Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2014 9:12:52 AM EDT
If I could get a 6th die into this press, I wouldn't have to do this but figured I would share my new process since I know many of you like to crimp in separate step.

Pass 1:
1. Size in first hole
2. Prime on down stroke

Pass 2:
1. Powder in first hole - I had to remove primer tube completely else the powder measure won't fit. Also, I had to shave a little off the corner of the case feeder pivot so the powder feeder would fit.
2. Powder cop (or lock out in my case) in 2nd hole
3. Bullet feeder die
4. Seat die
5. FCD

I ran about 2000 cases of 9mm in Pass 1. I know many of you have complained about the priming system on LNL. I was one of you until I realized that the secret to getting the primer seated deep was to torque the primer seating plug on with a wrench. Finger tight just not good enough.
I went through all 2000 cases before I began pass 2. I will admit one of the 2000 was missing a primer. The other primers were seated perfectly.

I started loading in Pass 2 but was forced to stop due to time conflict. I will start again when free later in week.  So far, it's going well.

Critiques are welcome as I am still trying to optimize my process.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 10:21:08 AM EDT
[#1]
get rid of the powder cop die, problem solved.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 10:24:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks like you have it about as minimized as possible.  

Is the powder cop/lockout absolutely needed?  If your case with a double charge in it is overfull and spilling onto the shell plate, which is obvious, its really kind of redundant.  Which seating die are you using?  Im assuming Lee FCD?

The only way you could do everything in a single pass would be to eliminate the powder cop/lockout or combine your seat and crimp die into a single station.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 10:27:28 AM EDT
[#3]
I wanted to... BUT, I like the following two benefits of 2 passes:
1. Powder cop/lockout is hugely helpful in tall cases (44mag, 38sp/357). I just can't see it. Paranoid perhaps.
2. Double checking the primers is common for many of us. Worst thing in a progressive is to have a string of cases missing primers.. Powder everywhere.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
get rid of the powder cop die, problem solved.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 10:33:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for input.

See other note on lockout die. If I am using Unique in 45 or 9, I have no problems seeing it. But tall cases, I just don't trust. For Titegroup or similar powder, I can fit a could charges in most cases. I do wish I could remove that step.

For seating die, I use mostly Lee dies for Pistol. Cheap and they came with FCD. For plated bullets (which is what I tend to run), I like the FCD over crimping on seating die.

My biggest wish list item is a feeding/seating die in one step like the new Hornady Rifle feeding system. Doing those two together is fantastic and a huge time saver.

Quoted:
Looks like you have it about as minimized as possible.  

Is the powder cop/lockout absolutely needed?  If your case with a double charge in it is overfull and spilling onto the shell plate, which is obvious, its really kind of redundant.  Which seating die are you using?  Im assuming Lee FCD?

The only way you could do everything in a single pass would be to eliminate the powder cop/lockout or combine your seat and crimp die into a single station.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:05:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Yep, toss the lockout die, my 1050 came with powder checks and they now just sit in the drawer
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:31:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Are you using cast lead bullets? If not seat and crimp with the same die. Keep the powder cop.
I usually crimp with a separate die but really only need to with cast lead.

Of course I hand prime everything sitting on the couch so it takes less time at the press. I have extra die space.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:43:04 AM EDT
[#7]
For me...

Station

1. Resize-deprime (Prime on down stroke...)

2 .Expander

3.Powder Drop

4.Seat (Visual powder check while placing bullet...)

5. Crimp
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:47:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Are you using cast lead bullets? If not seat and crimp with the same die. Keep the powder cop.
I usually crimp with a separate die but really only need to with cast lead.

Of course I hand prime everything sitting on the couch so it takes less time at the press. I have extra die space.

View Quote

No cast but I am using a lot of plated. They tend to need a pretty good crimp. I have no evidence of this but I think the combination of Lee sizing die and Berry's plated is not very good. Some bullets just slide right down. I tend to just toss those cases since there just doesnt seem to be any amount of sizing to fix issue. I may try a different brand of die to find out.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 1:14:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I just crimp to close the bell mouth and maybe another .001" to be sure. Case tension should be enough to hold the bullet in place.

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 1:29:20 PM EDT
[#10]
How many double charges has your cop caught?  What are the conditions that lead to a double charge?

