Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2014 7:39:16 PM EDT
1st let me apologize for the vague title, honestly the best I could come up with.

2nd I tried the search bar and never found anything like what I am looking for.

I am totally new to the reloading hobby and have a couple of questions hopefully someone can answer.

• When you sit down to make a run, what data do you capture for future reference. For example: Bullet weight, bullet type, bullet mfg, case length Not needed as you should have trimmed cases to "trimmed to " length, case mfg, # of times case has been reloaded etc etc You left out: powder name, how many grains used. primer type, brand and #, and the date loaded.

• Is there a way to "mark/label" the case that dry media and wet media tumbling will not remove so that you can keep track of how may times that case has been reloaded? No

• And is there any other questions around this same data capturing info that I am forgetting? See above

I appreciate all responses and am eager to learn.

eta, I blew it on this one. I meant to quote OP and fat fingered the Edit button instead. dryflash3
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 7:49:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:41:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a notebook size page I made up, that has all the gritty details, and the bottom has a shot target, that I mark shots with (when doing load dev) and record chrony numbers.
The page is marked with a 'lot number'.
This page goes into a 3ring binder load book.

The smaller label that goes on each box of ammo, has the bullet, powder, date, etc and the 'lot number' so I can trace it back.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:49:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:31:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
1st let me apologize for the vague title, honestly the best I could come up with.

2nd I tried the search bar and never found anything like what I am looking for.

I am totally new to the reloading hobby and have a couple of questions hopefully someone can answer.

• When you sit down to make a run, what data do you capture for future reference. For example: Bullet weight, bullet type, bullet mfg, case length, case mfg, # of times case has been reloaded etc etc

• Is there a way to "mark/label" the case that dry media and wet media tumbling will not remove so that you can keep track of how may times that case has been reloaded?

• And is there any other questions around this same data capturing info that I am forgetting?

I appreciate all responses and am eager to learn.
View Quote

As far as marking cases, I tried a few things with permanent markers on the case heads. Patterns and colors. Nothing really stayed. I tried reapplying after every firing, but it didnt really do much and didnt help. I was hoping there would be more info on this too. Till then, sticking to lots is the way to go.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:01:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I keep an electronic spreadsheet of all my reloading.  Data=date, # loaded, bullet type/wt/mgf, primer, OAL, power and wt.  In general, I don't care how many times a handgun case has been reloaded unless I'm really pushing max loads (then I use new brass).  For rifle, I process once-fired brass separately.  With the second and subsequent loadings I mark each base with a "sharpie" (to separate them from range pick-up) and keep them in cans marked with the number of times reloaded.  Loaded ammo in boxes is always marked (on stickies) with info on bullet, powder, primer, OAL and date loaded.  I do not maintain data on rifle brass trim length (and I never trim handgun brass), but I do keep it within SAAMI specs.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:38:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I keep an electronic spreadsheet of all my reloading.  Data=date, # loaded, bullet type/wt/mgf, primer, OAL, power and wt.  In general, I don't care how many times a handgun case has been reloaded unless I'm really pushing max loads (then I use new brass).  For rifle, I process once-fired brass separately.  With the second and subsequent loadings I mark each base with a "sharpie" (to separate them from range pick-up) and keep them in cans marked with the number of times reloaded.  Loaded ammo in boxes is always marked (on stickies) with info on bullet, powder, primer, OAL and date loaded.  I do not maintain data on rifle brass trim length (and I never trim handgun brass), but I do keep it within SAAMI specs.
View Quote

This is exactly what I am wanting to do, set me up a spreadsheet to capture all the data for each lot that I load up. I figure this way if I have any issues I can narrow it down to a particular lot in question. One question though, the red highlighted portion above is that "loaded weight" as in completely done?
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:53:20 AM EDT
[#7]
I use an old style cloth bound ledger book with non removable/bound pages.  I have added colored stick on tabs for different load.  All load development gets written down, with date, powder type, primer, bullet. OAL  and powder weight.  After shooting I add data and than mark which one will be my pet load for that combination.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:12:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I use an old style cloth bound ledger book with non removable/bound pages.  I have added colored stick on tabs for different load.  All load development gets written down, with date, powder type, primer, bullet. OAL  and powder weight.  After shooting I add data and than mark which one will be my pet load for that combination.
View Quote

Great info. Thank you for the advice.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:55:16 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a pretty extensive Excel spreadsheet I use.  I enter all the std load data everyone has mentioned before, but I also track cost per round and cost of factory equivalent. I know exactly how much I've saved for each session, caliber and overall.  I also track the components I purchase and use, so I have a pretty good idea of what I have on hand components wise.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:38:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Google:
reloading data log printable
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:39:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have a pretty extensive Excel spreadsheet I use.  I enter all the std load data everyone has mentioned before, but I also track cost per round and cost of factory equivalent. I know exactly how much I've saved for each session, caliber and overall. I also track the components I purchase and use, so I have a pretty good idea of what I have on hand components wise.
View Quote

Yes I am a nerd and already do this, complete with interactive graphs and pie charts. Like I said I am a nerd.  I do like the $ per reloaded round compared to factory new round. I will definitely add that info to the spreadsheet that I will be creating from all the info I am receiving from this post. Thank you.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 2:18:36 PM EDT
[#12]
The only thing I keep track of is my precision rifle loads. All that info goes in the rifle log book. Every piece of brass gets marked # of firings and some other indication of load.

.223 is same load for 20 years logged in memory

Pistols is just powder, charge, bullet marked on the sticker inside the ammo boxes.

I keep everything very simple, I use 1 powder for pistol and 1 powder for rifle. The pistols all use the same diameter bullet.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:46:32 PM EDT
[#13]
no need to get fancy with it

I have a medium size notepad where I keep track of all the loads ive worked up

cal.
brass
powder
charge
bullet
primer
OAL
times fired (rifle brass only)

I always trim all my brass to spec so I know its all good to go.
every time I make a batch I create a label for the batch and put it in the plastic case with the loaded rounds that has the above data on it so I know what im grabbing when I go to shoot
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:27:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top