Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/13/2013 8:33:23 PM EDT
I've read as much as I could watched videos so mind as well start asking questions here

As Far as I can tell the equipment is basic

Melting Pot
Ladle
A spoon of some sort (to skim )
Towel
lube and sizing
mould

There may be other thing (and if I am missing them please by all means tell input)

None the less my biggest thing is acquiring lead. What do you use? Where do you get? Is there a place I have over looked that possibly be able to acquire?

I would also like looking at set ups of your rigging

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 8:55:32 PM EDT
[#1]
add flux

ingot mold

kitchen matches to blacken the mold cavities

get an old piece of plywood, cut it so it's only 2-3 feet tall, then cover the surface with aluminum foil to catch splatters and such, lead doesn't stick to aluminum

add eye protection

heavy duty leather gloves

lead free solder as a source of tin

Most of my lead, virtually all is from wheel weights.

Link Posted: 7/13/2013 9:03:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
add flux
ingot mold

get an old piece of plywood, cut it so it's only 2-3 feet tall, then cover the surface with aluminum foil to catch splatters and such, lead doesn't stick to aluminum

add eye protection

For your wheel weights are you actively obtaining them or old stock. been reading and even discussed with dryflash3 that many are just zinc
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 9:09:36 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

add flux

ingot mold

add eye protection

For your wheel weights are you actively obtaining them or old stock. been reading and even discussed with dryflash3 that many are just zinc

I just scored a big bucket full yesterday, after watching some youtube videos on making ingots, I resigned myself to sorting the wheel weights by hand before melting them, zinc has a melting point of 50 - 60 degrees more than lead so there's a good chance it'll melt in the melting pot unless the temp is precise.  Easier to nip it on the bud and have no zinc ones in the melting pot.

Most buckets of wheel weights have other crud in them too: tire stickers, valve stems, cigarette butts, other crap

I have a 10 lb Lee Product Pot IV I used in the past to melt wheel weights, it's too slow for dealing with large quanities of wheel weights, so today I went and bought some stuff so I can melt the wheel weights en mass using my propane cooker burner, expect pics and a write up soon

A propane torch is handy to help speed up heating of the bullet molds as well

Link Posted: 7/13/2013 9:23:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Good video on how to mass produce lead ingots from wheel weights and more importantly, how to tell zine from lead wheelweights

Link Posted: 7/13/2013 10:38:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Never use steel or coated muffin tins for ingot molds - only plain Aluminum

Never add material to a melt inprocess that has not been baked first.

Never cast outdoors if rain is possible - 1 rain drop can ruin your whole future....

Never cast in sneakers/tennis shoes etc - wear real leather boots that a lead splatter won't injure you.

Best to use a bottom pour type pot for casting and only feed it pre-cleaned ingots.

Use a coffee can or buy a cheapy stainless pan to melt out the steel clips and burn off all the other scum - Never do this indoors! I use the small dutch ovens sold by Harbor Freight and put new WW on the lid to bake out any moisture before I add them to the melt. You can use a camp stove, propane burner, charcoal BBQ, even a wood fire to do your ingot casting - just try to keep the melt covered with a lid if there will be ash blowing around like on a charcoal BBQ.

Consider using an extra large pair of Channel Lock type pliers to allow a better grip under all the weight for pouring ingots. (also keeps your hands farther from the pot.)

Join Cast Boolits website!

Always wash your hands before eating or drinking anything after or during casting. I don't know of any casters who got lead poisoning - BUT Wheel weight lead and some lead shot is often hardened with Arsenic which can burn off while your cleaning your ingot metal.

Lastly - I would not allow any young children anywhere near my casting area - There are many hazards for them and they will be a distraction for you. To be safe, you need your attention 100% focused on what you are doing. I would not even let them watch from a distance till they reach a certain age - again you need to be 100% focused - not involved in a Q & A or other discussion.