My biggest fear loading handgun on my LNL is a squib that didn't get any powder, or very little.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 1:30:54 PM EDT
[#11]
On my LNL AP I seat and crimp in one die/hole for both 9 and 40.  I check about 10 per 100 randomly by trying to push the bullet into the case then measure. Never had a seating/setback issue.

Edit to add:  
I use plated (mostly), jacketed, and lead.

Stations are:
1. Resize
2. Powder/PTX
3. Powder Cop  (Yes, it has caught low and high powder chrges)
4. Bullet feeder
5. Seat/"crimp"

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 1:40:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
How many double charges has your cop caught?  What are the conditions that lead to a double charge?

My biggest fear loading handgun on my LNL is a squib that didn't get any powder, or very little.
View Quote

I made a double charge by seating a bullet then re-seating for some reason.  I caught that one.

Powder cop has caught both high (not double) and low (light to none) powder charges for me.  I think clumpy/flake powders and static lead to all of those.  Now I clean the powder measure whenever I see any abnormalities starting.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 2:10:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
On my LNL AP I seat and crimp in one die/hole for both 9 and 40.  I check about 10 per 100 randomly by trying to push the bullet into the case then measure. Never had a seating/setback issue.

Edit to add:  

Stations are:
1. Resize
2. Powder/PTX
4. Bullet feeder
5. Seat/"crimp"

View Quote

FCD is more compatible with mixed brass, no?
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 2:13:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Squibs are my biggest fear. Only time I had them were when the Hornady powder measure backs itself out.  Hornady sent me some shims that prevents that. I caught them while loading.

Quoted:

I made a double charge by seating a bullet then re-seating for some reason.  I caught that one.

Powder cop has caught both high (not double) and low (light to none) powder charges for me.  I think clumpy/flake powders and static lead to all of those.  Now I clean the powder measure whenever I see any abnormalities starting.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 2:18:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I just crimp to close the bell mouth and maybe another .001" to be sure. Case tension should be enough to hold the bullet in place.

View Quote

Agreed. However, sometimes I get no tension at all. Bullet drops into powder when loading pistol plated bullets. My guess is Lee sizing die are made for cast? Perhaps that isnt correct but I plan to try another die just to test theory.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 3:16:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

In 15years I have never had a double charge on the L-N-L AP, it is nearly impossible to do. I have caught more than a few very light to empty loads(clumped powder) which is why I keep the powder cop in the rotation.

It is a lot quicker to catch that white ring show itself than to try look down inside every pistol case. I can be looking to grab and orient a new case while observing the ring in the periphery.

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 3:21:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Agreed. However, sometimes I get no tension at all. Bullet drops into powder when loading pistol plated bullets. My guess is Lee sizing die are made for cast? Perhaps that isnt correct but I plan to try another die just to test theory.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have had this with wore out brass, too thin, wont size small enough to make the ID hold the bullet.

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 3:44:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I have had this with wore out brass, too thin, wont size small enough to make the ID hold the bullet.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will check brass thickness next time. Hopefully just this.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 4:17:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

In 15years I have never had a double charge on the L-N-L AP, it is nearly impossible to do. I have caught more than a few very light to empty loads(clumped powder) which is why I keep the powder cop in the rotation.

It is a lot quicker to catch that white ring show itself than to try look down inside every pistol case. I can be looking to grab and orient a new case while observing the ring in the periphery.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That makes sense.  I'm using a case feeder for handgun and hand placing bullets so looking in the case is not a problem.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 5:42:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Same here. If after your initial 2000 rounds you don't have any double charges, ditch the lock-out die.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 7:11:00 PM EDT
[#21]
I will be even more extreme in recommendations. Ditch the powder cop, the FCD and move to a seat/crimp in one station as well as pick up the Hornady dies. You didn't mention what powders your using, if possible change that up to get a better drop. With the Hornady powder measure once it's set I don't get any variations as long as I do my part with consistent lever actions. I also load using True Blue, Silhouette and Titegroup in that order. Haven't tried my CFE Pistol yet but expect the same performance.

I know everyone recommends to seat and crimp in separate steps but it's not really hard to set up. I started on an LNL AP,  as a first time reloader, using the seat/crimp die for 9mm and finally using Titegroup. I defied all the odds with that alleged learning curve.

