Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2014 6:02:19 PM EDT
Has anyone ever tested the accuracy of bullet 2nds to first run ones?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:21:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, and they sometimes are as accurate as first runs, sometimes, not
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:24:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:34:08 PM EDT
[#3]
The blems I got from midway usa were the hornady vmax/zmax bullets. Only problem was the tip was discolored. Shoot just fine.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:52:06 PM EDT
[#4]
On the other hand the 500 blemish 175 BTHP bullets (assuming sierra) I got from Grafs are all over the place with a .040 spread when measured from base to wherever my Sinclair gauge is intersecting the ogive.

Fired 50 last weekend testing some powder levels and they for the most part performed well but this was before I sorted them.  Will give them another go soon.

Interestingly enough I measured a box of factory firsts and they had a handful of bullets that mimicked the blems.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:12:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
On the other hand the 500 blemish 175 BTHP bullets (assuming sierra) I got from Grafs are all over the place with a .040 spread when measured from base to wherever my Sinclair gauge is intersecting the ogive.

Fired 50 last weekend testing some powder levels and they for the most part performed well but this was before I sorted them.  Will give them another go soon.

Interestingly enough I measured a box of factory firsts and they had a handful of bullets that mimicked the blems.
View Quote

So in other words you only have experiance with unknown factory blems?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:23:44 AM EDT
[#6]
I have been using ones from jake at rocky mountain reloading.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:26:14 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually these are the first seconds I've ever purchased.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:54:46 AM EDT
[#8]
I have shot quite a few Sierra 2nds/blems and some unknown blems (pretty sure they are Hornady but maybe not). They are almost always as accurate as off the shelf bullets. I have yet to see more than a 1/2 inch wider 5 shot group with the blems.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:59:26 AM EDT
[#9]
I bought Sierra 168 SMK's from the factory and although it took time I seperated them by ogive measurment and they did fine now the Nosler 168 CC 2nds I got from the pro shop I did nothing with and they shot just as good as the high dollar one's but have not had luck getting those
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:15:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I bought Sierra 168 SMK's from the factory and although it took time I seperated them by ogive measurment and they did fine now the Nosler 168 CC 2nds I got from the pro shop I did nothing with and they shot just as good as the high dollar one's but have not had luck getting those
View Quote

Those nosler blems/2nds seem to have a high SD in weight. Lengths are very consistent. For example, I just bought 300 of the 190 gr 30 cal they had for like $18/100... weight was +/-0.15 gr. The 1st rate stuff has a SD below .05gr, so is almost undetectable. The 2nds shoot better than I can.

This is from a guy that bought 5k of the 168 gr 30 cal pills w/ cann. Way better than M80 pulldown.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:13:12 AM EDT
[#11]
I wish I could find some 2nds from Nosler

Update: I just looked on the 2nds site and they have .223 69gr CC's onsale, to bad I already got 2K from PV but only $25 difference so I don't feel to bad
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:54:42 AM EDT
[#12]
These guys carry Nosler 2nds, I've gotten great service and accuracy:

http://www.shootersproshop.com/shooters-pro-shop/reloading/bullets.html
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:54:17 AM EDT
[#13]
I am not a 'true' Nosler fan, but I use their blems a LOT.  For my shooting they work just fine and the prices are good.  I watch their site and order when I have extra money for reloading.  I currently have a few thousand 40cal/10mm bullets, 223 bullets, 6mm bullets 30 cal bullets and 338 cal bullets.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:31:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Just Luv SPS and their 2nds & over runs. last couple years, I have really stocked up on Noslers; my bench shelves are filled with blk & gold boxes.  I usually buy over runs but have picked up bags of 165 grain accubonds .308 cal for $15/bag.  They shoot the same as the real deal from sports shop.  In fact I bought 800 of those seconds about 2 years back. and have compared them to store bought 165s and they shoot the same.   WE have an Indian Village a couple miles from my place and I know all those guys.  So Indians always have booze, but usually only have a couple shells on their window ledge for their ole gun. Last fall the caribou expanded their range and were migrating across our road and swimming the Yukon on their way to Canada. Imagine that, caribou in their yards, and no ammo.  No joke, I gave them a couple hundred rounds of those Nosler 165 accubond seconds and they must have killed 50-75 bou, their yards looked like a meat market. I even got them Indians picking up their brass, ha ha; Indians are throw away; they don't save anything, ha ha.  But those Nosler 2nds are the way to go, at least the 165 grain .308s.

