Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 3:51:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Just got back from range with my final test of 147 gr Hornady JHP. 4.2 grains of W -231 seated at 1.1

990 fps from Glock 17 and 1020 fps from 10.5 inch SBR 90 deg at sea level.  Was very satisfactory in the noise dept with the can on.  Cycled all the SBRs we tried it in and is a solid load.

Link Posted: 8/13/2014 4:35:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I shoot lots of 147gr loads suppressed.  I initially started with power pistol but it was really loud.

I've been using 231.  I can't remember offhand the charge and I'm not at home.  I do remember the velocity being up there for 9mm 147gr pistol loads.  I have it written down.  I just know it's probably high pressure so eventually I want something that is more forgiving if I have a slight overcharge etc.

I don't want to use vv powder or power pistol.

I was considering blue dot, aa#7, or unique.  I am open to suggestions.

I would prefer velocity at least 900 fps in a full size pistol but more is better provided it's a safe load.
View Quote

Sorry about your non-preference for VV powders. I get all the reasons but fact is 3.7 of N320 with a 147 of your choice is the absolute best suppressed 9mm load you can shoot.
Clean, accurate, and the quietest SPL you'll put through any can.

I've shot thousands and have not found anything better.

TR
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 4:45:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Loading 3.8 grains of WST with  X-treme 147 RN. You can feel its a little softer than 231.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 4:52:49 PM EDT
[#4]
i just got 1k delta precision fmj. 147rn.
Btw delta shipped next day. Using 6gr of #7 just like the xtreme plated load.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 5:10:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Unique, Silhouette, and Titegroup all fine choices.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 8:51:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 4:36:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 3:00:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

TiteGroup would work very well and 3.5 grains under a 147 will hit your target velocity.
Does work real well, that all I been using for about 7+ year, maybe longer,, at 3.5gr, gets you 2000 loads per bottle if Hodgdon play nice and you dont spill any

It burns really hot, though.
Where do people come up with this comment all the time ??   Anybody have actual pyrometer readings of cylinder temp to prove this compared to other flame temps during combustion ?

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/14/2014 3:34:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 3:35:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 3:35:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 4:01:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 7:50:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

No, never used a temperature measuring device. Don't need to, either. It's obvious, even to the touch. Not saying it's a major problem, but it can be an issue with lead and coated bullets.
View Quote

Its not just you - everyone knows that it burns hotter because we have experienced it.

SBR7-11:  I've followed Titegroup since it was introduced.  As to its HIGH  Nitro content: Hodgdon stated that TG had the highest nitro content: Hodgdon revealed to the press (in at least 2 articles I recall) that it is 37% - the highest of any commercial pistol powder.  

Go look at the MSDS sheet for TG - though be warned:  for double base powders, they typically list a RANGE of nitro content between 20% and 40% WITHOUT specifying the exact amount.  They do this for 2 reasons:  1) trade secret/proprietary info and 2) allows them to tailor a load without doing the MSDS over.  Fact is though, Hodgdon's report of 37% falls within what they list on the MSDS.  

That high nitro content in TG makes a BIG difference - and its noticeable too.  Typical shooters plinking off a bench are probably too slow shooting to notice.  

But I've shot a lot of stages that required 24 to 38 shots in as little as 20 seconds or so.  Titegroup will heat the barrel enough to burn your forearm.  In contrast, the exact same load with a SINGLE BASE powder like N-320 or Solo 1000 won't heat up the pistol nearly as much; and not enough to leave a burn like TG will.

Is this a problem?  No - not in my opinion.  I happen to really like TG and will continue to use and recommend it.  There has been some speculation that maybe - just maybe - TG could wear out pistol barrels quicker due to that extra heat.  But, I have not seen any documented evidence or even annecdotes about that actually happeneing.  

Hodgdon also discussed doing a "ejecta test" on TG during pre-introduction testing in .40 cal.  IIRC, they lined the indoor range floor with a roll of butcher paper, fired a bunch of rounds downrange, then measured all that had fallen to the floor (usually this includes some unburnt powder, along with burnt powder and fouling).  TG had the LOWEST amount of ejecta of the powders they had tested. The load was a hotter .40 cal load, so it probably made a peak pressure close to 35,000 PSI.  Funny thing is, TG also works well in 38 and 45 where pressures are closer to 15,000 to 20,000 PSI.

If you can find it, buy it and use it.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top