That said I taught my cousin to cast boolits for me when he was 11 lookin to earn pocket money. The kid was all ready good at soldiering copper pipes and using other machine shop tools so he was ready to learn and respected the potential dangers.
Link Posted: 7/14/2013 12:56:57 AM EDT
[#6]
What would happen if some zinc wheel weights got into the melting pot and melted into the lead? would it be rendered useless?
Link Posted: 7/14/2013 5:26:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/14/2013 8:13:49 AM EDT
[#8]
You can get free lead in the berm at the range where you shoot.
Link Posted: 7/14/2013 8:57:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
add flux
ingot mold

add eye protection

Good list^
One personal favorite missing is a small wooded mallet (hammer) When I cast I have that mallet in one hand and the mould in the other. I use the mallet to open the spure plate and to tap the mould so the bullets fall out, then to close the spure plate. Can't do without it.
Link Posted: 7/14/2013 2:35:28 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Good list^

One personal favorite missing is a small wooded mallet (hammer) When I cast I have that mallet in one hand and the mould in the other. I use the mallet to open the spure plate and to tap the mould so the bullets fall out, then to close the spure plate. Can't do without it.

I use a cut down section of a broom stick as my mold whacker, cheaper than a mallet

Link Posted: 7/14/2013 3:45:18 PM EDT
[#11]
So any pictures of everyone's set ups?
Link Posted: 7/14/2013 3:57:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Not set up but here's some of my stash and gear, less the stuff I just bought yesterday for bulk wheelweight smelting

Sorted, cleaned wheelweights

Ingots

Lee ingot mold on top of RCBS ingot mold, mold whacker (the stick)

Lee Production Pot IV, the brick wrapped in foil is a hot mold rest

Lee six cavity molds

Lead free solder (tin), stick lube,  and Brownell's Marvelux (flux)

RCBS lube/sizer dies

RCBS lube/sizer

Link Posted: 7/14/2013 4:34:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What would happen if some zinc wheel weights got into the melting pot and melted into the lead? would it be rendered useless?

That's why it's important to render your lead into ingots before use.

Make sure you stay under 700 degrees in the rendering process, that will float the Zn weights to the top and not melt them.

Then you can use all the heat you want/need in the casting process because you will only be casting lead.
Link Posted: 7/14/2013 5:03:10 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Make sure you stay under 700 degrees in the rendering process, that will float the Zn weights to the top and not melt them.

Never had this happen before so I'll ask, say you're melting wheelweights and happen to melt some zinc ones along with the lead ones, will you be able to skim off the melted zinc? Will it float to the top even though it's melted?

Link Posted: 7/14/2013 5:53:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/14/2013 7:15:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Dryflash3: Never cease to amaze, What lube/sizer are you using?

AssaultRifler: What are the coiled up rounds next to your flux? As well as what lube/sizer is that?
Link Posted: 7/14/2013 7:34:58 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Dryflash3: Never cease to amaze, What lube/sizer are you using?
AssaultRifler: What are the coiled up rounds next to your flux? As well as what lube/sizer is that?

lead free solder, 95% tin, 5% silver

ETA: some people use just pure wheel weight alloy with satisfactory results, I always add a bit of tin to my casting alloy

RCBS Lube-A-Matic

Link Posted: 7/14/2013 7:39:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 5:03:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Never had this happen before so I'll ask, say you're melting wheelweights and happen to melt some zinc ones along with the lead ones, will you be able to skim off the melted zinc? Will it float to the top even though it's melted?

Good question.

I'm not a metallurgist (but #1 son is) so I'm guessing that there may be convection currents in the pot that would make it hard to get all the melted Zn.
Also, it's probably possible for the Zn and Pb to alloy themselves together but I don't know what temperature that would take.

I'm thinking (guessing) that if you were just at 780 degrees you could probably get most of the melted Zn off the top.

One more guess, if the amount of Zn in the mix was only a couple of percent you probably wouldn't notice it during the casting process.

Link Posted: 7/15/2013 7:36:10 AM EDT
[#20]
You can get a 1000° thermometer from howegauges on ebay for about $20.

