Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/19/2014 7:55:00 PM EDT
Are Hi Tech or powder coated bullets safe to shoot in polygonal rifled barrels?

Want to do a 8 inch 300 BO but keep running into Polygonal rifling in barrels that aren't $250+...Missouri Cast Bullet Company is showing Hi Tech coated 245gn 308 bullets available at $40/250.  This an acceptable price point to me to make 300 BO sub's but don't know if  the coating will be GTG with any rifling type.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:31:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, they're Glockable as are dry-lubed cast bullets from other companies. Load to cast bullet specs.

Hi-Tek is supposedly a 2nd generation dry lube.

When Precision bullets first introduced their dry-lubed bullets back in the 90's I literally shot tens of thousands of them through my Glocks with no issues.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:44:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Other companies?  Sorry maybe google fun is weak, could you share?
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:49:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 4:40:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I know Black Bullets Int. are now using the hi-tek coating, as are Bayou Bullets (local guys called LNL bullets use the bayou method).

No idea on .300 BO offerings, but the pistol calibers using the hi-tek coating are GTG out of poly-rifled barrels.

I use coated bullets for all my pistol competition ammo, and love them.  A bit smokier than plated or FMJ, but very clean on the bore, even after hundreds to over a thousand rounds, and the lower price means more trigger time.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:36:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Missouri Bullet Company - .300 BLK bullets

.300 Blackout - Hi-Tek

#309245BLK
.309 Diameter
245 Grain RNFP
Brinell 20
For Subsonic Work
Hi-Tek 2-Extreme Coating from J&M Specialized Products P/L
Color may vary
Price per box of 250
View Quote

I'm currently building a .300 BLK pistol with an 8.5" barrel. These look very promising.
Thanks for mentioning them.

Looks like I found a source for reloading my Glock 22's
Bayou Bullets - HI-TEK SuperCoat Bullets - .40/10mm 180gn 1000ct
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 7:28:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Missouri Bullet Company - .300 BLK bullets
http://www.missouribullet.com/cw3/assets/product_expanded/coated_blackout.jpg
.300 Blackout - Hi-Tek

#309245BLK
.309 Diameter
245 Grain RNFP
Brinell 20
For Subsonic Work
Hi-Tek 2-Extreme Coating from J&M Specialized Products P/L
Color may vary
Price per box of 250

I'm currently building a .300 BLK pistol with an 8.5" barrel. These look very promising.
Thanks for mentioning them.

Looks like I found a source for reloading my Glock 22's
Bayou Bullets - HI-TEK SuperCoat Bullets - .40/10mm 180gn 1000ct
http://cdn3.bigcommerce.com/s-jqlmm51h/products/283/images/865/180tcg_Red_Copper__00970.1405126396.1280.1280.png?c=2

Any word on whether these will lead up a sealed can?
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:51:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Used their contact form and sent this email:
Am looking at the #309245BLK .309 Diameter 245 Grain RNFP for use in an AR15 pistol with a 7.5 barrel in .300 BLK.

Got a few questions:

Do you have any recommended or starting loads for these in .300 BLK?
Would these bullets lead up a suppressor if I get one?

Thank you for your time,

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:03:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bayou Bullets
Precision Bullets
The Blue Bullets
Black Bullets International
Gateway Bullets
Eggleston Munitions LLC

And I'm sure there are others.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:06:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't have a supressor but I think I can answer your question. I have recovered many of the coated bullets and they retain nearly 100% of the coating even after pent rating through several inches of wood. I don't think they would cause any problems with a supressor.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:21:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I just ran some Ares polymer coated projectiles through my G17 and G35.

The 9mm, 147gr polymer were 50-80 fps faster than 147gr plated with identical load and OAL in a G17.

I have 180gr polymer .40sw but I have yet to test them against 180gr plated.

With about 100rds of polymer coated through each gun I have not noticed any build up in the barrel.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:54:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 12:22:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a liberty Mystic 9mm can...will get the stuff ordered and some before and after pictures to check for leading in the can.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:38:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have a liberty Mystic 9mm can...will get the stuff ordered and some before and after pictures to check for leading in the can.
View Quote

Awesome, look forward to your results!
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:04:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Used their contact form and sent this email:
Am looking at the #309245BLK .309 Diameter 245 Grain RNFP for use in an AR15 pistol with a 7.5 barrel in .300 BLK.

