Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2014 5:11:24 PM EDT
Anyone know where to find boxer primers and brass to reload for these? im kinda new to reloading and can't seem to find them. Also my speer reloading manual docent seem to have any reload info on it and I hear hornady doesn't either (they say use a .308 bullet i guess or hornady), so is there any reliable reloading books with the measurements out there?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:26:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I think PPU and Winchester makes brass.  They use Large Rifle primers which I can get at the LGS. 0.308" diameter bullets will work, but not quite as precise as the proper 0.311" bullets, though if the firearm is milsurp, the bore is likely to be slightly bigger than .311" (.312-315, usually).
My Lee book has data. ETA: my 1991 Hornady book has data, but uses the 0.308" bullets they had. What powder and bullets do you currently have?

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:34:41 PM EDT
[#2]
don't have the bullets yet trying to find the right ones preferably spbt 200grain? maybe? don't have powder cause i don't have book. There isn't a whole lot of stuff in stock anywhere for reloading this it seems like....
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:44:49 PM EDT
[#3]
What rifle are you loading for and what is your goal? I'm assuming Mosin Nagant and plinking.
I'd try to find IMR4064 or H4895, and 150 - 180gr bullet of any lead core construction. I'm of the opinion that a safe 308 Win. load oughta be safe in a 7.62x54R since the latter is slightly bigger and usually has a more generous chamber.

Another option is "The Load": 13gr of Red Dot (pistol powder, be very careful) and ~165gr gaschecked cast lead bullet (I'm not sure where/if you can buy these) which should yield about 1600fps. Fairly soft, fairly quiet, and with a bluntfaced bullet, can still pack a wallop.
http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:02:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Yea mosin for plinking although I would like to try and hunt deer with it (spbt preferred for hunting)
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:55:06 PM EDT
[#5]
if you have a spare 00 buck round, take it and ram it down the barrel chamber to crown... basically poor man's slugging. measure the diameter and you can size your bullets that way

FWIW, my mosin came out to about .3125. If I did load for it, it would be .311 bullets
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:09:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yea mosin for plinking although I would like to try and hunt deer with it (spbt preferred for hunting)
View Quote

I have the Hornady 8th Edition (the 9th is very similar). It has a very good amount of data for the 7.62x54R and it includes load data for .312" bullets. Strangely enough the .312" data was compiled using a M39 Finn which typically have a .3105 to .3115 groove diameter.

I have 3, M39s and all 3 are within that range. I tried .308s in one and had no luck but it was a 150gr. A long heavy .308" would probably do better.

I ended up loading .312" 150gr Hornady Spire Point and their .312" 174gr Round nose. These shoot very good from my M39s as well as my 91-30 that is .313+ groove diameter.

You don't need a boat tail for hunting. I shoot the 174gr Round Nose at 2500 f/s and it is just flat out deadly on deer.

Many use the various .311" bullets also in both M39s and the Russian variants of the Mosin Nagant.  

If you really want to have a great time and not ware your barrel out do your plinking with cast bullets. Cast bullets solve all the barrel size problems associated with the 54Rs and reduce recoil to nil.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:14:09 PM EDT
[#7]
ok but as far as reloading where can i find boxer primers I don't see any online or maybe im not looking hard enough
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:19:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Umm.. Basically, all primers that MOST of us use are boxer. Berdan are the non-reloadable ones (or rather not easily reloadable).

FWIW.. its been a while since I looked but brass isn't cheap. I ended up buying PPU manufactured ammo and figured I would just use that brass for a while to reload. Like many of us, that project never got out of the ammo can but its sitting in my ammo storage closet waiting for retirement.

Quoted:
ok but as far as reloading where can i find boxer primers I don't see any online or maybe im not looking hard enough
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:57:35 PM EDT
[#9]
sorry my bad, like I said Im new to this stuff. I take it they use large rifle primers?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:59:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Umm.. Basically, all primers that MOST of us use are boxer. Berdan are the non-reloadable ones (or rather not easily reloadable).

FWIW.. its been a while since I looked but brass isn't cheap. I ended up buying PPU manufactured ammo and figured I would just use that brass for a while to reload. Like many of us, that project never got out of the ammo can but its sitting in my ammo storage closet waiting for retirement.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

PPU is about the best choice for loading 7.62x54R, with Winchester being a good second choice (mostly because of their higher price).  Either PPU or Win brass will use standard, Large Rifle Boxer primers, the same ones you'd use for .30-'06 or .308.  

Berdan-primed 7.62x54R cases are pretty easy to find, and it's not a really big deal to reload them, but the deprime/prime processes are different, and it takes some specialized equipment to do it.  The Berdan primers for (most of) those cases are readily available, from DAG, Graff's and all of these vendors listed on TulAmmo's web site.  For the longest time, the only REAL reason not to try reloading Berdan-primed cases was a  lack of Berdan primers.  Today you can find the specific size for 7.62x39 and for (most) 7.62x54R, along with most Western European-made "large rifle" brass in lots of places.