I hand sort my wheel weights first. Here's 1200 lbs ready to sort.

Steel (marked fe) go in one bucket. Zinc (marked Zn) go in another bucket. Stick on wheel weights (SOWW) go in another bucket and clip on wheel weights (COWW) go in another bucket. Smelt the COWW's in a cast iron dutch oven on a turkey fryer at 650°. Skim off the clips into a steel pan.

All the zinc's get saved to trade to a guy on castboolits who wants zincs for cannonballs.

steel and clips get taken to the scrap yard.

Also I pick up range lead. Smelt them down and separate the copper jackets to go to the scrap yard.

When pouring ingots I have a different mold for ww than I do fro range scrap. Range scrap gets poured into walmart stainless steel condiment cups (4 for 97 cents) which make about a 1.25 lb ingot tat stacks nicely.

I pick up lots of supplies at the thrift store (wooden spoons, stainless steel pans, aluminum muffin tins, pewter etc..)

Ask everbody about lead wheel weights. You'll never know what you can get. Was in the radiator shop one day and asked about their solder drippings. A few weeks later got a call back and picked up a 120lb bucket of mud for $20. Yielded about 60 lbs of 60/40 solder ingots.

Fun hobby.

Link Posted: 7/15/2013 9:59:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Never cast outdoors if rain is possible - 1 rain drop can ruin your whole future....

Never cast in sneakers/tennis shoes etc - wear real leather boots that a lead splatter won't injure you.

Best to use a bottom pour type pot for casting and only feed it pre-cleaned ingots.

Use a coffee can or buy a cheapy stainless pan to melt out the steel clips and burn off all the other scum - Never do this indoors! I use the small dutch ovens sold by Harbor Freight and put new WW on the lid to bake out any moisture before I add them to the melt. You can use a camp stove, propane burner, charcoal BBQ, even a wood fire to do your ingot casting - just try to keep the melt covered with a lid if there will be ash blowing around like on a charcoal BBQ.

Consider using an extra large pair of Channel Lock type pliers to allow a better grip under all the weight for pouring ingots. (also keeps your hands farther from the pot.)

Always wash your hands before eating or drinking anything after or during casting. I don't know of any casters who got lead poisoning - BUT Wheel weight lead and some lead shot is often hardened with Arsenic which can burn off while your cleaning your ingot metal.

Lastly - I would not allow any young children anywhere near my casting area - There are many hazards for them and they will be a distraction for you. To be safe, you need your attention 100% focused on what you are doing. I would not even let them watch from a distance till they reach a certain age - again you need to be 100% focused - not involved in a Q & A or other discussion.

That said I taught my cousin to cast boolits for me when he was 11 lookin to earn pocket money. The kid was all ready good at soldiering copper pipes and using other machine shop tools so he was ready to learn and respected the potential dangers.

In your Opinion why is a bottom pour better? Haven't bought equipment yet so would like to hear what you have to say
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 10:08:46 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
In your Opinion why is a bottom pour better? Haven't bought equipment yet so would like to hear what you have to say

Here's my opinion, the lead doesn't have a chance to cool off when pouring vs using a dipper

You have precise control of how much lead pours, no guess work needed, like a faucet, open and close the valve to pour lead

Using a ladle you could do something stupid like pour molten lead on your hand if you're holding the mold in the other hand, usually your weak hand.  You'll also have to return the unused lead from the ladle back into the pot while holding the mold with the other hand.  What if you dipped too little lead, then you need to double dip.

Lead of the bottom of the pot flows faster than being dumped from a ladle because it's on the bottom, think of how water pressure works.