Pistol is easy to load and sometimes I think it's made unnecessarily difficult. Get the basics down solid and then confidence and speed in your abilities will come.

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 7:30:06 PM EDT
[#22]
You will double-charge on a Hornady AP by simply lowering the ram part way . . . stopping to look at whatever . . . and raising the ram again..

IMO, saying "Well, don't do that" is inadequate.

(EG) An RCBS or Hornady powder check die will not only catch zero/double charges, but will also show you small variations in powder charges as well as low/high trends. A visual check is not likely to reveal those. With the powder cop die you can deal with them or not as they occur.

[After setting the powder cop die to show the correct charge, it's important to check that it detects zero and perhaps double charges correctly before running flat out. Don't ask me how I know that :) ]

Assuming one really wants the bullet feed, the die that is least important should be the FCD. No reason one can't seat and close the bell in one operation without potentially dangerous results.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 7:30:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Hornady recommended the exact same thing when I called them for a recommendation..

From my reading, the FCD is not as dependent on case length as the other crimping methods are. I don't want to sort pistol brass. That would just be a nightmare. Not using it for matches.

Quoted:
I will be even more extreme in recommendations. Ditch the powder cop, the FCD and move to a seat/crimp in one station as well as pick up the Hornady dies. You didn't mention what powders your using, if possible change that up to get a better drop. With the Hornady powder measure once it's set I don't get any variations as long as I do my part with consistent lever actions. I also load using True Blue, Silhouette and Titegroup in that order. Haven't tried my CFE Pistol yet but expect the same performance.

I know everyone recommends to seat and crimp in separate steps but it's not really hard to set up. I started on an LNL AP,  as a first time reloader, using the seat/crimp die for 9mm and finally using Titegroup. I defied all the odds with that alleged learning curve.

Pistol is easy to load and sometimes I think it's made unnecessarily difficult. Get the basics down solid and then confidence and speed in your abilities will come.

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 9:10:30 PM EDT
[#24]
How about this: you have a bullet feeder to speed up the process.  You just lost all the time the bullet feeder is saving you, and added a bunch of time to it.  

So ditch the bullet feeder and get on with life.  

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:43:45 AM EDT
[#25]
I always thought lock out dies and powder cops were kinda pointless on an autoindex press in particular.

I sold the one that came with my Dillons... at a profit somehow.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:35:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Honest question. Why cant you use a seat/crimp die with cast bullets?  I just switched to cast on my 45 acp loads for cost savings.  I loaded 50 test loads in various powder charges.  All fifty ran fine and I have loaded about 200 at my desired charge.  Everything seems normal.

Thanks
Jerry
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 4:05:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
How about this: you have a bullet feeder to speed up the process.  You just lost all the time the bullet feeder is saving you, and added a bunch of time to it.  

View Quote

We are going to ignore this cause the bullet feeder is cool. ;)
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 5:21:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Honest question. Why cant you use a seat/crimp die with cast bullets?  I just switched to cast on my 45 acp loads for cost savings.  I loaded 50 test loads in various powder charges.  All fifty ran fine and I have loaded about 200 at my desired charge.  Everything seems normal.

Thanks
Jerry
View Quote

He isn't using cast bullets so there should be no issue, he is doing it to avoid problems with different case lengths. I mentioned the thing about cast lead; when crimping in the same die with lead bullets you can get shaving of lead. 2 dies you seat fully first then close the mouth so there is no lead shaving.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 5:38:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was hand priming years before I got a bullet feeder so I did it in two steps anyway. Everything at the press is smooth and trouble free, priming elsewhere. But Garret has a point in your case, if you are running 2 passes only so you can use a separate crimp die, you are going slower to use the feeder. I would get rid of the crimp die.
I have several thousand cases for my .40 all from different places, headstamps, # of firings, etc. I have never had a problem with the taper crimp being different from case to case. I use a lot of frangible bullets if the crimp on those is too much they break off at the crimp so I would notice if some were getting overdone.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 6:00:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Thanks
Jerry
View Quote

Nothing wrong with seating/crimping in same die for cast bullets. Have done thousands of MB 200 gr RN this way with no issues and using mixed cases.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 6:41:31 AM EDT
[#31]
As noted, crimping lead results in shavings . I was doing that on 44mag. I will give seat/crimp a try with my plated.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:22:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edit to add:  