Got a few questions:

Do you have any recommended or starting loads for these in .300 BLK?
Would these bullets lead up a suppressor if I get one?

Thank you for your time,

Got this email from them this AM.

Sent: Monday, September 22, 2014 7:56 AM
To: wganz
Subject: Re: Contact Us Form Submission

On 09/20/2014 07:49 PM, wganz wrote:
<Snip/> see above for what I asked them.

10.5 grains of 1680 with COL of 2.05" is a good starter.

They will not lead your suppressor.

Thank you.

Brad

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:56:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I just ran some Ares polymer coated projectiles through my G17 and G35.

The 9mm, 147gr polymer were 50-80 fps faster than 147gr plated with identical load and OAL in a G17.

I have 180gr polymer .40sw but I have yet to test them against 180gr plated.

With about 100rds of polymer coated through each gun I have not noticed any build up in the barrel.
View Quote

Unfortunately for those of us in the US, Ares bullets (made in Slovakia) don't seem to be available here.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 11:41:52 PM EDT
[#16]
They are expensive but you can get them from the Canadian dealer out of Montreal. I only bought 250 each of the calibers I wanted to test but they had 1000 and 2000 rd boxes for sale.

http://www.crafm.com/reloading/bullets.html
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 1:22:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Bayou Bullets
Precision Bullets
The Blue Bullets
Gateway Bullets
Eggleston Munitions LLC

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bayou Bullets
Precision Bullets
The Blue Bullets
Gateway Bullets
Eggleston Munitions LLC

Checked them all, only Missouri offers 308 round suitable for 300 BLK.   Glad at least someone does, just rather have options.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 5:03:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Upper receiver built and test fired with 60 Remington 220gn subsonic rounds last weekend.  I ordered 750 of the coated 245gn from Missouri Bullet Company and 250 of their 165gn coated bullets to play with for a heavier super sonic round.  

I will be making another 100 or so 208gn Amax rounds tonight and shoot them this weekend.  I will post pictures of the baffels before and after I clean it, hope to have the cast bullets by next week.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 8:12:15 PM EDT
[#19]
How is the accuracy of the Hi Tech or powder coated bullets out of the Glock polygon barrels?
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 9:04:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 9:18:33 PM EDT
[#21]
this is on my winter to do list, picked up a 144 gr mold to try with HiTech coating if everything works out , plan on having a set of molds cut for the Magma Bullet Master
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 9:28:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Most reports - at least of the non coated versions of these bullets - state that these bullets are horribly inaccurate. I'd certainly like to see some information to the contrary, but until then I'll stick to 208 hornady bthp blems for sub plinkers.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 11:01:27 PM EDT
[#23]
I'll be honest, got to loading some of these up, and the coating is pretty spotty. I'll get some pics up later, but on the bullets I've got, there's a good bit of exposed lead. As probably expected, you MUST  bell out the case mouth to get these to seat without carving off the coating (so you'll need a die to do that belling). Just had the chance to pop off a few I loaded up this evening, around 9.0 grains of IMR 4227, and seated like a SWC (about a fingernail's thickness from the case mouth to the diameter change on the bullet). This load functioned fine in my 10.5" pistol with suppressor, didn't get a chance to put it through the carbine. Will report on velocity and accuracy when I get the chance.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 1:05:10 AM EDT
[#24]
I've shot coated bullets for years, but always in pistols. How fast can you expect to push these newer coated bullets in a rifle before there's an expected issue?
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 7:35:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I've shot coated bullets for years, but always in pistols. How fast can you expect to push these newer coated bullets in a rifle before there's an expected issue?
View Quote

The 300 blk bullets are for subsonics - they'll always be under 1100 fps.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 2:36:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'll be honest, got to loading some of these up, and the coating is pretty spotty. I'll get some pics up later, but on the bullets I've got, there's a good bit of exposed lead. As probably expected, you MUST  bell out the case mouth to get these to seat without carving off the coating (so you'll need a die to do that belling). Just had the chance to pop off a few I loaded up this evening, around 9.0 grains of IMR 4227, and seated like a SWC (about a fingernail's thickness from the case mouth to the diameter change on the bullet). This load functioned fine in my 10.5" pistol with suppressor, didn't get a chance to put it through the carbine. Will report on velocity and accuracy when I get the chance.
View Quote

What OAL did you use?
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 3:44:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

What OAL did you use?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What OAL did you use?