I mention "most" 7.62X54R" because not all old Warsaw Pact countries use the same size primer.  But since most do, that "range trash steel stuff" and all the "can't reload it" Berdan brass really is reloadable.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:00:37 PM EDT
[#11]
       Dies

Powder is a little harder to find.  Look for IMR4064, IMR4895, H4895, IMR3031.  Lots of others will work, but those are pretty common medium powders for 30 caliber cartridges.

My Sierra manual (editiion V) has data.

I'm loading 147gn FMJ-BT over IMR4895.

Good luck, and enjoy.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:19:59 PM EDT
[#12]
thanks for the help, so the sierra edition has reload data for the 54r then?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:23:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Recommendation on die set? I was always hesitant to buy Lee for rifle but I have been pretty happy with my Lee 30-30 set. Cheap budget set for cheap budget round.

Good info. thx...

Quoted:
       Dies

Brass

Bullets

Primers

Powder is a little harder to find.  Look for IMR4064, IMR4895, H4895, IMR3031.  Lots of others will work, but those are pretty common medium powders for 30 caliber cartridges.

Good luck, and enjoy.

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:36:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Yer Mosin Bullets

For the Mosin and plinking, and one of the usual suspect powders should do the trick.  Scroll down to 7.62x54R.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:15:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:00:03 AM EDT
[#16]
slug your bore and cast your bullets for the mosin if an odd size. Best method for many of the odd surplus firearms
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:30:01 AM EDT
[#17]
I bet the 123gr bullets commonly used for 7.62x39 loads would really scream out of a 7.62x54 case.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:51:34 AM EDT
[#18]
You do have some lee way loading jacketed bullets.  they have a tough skin for a good grab for the rotation.   If you load cast bullets you should size to 0.002 over the groove size or at least bore size.

As far as i know Winchester 7.62x54r is Wolf brass, boxer primed boxed for them.   I had to break down and buy ppu just for the brass.  boxer primed 7.62x54r can be hard to procure sometimes.  A couple years ago there was a place out west that had a ridiculously low price on Lapua 7.62x54r brass.  I wish I bought some before they ran out.  A few guys on cast boolits snagged a bunch.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:09:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Winchester brass is made in the Czech Republic. I think its S&B. I have some and like it as much as the PPU. I also have Norma, Lapua and S&B.

I think dryflash kind of misread the OP. His "where to find" was really a "what is this ??" he simply did not know what boxer primers were.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:42:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:13:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
No, pretty sure OP doesn't know where to find primers.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the beautiful State of Kansas there is the lovely "Powder Valley", a wonderful place to visit.  You can even go there on line too.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:10:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

In the beautiful State of Kansas there is the lovely "Powder Valley", a wonderful place to visit.  You can even go there on line too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

love that place... 30 minutes from my house!
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:27:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:31:14 AM EDT
[#24]
you can also try Wiedeners for primers. They typically have them in stock and dont be afraid of russian or s&b primers they are all good stuff and affordable.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:11:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Has anyone had personal experience loading 7.62x54R with .308" bullets, and particularly how they did in a Mosin-Nagant rifle?  I'd like to have some kind of flexibility in how I load this caliber, but so far the available .312" bullets are either light or nonexistent.

Also, I"m having trouble figuring out which surplus ammunition uses standard Berdan primers and which uses off-sized ones.  I got a couple of paper-packages of 7.62x54R at a gun show, and while they fired well at the range, their primers aren't .217" in diameter like Russian and most other 7.62X54R rounds are...  I'd like to know what to avoid when I buy surplus ammunition that I plan to reload.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:03:32 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

thanks for the help, so the sierra edition has reload data for the 54r then?
View Quote
My Sierra Edition V manual does.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:19:14 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Recommendation on die set? I was always hesitant to buy Lee for rifle but I have been pretty happy with my Lee 30-30 set. Cheap budget set for cheap budget round.

Good info. thx...

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Good info. thx...

Quoted:

Dies

Brass

Bullets

Primers

Good luck, and enjoy.

I use the Lee dies for 762X54R.  I reload 36 different calibers.  About half of my dies are Lee.  I tend to buy RCBS for calibers I load more frequently, but not always.  The only complaint I have with Lee dies is the locking rings.  At times I've purchased replacement rings, but over the years, I've just gotten used to them.  I still like RCBS (and other's) locking rings better.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:19:28 AM EDT
[#28]
So for 7.62x54R I see the pulls are .310 in diameter, but midway has these, should be plenty good eh? Lapua
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:44:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:44:19 PM EDT
[#30]
System Message
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top