Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2014 6:05:07 PM EDT
Hey so I just ordered me a new Bcm 14.5 midi BFH with a perm. attatched surefire mb556k muzzle brake. When I got my first 14.5 midi I read that it should be broken in on M855 or something hot like that so I can run light stuff if I wanted. I do not have any factory ammo any more since I have been reloading and right now I load light 55gr fmjbt on top of 23 grain of varget/win 748 and it is really light. So do I need to load some break in rounds so to speak at a little hotter spec than what I am normally shooting or just try out what I already have loaded? I already have around 800 loaded at 23 grains. I will also be using an H buffer. And one more thing, I usually just get the FSC 556 because I know it works so how much better if any at all will the surefire break be? Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:27:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't believe in "breaking in a barrel".
Just shoot what you have.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:27:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:32:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Well the theory was that the short dwell time of the gas system/shorter barrel MAY require a slight break in with hotter ammo. With the 14.5 midi I have now, when I first shot it I tried PMC bronze 223 then after the break in I shot it again and it definatly felt softer when it was brand new.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:38:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:59:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
how much better if any at all will the surefire break be? Thanks.
View Quote

It'll be very loud, but the MB556K shoots pretty flat.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:03:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I like load. Flat is what Im after but loud does not detour me from a brake. Guns are loud and I like to piss people off at the local range. They are usually pricks anyway (before I get there).

That belongs in General Discussion.  I advise against posts like this in the Reloading forum.  Please read the Conduct Code.   AeroE

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:24:50 PM EDT
[#7]
The standard load for 55 grain is 25 gr of h335,so you have a way to go .
But if the load is shooting the way you want , go for it !!!!
The standard load will give you same zero as the M193 or the Miltitary 55 gr load, but shoot what
works good for your rifle.......
Sounds loud , are you using a muzzle break or the standard flash suppressor ??
Load low and see what you want to do with your rifle.. As far as break in,your barrel it
is not being used for any bench rest matches.Shoot whatever you want but be sure
to clean that barrel down to bear metal and run a couple of patches of good gun oil, shoot as many rounds as you want
clean again down to bear metal then leave some good lube in your barrel like Hoppes gun oil or
Butches gun oil.Clean after every shooting session then run a couple of patches of quality gun oil.
Now your barrel is broken in !!!
Enjoy
John
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:29:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I will try 25. In the last post I said I like load, I meant I like loud.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:33:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like load. Flat is what Im after but loud does not detour me from a brake. Guns are loud and I like to piss people off at the local range. They are usually pricks anyway (before I get there).
View Quote

This is why so many ranges closed and alot of AR's get a bad rep.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:39:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Guns are loud and I like to piss people off at the local range. They are usually pricks anyway (before I get there).
View Quote

Stay klassy.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:41:23 PM EDT
[#11]
If ars get a bad rep because they are loud then the people that are offended by them are stupid and shouldnt own guns to begin with. Im not the guy who shows up at a range and does continuous mag dumps till i run out of ammo. There are a lot of pompus assholes in the gun world and same goes for gun shop employees. I cant stand these types of people. I was kind of joking about liking to piss people off but to the pricks at the range who whine and cry about my rifle being too loud can suck my genitals.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 2:38:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Well the theory was that the short dwell time of the gas system/shorter barrel MAY require a slight break in with hotter ammo. ...
View Quote

Can you explain this to me in greater detail. I think I am missing something.

FWIW, I just lube new ARs with Mobile1 for the first 100-200 rounds. After that it is BreakFree.

As for barrel break-in in general: How to break in a barrel

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:25:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Ok so I just looked up your barrel from this web site
bravocompanyusa.com
You have no need to break-in you barrel because it is cold hammer forged.
Barrel break-in is to remove burrs caused by pushing or dragging a metal object through your barrel to make rifling groves.
Cold hammer forged barrels aren't made that way and they don't have burrs in the rifling.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 7:32:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 7:32:26 AM EDT
[#15]
See my post above.  AeroE
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top