Bottom pour pots are faster and easier to use

Link Posted: 7/15/2013 10:09:46 AM EDT
[#23]
to start out casting, just start by making ingots, dont make bullets yet, gives you a chance to play with your equipment and such.  When you run out of wheel weights and have all ingots, then try casting with a mold
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 10:32:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
to start out casting, just start by making ingots, dont make bullets yet, gives you a chance to play with your equipment and such.  When you run out of wheel weights and have all ingots, then try casting with a mold

That's for sure a plan. Lucky for me Im picking up my propane stove when I go back north. Just need a pot a scoop, ingot mould and my safety equipment

As for the bottom pour pot any suggestions? Lee or Lyman or another brand, Just want to start up my pricing list so my wife doesn't kill me right away.

Link Posted: 7/15/2013 6:20:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 8:28:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Dryflash3 and AssualtRifler, Did you pick the Lee bottom poor on price or is it a really good one or both. I was looking around and the Lyman was around 300....
Link Posted: 7/16/2013 3:53:29 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Dryflash3 and AssualtRifler, Did you pick the Lee bottom poor on price or is it a really good one or both. I was looking around and the Lyman was around 300....

The Production Pot IV works fine and priced right.  When I bought mine the Lee 20 lb pot wasn't on the market, I woud suggest buying this one http://www.midwayusa.com/product/645810/lee-pro-4-20-lb-furnace-110-volt

Looks like 'flash has the 20 lb'r in his picture

Link Posted: 7/16/2013 6:12:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:

The melt ends looking like cottage cheese. Wont's cast a bullet properly.  

Throw away and start over with no zinc.

No, don't throw away the zinc contaminated alloy... send it to me... zinc can be removed from your alloy using sulfur, or, as some on cast-boolits are doing to make super-tough alloys using small amounts of copper, you can take zinc contaminated alloy and perform a chemical reaction using copper sulfate. The zinc in the melt and the copper in the copper sulfate trade places leaving you with zinc sulfate and a copper enriched melt that gives soft bullets that are very tough (hard to tear/shear).

Quoted:

The Lee is pretty low quality. On castboolits they have the nickname "Lee Dripomatic" for a reason. They like to leak a lot out of the spout on bottom.

Regarding wheel-weights, the amount of zinc/steel is going to be highly dependent on your location. Some states have banned lead weights and they are very hard to find, and therefore a bucket of wheel weight may only have 5-10% lead in it. OTOH, here in the midwest, lead weights are alive and well and buckets often contain around 85% lead for me. My yields, after sorting and smelting to remove clips and all the impurities come out at no less than 70% but often higher.

All my zinc weights get set aside in a box to trade to the guy out west that makes cannonballs with zinc. He will trade pound for pound his clean lead for your zinc.

Link Posted: 7/16/2013 8:24:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

The melt ends looking like cottage cheese. Wont's cast a bullet properly.  

Throw away and start over with no zinc.

No, don't throw away the zinc contaminated alloy... send it to me... zinc can be removed from your alloy using sulfur, or, as some on cast-boolits are doing to make super-tough alloys using small amounts of copper, you can take zinc contaminated alloy and perform a chemical reaction using copper sulfate. The zinc in the melt and the copper in the copper sulfate trade places leaving you with zinc sulfate and a copper enriched melt that gives soft bullets that are very tough (hard to tear/shear).

Quoted:

The Lee is pretty low quality. On castboolits they have the nickname "Lee Dripomatic" for a reason. They like to leak a lot out of the spout on bottom.

Regarding wheel-weights, the amount of zinc/steel is going to be highly dependent on your location. Some states have banned lead weights and they are very hard to find, and therefore a bucket of wheel weight may only have 5-10% lead in it. OTOH, here in the midwest, lead weights are alive and well and buckets often contain around 85% lead for me. My yields, after sorting and smelting to remove clips and all the impurities come out at no less than 70% but often higher.

All my zinc weights get set aside in a box to trade to the guy out west that makes cannonballs with zinc. He will trade pound for pound his clean lead for your zinc.

What pot do you have then?
Link Posted: 7/16/2013 10:27:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/16/2013 6:49:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

With Lead based alloys - almost any impurity will float, steel - it floats, Zinc, before it melts will float. Even any "dirt" floats. I will ofter sir in sawdust with the flux and leave the slag floating on top to prevent exposure and more oxides forming.

