried  the  lanolin  mix  again  and  used 99%  alcohol  which  i can  get  free  from  work and  it mixed  cold  and hasn't separated  and  its been 24  hours. I  did like  the  lanolin  but  even  that  is  hard  to  come  by  for  some  and  can  be  kinda  pricey.  Just  wanted  to  make  a  lube  for  those  that wanted  a  cheap  and  easily  acquired  alternative.  Next i  will  try  bees  wax.  My  buddy  is  looking  for  an  alternative  since  he  use  to  use  ONE SHOT  but  now  is  too  expensive. He  wanted  something  with  absolutely  no petroleum  product  so  that's  what  i  did.  He  is  a  fire  captain  who  competes  in  some shooting  competitions  with  cops  not  sure what  it  is  but  he  didn't  want  his  rounds  to  be  duds  when  he  gets  out  there.  Hes also  helping  me  build  my  first  AR15.  Im  very  excited  about  that.  Any  input  on  my recipe  would  be  very  appreciated.
View Quote

Sounds like an interesting alternative to the lanolin lube.

Just a point though, paraffin wax and, to an extent, the ip-OH, are both "petroleum products".  Regardless, so long as the alcohol is allowed to evaporate, I see no concern with possibly "deactivating" the ammo with your recipe.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:14:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thank  you  so  much  for  the  tip  about  double  spacing.  I  actually  used  that  exact  brand  of  lanolin  the  first  time  around  and  91%   it worked  great  but difficult  to  clean  off.  Recently  i found  out  that  some  soaps work  on  lanolin  and  some  don't  which i  found  weird.  Ivory  for  some  reason  will  emulsify  the  lanolin  but  dawn didn't  for  me. When  you  use  the  right  soap  the  lanolin  will  turn  white  and  come  right  off.  Also  just  tried  the  lanolin  mix  again  and  used 99%  alcohol  which  i can  get  free  from  work and  it mixed  cold  and hasn't separated  and  its been 24  hours. I  did like  the  lanolin  but  even  that  is  hard  to  come  by  for  some  and  can  be  kinda  pricey.  Just  wanted  to  make  a  lube  for  those  that wanted  a  cheap  and  easily  acquired  alternative.  Next i  will  try  bees  wax.  My  buddy  is  looking  for  an  alternative  since  he  use  to  use  ONE SHOT  but  now  is  too  expensive. He  wanted  something  with  absolutely  no petroleum  product  so  that's  what  i  did.  He  is  a  fire  captain  who  competes  in  some shooting  competitions  with  cops  not  sure what  it  is  but he  didn't  want  his  rounds  to  be  duds  when  he  gets  out  there.  Hes also  helping  me  build  my  first  AR15.  Im  very  excited  about  that.  Any  input  on  my recipe  would  be  very  appreciated.
View Quote

I don't get this part. One shot won't affect powder
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:06:39 PM EDT
[#6]
He  liked  One  Shot  but  now  its  too  expensive.  I  know  one  shot  is  safe  to  leave  in  cases  but  most  other  homebrews  are  not.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:30:54 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm using a 1:12 ratio of lanolin oil and isoheet. I shake 'n bake, let dry, then go directly to resizing and loading. I've never had trouble with rounds failing to go boom when I want them to.

I've never actually heard of anyone having trouble with homebrewed lubes contaminating powder in the case. Have I just had my head in the sand?
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:26:01 PM EDT
[#8]
No  hes  just  very  paranoid.  He  was  interested  in  using  lanolin  but  when  i  couldnt  clean  it  off  the  cases  and  he  had  to  use  his  tumbler  to  get  the  lanolin  off  it  kinda  turned  him  off  to  it  but  now  that  i  know  how  to  clean  it  off  he  may  try  it  now.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:32:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Wow what a waste of time searching. Im done i found the ultimate cheap spray case lube easy to get easy to clean and sizes just as easy as lanolin. 91% isopropyl alcohol and OLIVE OIL mixed 10:1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top