Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2014 9:40:49 AM EDT
So I've been shooting Winchester brass for a few years in my .308 and I've about run out of my stock. I'm looking at picking up some Lapua now but I'm wondering if I can just keep my load the same or should I re work it? It's coming down close to hunting season and I've only got about 2 weeks left to finalize my load and get some loaded up. What's everyone's opinion? Should I just look at picking up some more WInchester or switch to Lapua?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:55:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Rule is yes, work back up....no exceptions .... this will keep you safe.

Also important in your situation ...nearing hunting season ....is accuracy.  

The new brass might print differently .... so if for no other reason than making sure my load performs as accurately and same POI in the new brass .....I would want to test it

Also..... I'd consider where my current accuracy load is relative to min/max .... and if near max ...for sure wouldn't "cheat"

Odds are you are going to be safe in the new brass .......... but insuring you aren't part of the 1/2 percent ... is why you should work back up.   The rule is to help insure your safety.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:57:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Why wouldn't you just get some of both?
Have the load you know and trust since it sounds like you don't have time to risk a test before your trip, and then have some of the different brass ready so you can work it up after hunting season when you get the time.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:33:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why wouldn't you just get some of both?
Have the load you know and trust since it sounds like you don't have time to risk a test before your trip, and then have some of the different brass ready so you can work it up after hunting season when you get the time.
View Quote

This is what I'm thinking about doing and just working with the Lapua after season. I'm down to about 20 cases of winchester now and I need to finalize my load and that's gonna put them at 5X reloaded. I think I should be ok but I'm just second guessing myself. I have been very happy with my Winchester brass but I have been reading that QC has gone down hill as of late.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:10:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Not familiar with .308 Lapua brass but have loaded Lapua 6.5 Grendel brass. The Lapua brass in 6.5 Grendel has a smaller primer flash hole and slightly less  case volume than does Hornady factory brass. With the same loads of primer and powder I get less velocity with the smaller flash holed Lapua compared to the standard flash hole sized Hornady. I'd venture to guess that Lapua .308 has the same smaller flash hole and I bet different case capacity and loads either need to be reworked or at least fired to see any change in point of impact. Probably need to rezero your scope with Lapua brass.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:55:27 PM EDT
[#5]
It takes no time at all to load a handful of rounds from a couple grains under up to charge. Half grain increments would be good enough.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:18:14 PM EDT
[#6]
The key thing is that use what kind of brass you can lay hands on, not wish for.  Lapua is easy to lay hands one, Winchester not so much...

Flash hole size is irrelevant to accuracy potential of a cartridge or the velocities that can be generated.  It is the internal case volume that  affects things like velocity potential. Just go look at the all the accurate cartridges....small flash hole....PPC, BR brass, 308 Palma by Lapua, 6.5x47 by Lapua.  All with small flash holes.

Small rifle primers can touch off just fine.... in the neighborhood of 45 Grains powder....with EXCELLENT results.........
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:02:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Let's say if your current load is 1 or 2 full grains under most published max loads I would not hesitate using it in commercial brass that I was familiar with ie, Remington, Winchester, Federal

I have not used Lapua in .308 Win. so then yes I would very likely pressure test. I go in one full grain increments for anything 30-30 case size and up.

No matter what I did I would still range test before using to hunt with.

Just went through this with my .308 My current load uses Varget. I have none. It also uses 150gr Hornady SST. I have too few to mess with a new load. So I loaded 150gr Sierra with their "accuracy" load. They shoot good and my old load shoots close enough to the same POI that I can use either without changing the scope adjustment.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:51:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Winchester .308 brass has the highest internal capacity of any on the market. Switching to another brand case automatically calls for a reduction in charge weight because of this. Lapua brass is very tough and withstands higher pressures better than any other. Drop your charge 1.0 whole grain at a minimum and work up.

It would help if you posted the bullet brand, weight and type, powder charge and primer used. Generic "what ifs" are too vague to respond to in general. Some people use loads that make me wince, usually citing a Speer manual printed in the 70's as their reloading data. Without discussing specifics it's impossible to give you any good suggestions.  

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:41:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 5:21:10 AM EDT
[#10]
It all depends on the purpose of the ammo I'm making and how close it is to max charge.

I'll churn out 2k 5.56 with some cheap projectiles with mixed head stamps.  Hunting?  Same head stamp,  same year (if marked).  

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:51:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the reply guys. I'm using the Barnes LRX 175gr. It's a long pill and I'm compressing some powder. I've been reading up on some of the different brasses and just like others have said Lapua seems to have a smaller case volume. Not good for what I'm running. I'm pushing this load pretty hot right now. I'm at 43.5 grains of Varget and not seeing any pressure signs and I'm getting the velocity that I'm wanting as well as the accuracy. Locally I only have Nosler and Norma brass so if I went with Lapua it would have to be ordered.

James I'll shoot you an email right now. I might just pick up some brass from you!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top