User Panel

Posted: 5/4/2013 3:34:47 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 4:56:21 PM EDT
[#1]
thanks for posting this, seems to come up a lot
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 5:39:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Every reloading book in print contains incorrect information about 5.56X45 brass.  Whether it does or not isn't relevant anyway, we all have to check and confirm the details for ourselves.  Reloading is all about the details.

By far the best summation about reloading, and the funnest part, IMHO.
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 7:26:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 6:47:54 AM EDT
[#4]
I ran across this last night loading up 9mm.
I was weighing each case before dispensing powder into it, then re-weighing it to double check my new powder dispenser (RCBS Uniflow).
Seems that there is a +/- .8 to 3.4 grain weight difference in my mixed lot of 9mm cases.  I kept having to re-zero my digital scale almost every time.

I'm not loading anywhere near max powder charge so I'm not too worried about it, or should I be??
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 7:59:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
thanks for posting this, seems to come up a lot

Thanks AeroE.
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 8:30:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 4:44:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I ran across this last night loading up 9mm.
I was weighing each case before dispensing powder into it, then re-weighing it to double check my new powder dispenser (RCBS Uniflow).
Seems that there is a +/- .8 to 3.4 grain weight difference in my mixed lot of 9mm cases.  I kept having to re-zero my digital scale almost every time.

I'm not loading anywhere near max powder charge so I'm not too worried about it, or should I be??

Are those numbers for the charge weights or case weights?

If it's the powder weight, which gunpowder are you loading?  If it's Unique, you'll have to do everything you can to kill static charge on your powder measure, and then it will throw pretty well but not great.

The only straight wall cases I've weighed are for .32 ACP, due to the tiny charge weights and warning in some data to use exactly the published charge weight, plus or minus nothing.  The difference from heavy to light was a little surprising in those tiny cases.

The cases are +/- .8 to 3.4 grains difference in weight - uncharged.
Instead of using the cup on the scale, I'm using the case and re-zeroing the digital scale every time.
that's where I noticed the weight difference between some cases.
I'm using Power Pistol.
My RCBS Uniflow is doing a pretty good job dispensing powder.  It's with in .1 most of the time.  
I get an occasional .5 low or .3 high, but I think I should chalk that up to the powder not the dispenser.

Link Posted: 5/5/2013 5:09:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 4:06:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

s.

Every reloading book in print contains incorrect information about 5.56X45 brass.  Whether it does or not isn't relevant anyway, we all have to check and confirm the details for ourselves.  Reloading is all about the details.

All but one, Sierra #5, page 176.

The conventional wisdom to reduce loads with military brass is familiar to most reloaders and is generally good advice. The rationale here is that the military cases tend to be somewhat thicker and heavier than their civilian counterparts, which in turn reduces capacity and raises pressures. This additional pressure normally requires a one or two grain reduction from the loads shown in most manuals or other data developed with commercial cases. While this is most often the situation with both 308 Winchester and 30-06 cases, it is less true with the 223 brass. We have found that military cases often have significantly more capacity than several brands of commercial brass. Again, take the time to do a side-by-side comparison of the cases you are working with and adjust your load as needed. There may be no need for such a reduction with the 223. Know your components and keep them segregated accordingly.
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 6:36:28 AM EDT
[#10]
but why are they different?

I can only think of two possible reasons:

* .mil wants higher chamber pressures

* thinner is cheaper (ie: less material cost for the manufacturer) for the commercial market
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 6:47:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 6:07:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I recently read the pressure difference was from when they switched from 55 to 62 gr projectiles which, due to different ogive contour, necessitated a different freebore. The longer freebore allowed higher pressures.

IDK the source and don't quote me on that.
Top Top