I didn't measure them outright - I will when I get home tonight. I just seated until there was about a fingernail thickness of distance from the case mouth the last sharp diameter step before the ogive. Fed fine.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 5:36:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Did you use an M die to open the case mouth a little?

Would appreciate the measurement, still waiting on my delivery.  Will get pictures up tonight of the Mystic baffles after all FMJ shots.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 11:29:34 AM EDT
[#29]
These pictures are from 60 rounds Remington 220gn subs and 72 rounds of 208gn reloads.  Can was factory new prior to these rounds, shots were done at a slow rate.

Not sure what is going on with this build up, came right off when I touched with an exacto knife.

MBC coated rounds did come in yesterday, I have duty this weekend so I probably won't get a chance to play with them until next weekend.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 11:38:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Did you use an M die to open the case mouth a little?

Would appreciate the measurement, still waiting on my delivery.  Will get pictures up tonight of the Mystic baffles after all FMJ shots.
View Quote

Lee universal expander, but yeah, you'll get shaved lead/coating if you don't. Sorry I haven't had the chance to get that measurement, totally forgot last night!
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:32:23 AM EDT
[#31]
The COAL I used was 2.135"
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:04:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Thanks, got the Lee universal die ordered and should be making rounds this coming weekend.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 2:28:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Did some shooting this weekend with the MBC 245gn.

Tula KVB223 primer
10.7gn of IMR 4198
PMC resized brass (checked neck thickness all showed at 0.11)
Loaded to 2.105
Trimmed to length with Giraud trimmer
Belled case mouth with Lee expander
Medium crimp with Lee FCD

Rounds stabilized and made nice round holes, no chronograph but were going super sonic through the Mystic once stabilization was verified.

10.6gn of IMR 4198 kept the round subsonic.  

Function was not 100% reliable, would get inconsistent FTF, round would start up the ramp but would get caught on the magazine feed lips, not sure what mess with on that one.

I fired 54 rounds of the 245gn MBC coated rounds, during clean up I did note some lead build up on the muzzle right where the rifling is.  I will check the Mystic tonight to see how it faired.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 8:26:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Did some shooting this weekend with the MBC 245gn.

Tula KVB223 primer
10.7gn of IMR 4198
PMC resized brass (checked neck thickness all showed at 0.11)
Loaded to 2.105
Trimmed to length with Giraud trimmer
Belled case mouth with Lee expander
Medium crimp with Lee FCD

Rounds stabilized and made nice round holes, no chronograph but were going super sonic through the Mystic once stabilization was verified.

10.6gn of IMR 4198 kept the round subsonic.  

Function was not 100% reliable, would get inconsistent FTF, round would start up the ramp but would get caught on the magazine feed lips, not sure what mess with on that one.

I fired 54 rounds of the 245gn MBC coated rounds, during clean up I did note some lead build up on the muzzle right where the rifling is.  I will check the Mystic tonight to see how it faired.
View Quote

Haven't used that powder combo before I can load some up to that COL and see if they function for me using IMR 4227 or the last few grains of AA1680 I have.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 1:40:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
How is the accuracy of the Hi Tech or powder coated bullets out of the Glock polygon barrels?
View Quote

I've always had excellent accuracy. Using Precision Bullets' 124gr RN and VV N320 (can't remember the load) I used to put FBI "Q" targets out at 15 yards and put 100 or so rounds through them. left a nice hole about 4-5" in diameter COM.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 1:41:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Even with the Lee expander I am wondering if I need a larger neck expander.  Seating these bullets isn't smooth and some are visible not getting seated straight in neck.  Might pull a few after seating and see what the before and after sizes are, curious if the neck is swaging the bullets down a bit.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 6:53:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Box o' bullets:

Typical bullet before seating:

Pre-seating bullet diameter: 0.3088" (remarkably consistent around the bullet)
Pre-seating case neck OD: 0.3298" (one spot, marked for consistent measurement)
Belled with Lee tool to 0.3342" (about 0.005" of bell) allows the bullet to sit in the case mouth on its own easily:

Notice that the bullet is not well aligned with the case. After seating, runout from the case head with the face of the head as a secondary datum (used setup in lathe trimmer) was 0.002", which is perfectly acceptable.