I've also killed a few moose with 210 nosler partitions in my 338 federal; they were over runs.   No joke, I check out their site maybe twice a week and usually order 10 boxes of over runs at a time, around $212 total, they charge 12 bucks shipping whatever you get.  I got some 170 grain RN for a 30-30 I have; got to load them up when I got time.

I've always been a Nosler Partition kind of guy, I have over 150, 50 ct boxes of partitions on my shelf, most from SPS, good people. I figure when the day comes they stop selling lead bullets here in the USA, my grandkids will still be knocking moose, caribou, and bear down with all the partitions I have squirrled away.

I asked Barnes why they didn't have factory seconds and they said due to the fact their bullets were copper, when they had seconds, they didn't shoot well enough to sell, HMMMM?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:00:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:10:38 PM EDT
[#16]
The nice thing about blems besides their price is that when you pull the trigger your mind is saying (they are blems so relax and let them fly)
so you shoot better thinking it is the blems if your goup is lousy it's the bullets fault.
Then you check your spotting scope and find tight groups !!!
All the Nosler and Hornady Blems really shoot,mostly the blems are simply cosmetic and your barrel will never know
the difference !!
Later
John
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:42:18 AM EDT
[#17]
I also shoot the factory seconds / pulled SMK bullets. I use the 69SMK and 175SMK and was able to purchase them for $175 per thousand a couple years ago. When RMR has had the 175 SMK recently the price is closer to $250 per thousand but the value is there. If I was shooting benchrest I probably would not use these bullets, but for FClass I use them. Both the types I use are still shooting MOA or better out to 600yds.Beyond that I am shooting steel but I see no significant disadvantage in using them. YMMV
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:05:13 AM EDT
[#18]
I have been using Nosler 64 gr. BSB seconds from Nosler's Shooters Pro Shop with good results. They appear to shoot the same as number 1 premiums.  About the only difference I can see is that some of the 2nds have a little bit of lead protruding from the tip. Surprisingly, it doesn't seem to effect accuracy

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:36:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Update: I just looked on the 2nds site and they have .223 69gr CC's onsale, to bad I already got 2K from PV but only $25 difference so I don't feel to bad
View Quote

What is the "2nds site"?  My google search didn't get me anywhere.
Thanks
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 9:26:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Thanks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

"Shooter's Pro Shop"

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 12:37:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Where do you guys get your Sierra .223 seconds? Mostly interested in 65gk. But others will do as well.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 12:45:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Where do you guys get your Sierra .223 seconds? Mostly interested in 65gk. But others will do as well.
View Quote

Sierra 2nd must be picked up FTF at the plant in Missouri
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 5:21:54 PM EDT
[#23]
I got married a few months ago, honeymoon in St. Louis and took a trip over to Sedalia for the tour and several pounds of 2nds. Was a great side trip, well worth the time.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 6:11:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I got married a few months ago, honeymoon in St. Louis and took a trip over to Sedalia for the tour and several pounds of 2nds. Was a great side trip, well worth the time.
View Quote

Must be some wife to go to a bullet plant on your honeymoon!
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 6:16:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

She tolerates my reloading/shooting hobby fairly well.
We spent a few days in St Louis and did the botanical gardens and everything she wanted. I got the Budweiser tour and then Sierra Bullets - I was perfectly happy with those.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top