Stations are:
1. Resize
2. Powder/PTX
4. Bullet feeder
5. Seat/"crimp"

Resize makes them all the same, Seat/crimp does too.  OAL of the cases is what I watch for in mixed pistol brass.  I try to stick to the usual suspects (Win, Fed, Rem, etc...) and toss russian, african, military, etc
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:34:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Squibs are my biggest fear. Only time I had them were when the Hornady powder measure backs itself out.  Hornady sent me some shims that prevents that. I caught them while loading.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I have only had three squibs, all from one loading session.  I was using a flake powder and presume that static or humidity caused clumping.  I went back to using my powder cop and incorporated better maintenance practices.

That one double charge is when I seated a bullet, let the press down about half way but just didn't think it "felt right."  So I took it back up to "seat it better"...  I immediately realized what I had done - dropped another charge of powder.  Luckily I didn't have my head too far up my ass...  I did have the powder cop in and I did let it go through just to see how high a double pushes the plunger - you can't miss it IF you are watching for it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 5:51:58 PM EDT
[#34]
If you can spare $80, get on Amazon and erase the need for station 6.   Works really well on my Pro 2000 (also using a Hornady bullet feeder).

See Your Charge, no young eyes necessary! Watch the little video while you're there.

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 6:07:05 PM EDT
[#35]
How do you discern say from a 4gr charge and a 9gr charge or a 20gr and 30gr charge?
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 7:00:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
If you can spare $80, get on Amazon and erase the need for station 6.   Works really well on my Pro 2000 (also using a Hornady bullet feeder).

See Your Charge, no young eyes necessary! Watch the little video while you're there.
[/url]
View Quote

Funny you mention this.. I actually went ahead and ordered something like this (but didn't spend that much - yet!).

It won't replace my lock out die but truth is if I can't see it, it don't exist. Almost like Schrodingers cat...

And if it don't work, maybe I will put it in my car for a backup camera.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 7:10:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
How do you discern say from a 4gr charge and a 9gr charge or a 20gr and 30gr charge?
View Quote

Completely agree with this. I think it still helps a little. When loading some powders in 38 special or 44 mag, it's just hard to see it at all. Only protects from squibs. Perhaps if you can angle it right, it may help with approximate charge.

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 7:21:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

The same way you do it using a simple single station press.  Look.  One's going to be filling the case too much or too little.  That's enough to stop the process and cause you to recheck your powder measure or look for bridging problems.  The most important part is it prevents squibs, and makes it obvious when a double charge happens.  

This obviously doesn't take the place of setting a powder measure by multiple charge and weigh cycles until you have repeatably accurate throws, it's to prevent a loader from bunglings due to powder bridging, disruptions, and something coming loose.  I like the "in your face" screen which is hard to miss or ignore.  Specially suitable to my older...most likely dimmer than yours....eyes.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:22:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The same way you do it using a simple single station press.  Look.  One's going to be filling the case too much or too little.  That's enough to stop the process and cause you to recheck your powder measure or look for bridging problems.  The most important part is it prevents squibs, and makes it obvious when a double charge happens.  

This obviously doesn't take the place of setting a powder measure by multiple charge and weigh cycles until you have repeatably accurate throws, it's to prevent a loader from bunglings due to powder bridging, disruptions, and something coming loose.  I like the "in your face" screen which is hard to miss or ignore.  Specially suitable to my older...most likely dimmer than yours....eyes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I do a loading block full single stage I Iook at it from an angle and look at the several charges at once so I can do kind of a side by side comparison to see that they are at all the same level. That's why I was wondering how it works looking straight down into one case, how much difference can be noticed. Would a squib level undercharge be noticed on a low volume charge?
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:57:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

When I do a loading block full single stage I Iook at it from an angle and look at the several charges at once so I can do kind of a side by side comparison to see that they are at all the same level. That's why I was wondering how it works looking straight down into one case, how much difference can be noticed. Would a squib level undercharge be noticed on a low volume charge?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If the camera were mounted at an angle to get the same perspective, one could put a dry erase mark on the monitor where a "proper" charge should fill to.  At least for reference.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:55:05 PM EDT
[#41]
If you watch the video carefully, you will notice that the cases are not straight under during the whole rotation.  You start with seeing the top wall, then the center, then the bottom wall.  I am using both a case feeder and a bullet feeder, (pistol) so I'm watching the whole thing for each case, since that's all there is left to do (the point of it all).  For rifle, I drop a bullet into a Gold Medal Seater, which unlike having to feed bullets into a normal seater, only takes a split second to pause the stroke & drop the bullet in.....so it's back to watching powder charge.

