Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/24/2013 6:33:06 PM EDT
I only have a hornady book and they only list for jacketed bullets.  On berry's web site it says to use cast bullet load data.

Link Posted: 3/24/2013 6:46:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 4:25:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I only have a hornady book and they only list for jacketed bullets.  On berry's web site it says to use cast bullet load data.

Here is what it says on Berry's web site.

When loading plated bullets we have found best results using low- to mid-range jacketed data in the load manual. You must use data for a bullet that has the same weight and profile as the one you are loading. Do not exceed mid-range loads. Do not use magnum loads.
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 4:33:09 AM EDT
[#3]
3.2 to 3.4 would seem about right from memory. Make sure you verify on the Alliant site.
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 6:35:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Not near my bench or notes, but I set oal to match Winchester 115 grain 9mm. Reference either lead data or jacketed data, if using jacketed don't go past mid-range.

Now, I'm gonna suggest why Berrys says to not go higher. Yes, bullet is plated, some argue plating is thick, thick as jacketed. Whatever. Somewhere lost in their logic is core information. Meaning Berrys uses a soft lead core, probably 8-10 brinnel is my guess. Soft core when driven through bore hard will start to egg shape and that's when jacket separation is an issue.

I use an indoor range for load workups. Owner of range is fanatical at keeping his climate controlled, snail trapped, water ramped range neat as a pin, meaning range is well light and his floor clean enough to eat off of. Torn jackets laying half to three quarter way down range are good indicators of trouble. Stay below mid-range jacketed data and you'll do fine.

Loaf Safe

dc.
Top Top