Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2014 1:37:23 AM EDT
How come there is not a company like starline making affordable, quality, bottle neck rifle brass, esspecially for odd calibers?

Why wont starline do this them selves?
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:49:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Prvi Partisan does.

They make a bunch of odd brass, but usually it is sold out as soon as it shows up due to the demand. Just like uncommon calibers that Starline produces.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:59:30 AM EDT
[#2]
For the more unusual things I tend to buy loaded prvi or s&b, they have a lot of the hard to find euro surplus rifle stuff.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:00:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Have you checked Graf's for their brass selection?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:04:16 PM EDT
[#4]
is privi the same quality as starline? I have used thier bullets and shot thier ammo and it seems fine but I havent reloaded too much of their brass too many times. I know that s&b makes good reliable clean ammo but thier rifle brass tends to be on the hard side. I think I lost 90% of my 303 british s&b brass by the fourth firing but my remington and federal are still going strong after five or six
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:27:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
is privi the same quality as starline? I have used thier bullets and shot thier ammo and it seems fine but I havent reloaded too much of their brass too many times. I know that s&b makes good reliable clean ammo but thier rifle brass tends to be on the hard side. I think I lost 90% of my 303 british s&b brass by the fourth firing but my remington and federal are still going strong after five or six
View Quote

If you're looking to improve brass life, you might look to annealing. If you do, you want to do it the right way, using proper temperature measurement, etc. As for PRVI brass, I ahve not had a problem with any of their larger stuff (243, 270, etc.) - I have at least 7 or 8 loadings on 270 brass I have used a collet neck sizing die on for the most part.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:31:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If you're looking to improve brass life, you might look to annealing. If you do, you want to do it the right way, using proper temperature measurement, etc. As for PRVI brass, I ahve not had a problem with any of their larger stuff (243, 270, etc.) - I have at least 7 or 8 loadings on 270 brass I have used a collet neck sizing die on for the most part.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do anneal. I have one of the ken light turntable style annealers. The issues I am having with the S&B brass isn't neck splits but case head speration way before other brands seperate (this is in the 303) I know that FL sizing 303 will shorten case life greatly but it seems like the S&B always fails first. By the way I have some privi 303 brass as it turns out and none of it has failed yet. All of my 303 cases are in their fourth or fifth firing.

I think I might give Privi a try on som 9.3x62mm brass.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:29:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I do anneal. I have one of the ken light turntable style annealers. The issues I am having with the S&B brass isn't neck splits but case head speration way before other brands seperate (this is in the 303) I know that FL sizing 303 will shorten case life greatly but it seems like the S&B always fails first. By the way I have some privi 303 brass as it turns out and none of it has failed yet. All of my 303 cases are in their fourth or fifth firing.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you have one of these?

Hornady Lock-N-Load Headspace Gage 5 Bushing Set with Comparator
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:16:50 AM EDT
[#8]
If you are getting multiple cycles on .303 in an SMLE, you are to be congratulated!

That takes attention to the details on the nuance of SMLE chambers.

If the issue is case head separation in the SMLE, it sounds like you already have things under control and the only thing left is the difference in those batches of brass. Not much one can do about the state of that brass down there but to manage how much it gets worked, and you have done this from the sound of it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:58:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you have one of these?

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/479/479704.jpg

Hornady Lock-N-Load Headspace Gage 5 Bushing Set with Comparator

Would the correct bushing be C for "7.62x39 Brit"?

I love my comparator, but they don't have bushings for many calibers.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:32:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
How come there is not a company like starline making affordable, quality, bottle neck rifle brass, esspecially for odd calibers?

Why wont starline do this them selves?
View Quote

The equipment to draw brass is very expensive. The dies are also very expensive. Also can be a pain in the ass to retool a machine for another case so they need to run a lot of them to be profitable. You can quickly run up a seven figure tab setting up to make brass cases.

http://www.waterburyfarrel.com/ammo-equipment/case-manufacturing
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top