In the video, using a #3 shell plate, I just placed various cases I had within reach, and only the .45 and the .308 actually fit and didn't wobble around.....but I was just demo-ing the concept. It certainly shows what a difference a clean (tumbled viva a wet tumbler & stainless media) interior makes. The .40S&W was tumbled, the .45's were not, the .308 was tumbled, and the .223 was filthy black just back from the range.  But if you look carefully you can even make out the bottom in that little case. (yes, that's why I was going very slow around it....I wanted to see the bottom)  The clean .308 was much easier to see.   I should probably make a another video while in use showing actual powder levels....that would probably demo better..........especially if I leave one empty or mostly empty, and another too full.

As the cases are rotated one after the other, I notice any change in level  as long as I can see inside.........and I can, in the tumbled brass, extremely well.

I offer this only for consideration as a way to get a station back......you all can certainly can ignore it.....as long as you can't make me go back to using mirrors! or powder cops!
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:33:33 AM EDT
[#42]
With a camera monitoring the cases after powder drop, you can see how deep the powder is.  A powder throw is typically going to be either REALLY light, correct, or obviously too much.  This does not help you avoid problems with the powder measure drifting, but with a 9mm case the difference between 4gr and 9gr of powder WILL be visible.  With a larger case the difference between 20gr and 30 gr will also be visible.  The camera lets you do what all the manuals tell you to do: VISUALLY check the powder throw.  It doesn't microscopically verify that every throw is within ± 0.1gr, it only lets you eyeball the throw in spite of the extra press hardware in the way.  A bigger display screen is good, but a small one works too.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:44:43 PM EDT
[#43]
I don't think you are going to go much faster with the bullet feeder, if you are going to split up the sizing/repriming steps with loading. I tried the $28 bullet feeder on my 650 and I didn't save much time at all.

The best time savers I've found is the Dillon RF100 primer filler and the bullet tray for the Dillon strong mount. With the primer feeder I can load the primers up, dump them in the press, dump another 100 in the RF100, hit the button and start loading. The bullet tray puts the bullets very close to the shellplate so placing the bullet is a very small movement.

FWIW

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:20:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/gstrad/Press%20Movies/IMG_1620.jpg
View Quote

Nicely done GWhis, you always seem to have the ergonomics for those of us over 50 in mind... thanks again.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:25:37 AM EDT
[#45]
Might have something to do with how old I am......coming up on 65.  Obviously bottlenecks, painful procedures, dimmer eyes, and horrible ears slant what's most important to me.  Glad I can share a few ideas to help all us old farts.  Thanks for the compliment.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:01:22 PM EDT
[#46]
I had to look up the RF100.. Never heard of it. I am always one to spend some $$ on cool stuff.. but dang, that RF100 is nuts. $320 for either sm or lg? At that price, I would want it to do a bit more than that.

I found that just keeping a handful of primer pickup tubes and just being ready to drop them in feeder tube, I can go pretty fast. You can fill all the pickup tubes while watching TV. Much cheaper option IMHO.

Quoted:
I don't think you are going to go much faster with the bullet feeder, if you are going to split up the sizing/repriming steps with loading. I tried the $28 bullet feeder on my 650 and I didn't save much time at all.

The best time savers I've found is the Dillon RF100 primer filler and the bullet tray for the Dillon strong mount. With the primer feeder I can load the primers up, dump them in the press, dump another 100 in the RF100, hit the button and start loading. The bullet tray puts the bullets very close to the shellplate so placing the bullet is a very small movement.

FWIW

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:32:26 PM EDT
[#47]
djryan13 what you say is true. However I don't own a TV .....
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:50:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Edit to add:  

Stations are:
1. Resize
2. Powder/PTX
4. Bullet feeder
5. Seat/"crimp"

View Quote

this ........ in #5 ..

Hornady Taper and Seat in same station.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top