Bullet seated to Col 2.135", leaving just a smidgen of the step above the case mouth:

Crimped with Lee taper crimp die to remove bell, case mouth OD 0.3332" (~0.0034" of neck tension), then pulled with RCBS collet puller:

Pulled bullet:

The pulled bullet had no visible damage to the polymer coating. There was no measurable difference in diameter in the bullet after seating and pulling. These function just fine in my AR pistol with pistol length gas system with IMR 4227 and AA1680. Haven't tried them extensively enough in my carbine yet to say whether the gas system length might have an effect.

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 2:02:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Thanks for the pictures Rocket.  I am planning on loading up some more rounds tonight after work.  I really want to get a good sample size before I post pictures of the baffles, going to shoot 250 rounds before posting pictures of the baffles.  These are all being loaded single stage so making the rounds is taking longer to complete.

I did get a couple of rounds where the coating didn't coat in the lube grooves, this may account for the lead that was noticed on the crown.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:11:05 PM EDT
[#39]
I coat my own with HI-TEK. They work great, super accurate no smoke or messy lubes to gum things up. AND no copper fouling.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:44:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Some of the brass I measured had low of .3275, once the bullet was seated in came in line with the numbers you listed above.  Pulled a couple of rounds after seating and the coating was intact just a little shiner on the high points.

Did end up with alignment sleeve crimping a bullet into the first lube groove last night.  Felt the same pressure a couple other times, backed off and touched the sleeve as I began to seat the bullet and didn't have the same issue.  Wondering if the sleeve is catching in the die body a little bit.

75 rounds of 10.5gn IMR 4198, should be going to the desert and making brass out of them tonight.  Still have about 125 more to go before I tear the Mystic apart.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 5:14:33 PM EDT
[#41]
This is after 262 rounds of the MBC Hi Tech coated rounds.  Took over night soaking in oil to get the can to break free, was not a fun chore to get the core out.

The can only has grey and black, anything you see that is shiny is not coming from the can itself.

This is what the crown looked like:

Mount adapter:

Inside the expansion chamber:

Baffles:

This is the inside of the adapter after trying to scrape it down a bit.  

Link Posted: 11/9/2014 8:50:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 9:22:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Tried oil, brass brush, exacto knives but that was about as good as it got.  

The baffles cleaned up with oil and a brush, didn't come out perfect but the big junks came off.  Was going to keep shooting without cleaning but after the effort to get the stack out went ahead and cleaned it.

So far that is all IMR 4198, haven't tried any other powder.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 12:11:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Tried oil, brass brush, exacto knives but that was about as good as it got.  

The baffles cleaned up with oil and a brush, didn't come out perfect but the big junks came off.  Was going to keep shooting without cleaning but after the effort to get the stack out went ahead and cleaned it.

So far that is all IMR 4198, haven't tried any other powder.
View Quote

So I guess the claim that it doesn't lead a suppressor is bogus, unless that was somehow all carbon buildup
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 11:52:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Yea I bought a crapload thinking they would be great for suppressed loads.  I tested 12 rounds of .45 acp I loaded yesterday.  While not quite as bad as uncoated lead I will be selling them all.  They are still dirty and I can see lead residue on my glock 21 mag from only those 12 rounds.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 11:54:27 AM EDT
[#46]
thanks for the pics and report, can't say I'm surprised by the result
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 1:04:16 PM EDT
[#47]
The baffle build up was all carbon, nothing shiny in them when I cleaned it.  

Still thinking about why, what appears to be lead, is only in the blast area.  There was a lot of carbon in the first couple of baffles but no shiny build up.  Look at the picture where the I beam support is.

Wonder if I shot a few super sonics after sub's would help burn out any residue left behind.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 11:28:12 AM EDT
[#48]
I contacted MBC about this to see if it might be a bad batch or something, and in the event that it's something that needs more development, offered to run some testing for them (for free) to see if we can develop a way to make them work well. I will post in here, and probably make a new thread as well, if they respond.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 1:38:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Went through my open box of 250, there are some where the coating didn't get into the lube grooves and left bare lead.  Even the ones that are coated aren't coated evenly.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 10:02:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Mine are coated fairly evenly.  They are shaped like regular bullets with no grooves.  I will clean my glock really well then try again but I'm pretty sure they are just way dirtier than fmj.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top