You might add too many or too fast feeding ingots in as you replace what you have cast - if so there are times when the surface will semi-harden - yet the lower half of the furnace is still hot fuild lead.

Some molds like .22 or .17 may work better under pressure - fill directly then give some gap for your sprue puddle.

Multi- cavity molds like a Lee 6 cavity - or a double sided 12 cavity you can get a pace and fill like you were filling ice cube trays.

Brand - what ever you can find a deal on - used reloading gear is one of the few great deals yet to be found at gun shows.

I am only 5 months older than my San Diego Machine Star Lube sizer, and I can join the AARP in a few months... Gun show score. My Lyman #20 pot - Gun show score and its about the same vintage as the Star. I started casting with several Lyman 2 cavity molds and a LEE 10# bottom pour pot.  I later bought a LEE 6 cavity and cast several K with it before I broke down and replaced that ID10T designed Aluminum Sprue cutter with a good STEEL one.

Before the LEE bottom pour I cast using a Lyman dipper and a small cast iron pot that I think was once a plumbers pot* (* old sewer pipe was cast iron and each segment had a funnel like end that you inserted the next pipe into. these joints were sealed by soaking up lead with a hemp rope like a wick then wrapping it around the pipe and stuffing it into the joint. As the lead cools it shrinks a bit forming a good seal yet is a bit flexable under load..)

BTW - I love using a plumbers furnace for cleaning lead and making ingots - but these are all rare antiques these days and its hard to find a working example. They used white gas or kerosene but I run mine on cheap pump gas ( as if pump gas was really cheap!, but price a 1 gal can of "Coleman" stove fuel...)

I scored on the LEE #10 too -  my friend was going to a big sale at our fav sporting goods outlet and I couldn't go - one thing mentioned was LEE reloading gear, so I gave him the item number and ask him to get me the pot. Well he stops by the next day and hands me the pot ( in box ) and recipt and says I owe him dinner. Who ever did the sale markdown must have made a mistake because the receipt and the sticker on the box was for $9.99 .  I went back later to see if this was correct and the pots were now priced at $29.99, I pointed it out to the manager and he claimed ( WINK, WINK ) our employees could never have made such a mistake and the price I paid must have been the proper price.

EDIT: BTW as an old fat and lazy caster I now do alot of my casting on a Master Caster . But to be honest this didn't start until after I bought my first submachine gun.
Link Posted: 7/16/2013 7:53:13 PM EDT
[#32]
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet.  If using a spoon or ladle and it's a humid day check your dipper first and make sure there isn't a lot of condensation on it before dipping the lead out.  Can have the same results as rain falling in the lead pot, not good.
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 9:38:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Well I have an update: Today I bought Lyman's 4th casting book from optics planet but more importantly I picked up WW. I didn't have enough buck/ or strength I filled about 3/4ths of a bucket and they still have more. What the owner and one of his workers said they are all lead. Both SO and CO need to pick up the rest today and sort (and check to see if they are lead to be safe). None the less to me its a decent score for myself and its only one place ive checked so far.

Got this all for free from a tire shop in town. Like on Monday they were gonna dump it so I came at a good time. Figured they did good by me ill do good by them and give them my business. Next is sorting.

ProfGAB101 if only I could get that master caster you have

Link Posted: 7/19/2013 5:34:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Join Cast Boolits website!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  best place for casting etc .. great bunch of guys on there .. buy abc's of reloading and read it .
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 7:47:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Join Cast Boolits website!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  best place for casting etc .. great bunch of guys on there .. buy abc's of reloading and read it .http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm258/4719dave/1st%20casting/100_3324.jpg
View Quote

Already have joined, as for ABC I  do have an older version somewhere and read it before I started (or it was RCBS from way back that dealt in metallic reloading). But I do need to get the book anyways as reference for some of my friends that want to get into it
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top