Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2013 10:39:59 AM EDT
My engineer friend gave me this idea and helped me with the machining, so he gets the credit.

Motor was from a $80 belt sander from Menards.  Chuck was about $40 from local hardware store.  Can be had for about $20

I started with a half inch drill chuck, and had to drill the threaded portion out to the size of the motor shaft which was .55 in.  I first tried a drill press but the press had too much wobble to drill the hole true enough.   I then had my engineer friend use a lathe to true the hole so that it would not wobble on the shaft.  Then a set screw was drilled and tapped in the siad to hold it on.    Coupled with a Little Crow Gunworks Worlds Finest Trimmer, you have a cheep Giraud style trimmer.   I also use a shortened cleaning rod to screw in other attachments like a Hornady military crimp remover, or a primer pocket uniformer.

Link Posted: 4/5/2013 10:46:11 AM EDT
[#1]
That is exactly what I was thinking about doing with my collection of Little Crow trimmers.
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 11:04:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Coupled with a Little Crow Gunworks Worlds Finest Trimmer, you have a cheep Giraud style trimmer.

It's a nice rig and is reasonably well executed.

A Giraud, it is not.  You still need to deburr and chamfer, whereas, the Giraud cutter does all that for you in one shot.

Still, it is a nice piece of DIY kit.  

Link Posted: 4/5/2013 11:25:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 11:25:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Coupled with a Little Crow Gunworks Worlds Finest Trimmer, you have a cheep Giraud style trimmer.

A Giraud, it is not.  You still need to deburr and chamfer, whereas, the Giraud cutter does all that for you in one shot.

That is true it is no Giraud but the WFT is advertised that you only have to slightly chamfer the inside of the case mouth.    If you were seating boat tail bullets im not sure that you would even need to chamfer.  I always do thought.
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 12:32:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 1:16:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 1:22:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I like it
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 1:27:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I do something similar by chucking up a WFT into my drill then mounting the drill vertically into a vise. I prefer the vertical orientation over the horizontal, to counter the brass all over my bench issue I cut the bottom off a small water bottle, drilled a hole in the bottom of it and slid it on the WFT shaft creating a brass catcher.
I also do not bother with chamfering after unless I am making a batch of precision loads.
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 4:50:05 PM EDT
[#9]
nice job,what is the motor rpm?
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 4:57:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
nice job,what is the motor rpm?

Its a 1780 rpm 3/4 hp motor.

Link Posted: 4/5/2013 5:32:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I wonder if you would need to deburr with a 3450rpm motor
Link Posted: 4/6/2013 5:09:13 AM EDT
[#12]
I use it in a drill press from harbor freight and it works great.  After I put the deburring tool in the press and do it again.  It's not bad for the investment especially if your only trimming one caliber.
Link Posted: 4/6/2013 9:34:58 AM EDT
[#13]
I like it

Link Posted: 4/6/2013 11:54:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree, nice but not yet perfect.  If it were perfect I'd be in.

Lee has that new Quick Trim that cuts + chamfers.  When I get mine next week in the mail I'm going to see what I might be able to do with a motor, as long as I'm satisfied with the job it does.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top