Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2014 3:08:09 AM EDT
Is there a valid reason to check 9mm brass with a chamber check gauge after resizing but before reloading?

What about running resized but bulged brass through a Lee FCD in order to correct it?

(trying to catch the "dud" cases before they're reloaded)

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 3:54:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Is there a valid reason to check 9mm brass with a chamber check gauge after resizing but before reloading?

What about running resized but bulged brass through a Lee FCD in order to correct it?

View Quote

By "Running through" do you mean to use the Lee Factory crimp die Bulge Buster system, remove the crimp internals and push the case completely through the die?

If so, this will not work with the 9mm die as it's carbide ring is tapered.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 4:18:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

By "Running through" do you mean to use the Lee Factory crimp die Bulge Buster system, remove the crimp internals and push the case completely through the die?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. I'm aware that 9mm cases are tapered.

I'm saying once a resized but bulged case is discovered using the FCD to attempt to size the base down before reloading it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:50:10 AM EDT
[#3]

I meant that the carbide ring itself in the 9MM LFCD is tapered. one cannot push the case all the way through as with the 40 and the 45.

The LFCD will not size the case  any further down the case body than a standard sizing die.  The carbide ring is still a few (K) up from the shell holder.

If you had a straight walled case like the 40 or the 45 you can remove this bulge by pushing the case completely through the LFCD, but you already knew that.

Where is this bulge you speak of and do you have a photo?
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:57:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I run all my brass through a gauge after resizing and before priming. I keep it in bags clean and resized so I just grab it and load.
By checking it before it goes in the bag, I already know there should be no issues when I pull it out to load.

If you are having an issue with the rim or a small bulge in the case that resizing does not fix, try pushing it into the chamber gauge backwards. Don't beat it in there but push it firmly. You will then need something (like a Bic pen) to push it back out. This will repair a small bulge or rough rim problem most times.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:52:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:47:45 AM EDT
[#6]
i never run my finished ammo through a guage after they go through the FCD at the last stage where its located.  it does exactly what its supposed to.  i use it at the last stage after seating. have loaded thousands of 9/40 lead, coated, plated and FMJ with no issues.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:52:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Your barrel can serve as your gage. Simply removing the barrel by field stripping the pistol it can be used at your reloading bench as the gage. After all, isn't it better to test the ammo in the firearm it's intended to work in as opposed to a generic gage?

I doubt a factory crimp die will have any effect on on a bulged case as the bulge is at the base, not in the area being crimped. If the case is bulged enough to be an issue I'd simply chuck it or recycle it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 1:50:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd also say your barrel / chamber is your best gage.

I have loaded many 9mm's even some with cast bullets as large as .360" in diameter and I can't recall ever having a single round fail to chamber or fire. I use a standard carbide RCBS die to size my brass and I don't gage any of it. I may do a plunk test on new development loads but that's it.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:05:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Bulk size on single stage is what I have done in past.. you get a problem case, you'll know it..

Can go barrel or gauge, you decide.. but true test be assembled cartridge in barrel or gauge,, especially is using for some sort of match, then you dont have to worry about bum cartridge screwing up the run for most part.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:19:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I meant that the carbide ring itself in the 9MM LFCD is tapered. one cannot push the case all the way through as with the 40 and the 45.

The LFCD will not size the case  any further down the case body than a standard sizing die.  The carbide ring is still a few (K) up from the shell holder.

If you had a straight walled case like the 40 or the 45 you can remove this bulge by pushing the case completely through the LFCD, but you already knew that.

Where is this bulge you speak of and do you have a photo?
View Quote

If I have a "dud" the bulge is usually just above the case rim...there the brass doesn't get resized.

These might make up 1-3% of a run. The worst is NOrinco brass. Some are USA-made factory +P cases.

Thanks for all the input. I see that I'm not the only person who thinks about this issue.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 11:02:09 AM EDT
[#11]
On a Dillon progressive, for 9, .40, and .45 I have three dedicated toolheads.  They are all set up the same with an Evolution Gun Works/Lee Undersize Die (aka U-die) in station one.  Then the last station is the Lee Factory Crimp Die.

Once I got those two dies, the need to case gage every single round went away.  Now I just case gage the first 5 to 10 off the press at the start of each reloading session.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 11:40:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Just don't pick up Glock shot brass . I also have had trouble figuring out what to do with my 40 and 9 shot from friends glocks as they don't fit into my M&P barrel. I Have the Hornady LNL so I unless I want a debuldger I have to get another single press set up going. maybe in the future...
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 1:31:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:41:59 PM EDT
[#14]
For 9mm I reload range brass from USPSA with a standard die set. I case gauge all the rounds after loading. I get about a 5% reject rate with the gauge. Of the rejects, only a couple may be unusable for practice due to a base bulge or other reason. The other rejects get used for practice. I don't think I have ever had a practice round not chamber and fire.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top