Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/19/2013 4:26:50 PM EDT
Hello all,

I recently purchased the Lyman Ultrasonic Cleaner. I mixed tap water and Hornady brass cleaner solution. I mixed it just as the directions stated (I think it was like 40oz to 1oz) and started the process. Since it was a test try, I only loaded maybe (30) .223 brass casings, turned on the heat, and let it go for a total of 8 minutes. It appeared to clean it fairly well, but it did not shine them even a little bit. Does anyone have any suggestions to get that bright factory shine? I read possibly putting them through a tumbler after the ultra cleaner? Any suggestions would be appreciated... Thanks!!!

Link Posted: 1/19/2013 4:30:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hello all,

I recently purchased the Lyman Ultrasonic Cleaner. I mixed tap water and Hornady brass cleaner solution. I mixed it just as the directions stated (I think it was like 40oz to 1oz) and started the process. Since it was a test try, I only loaded maybe (30) .223 brass casings, turned on the heat, and let it go for a total of 8 minutes. It appeared to clean it fairly well, but it did not shine them even a little bit. Does anyone have any suggestions to get that bright factory shine? I read possibly putting them through a tumbler after the ultra cleaner? Any suggestions would be appreciated... Thanks!!!

according to the website, it says clean in 10 minutes, but does not mention shine. I would venture to guess you need to let it run longer to get a shine.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 4:39:29 PM EDT
[#2]
My process is to wash brass in water with Lemi-Shine, then transfer to sonic cleaner loaded with distilled water and double strength Hornady solution. Then run however many cycles it takes to clean my LaPua .308 brass completely clean. Afterwards dry and tumble in Lyman green cob.

I dry tumble everything else. Sonic cleaners were a blip on everyone's radar. Wet tumbling is how most achieve bling theses days.

dc.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 4:41:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I haven't been able to get a shine using an ultrasonic.  It will clean the primer pockets and give the brass a general cleaning, but no shine like wet tumbling or dry tumbling with corn cob.

When using an ultrasonic I deprime first, ultra sonic lean, process the brass, then dry tumble in corn cob to remove lubricant and shine it up.

Wet tumbling with stainless steel media accomplishes both of these things.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 4:50:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Wet tumbling in stainless media leaves a dull finish. The road to bling requires brass be polished.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 5:07:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies. I may have to look into the Tumbler....Any suggestions on Tumblers? I know all the major companies have them.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 5:18:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I use a Hornady ultrasonic cleaner and this is how mine come out.

Link Posted: 1/19/2013 5:28:25 PM EDT
[#7]
OCD, ooohh, that's purtee !

eta, Hornady is what I use. If you want little d, dryflash3 bling, tumble in cob after ultrasonic cleaner.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 5:29:31 PM EDT
[#8]
They look great AR. Mine definitely do not look like that.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 5:33:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Distilled water makes a big difference. I've used tap and distilled. Hornady directions say to use distilled water.

Link Posted: 1/19/2013 5:43:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Distilled water makes a big difference. I've used tap and distilled. Hornady directions say to use distilled water.

Thanks 1911.

Definitely gonna try the distilled sonic, followed up by the tumbler with some media, and maybe a little Nu-Finish. Time to spend more money on a Tumbler....
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 6:04:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 6:22:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Thanks.  Here's some .38s

It is true it takes a few cycles to get the cases looking good and I use distilled water and a little vinegar on the last one but running multiple cycles is just a matter of pushing a button.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 6:53:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Didn't think about vinegar, rinsing with distilled water almost gets brass to bling. PH of vinegar gives that extra push. 20 minutes in green cob afterwards really does it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 6:54:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Wet tumbling in stainless media leaves a dull finish. The road to bling requires brass be polished.

This 40 S&W brass was wet tumbled with SS media and it doesn't look very dull to me.

Link Posted: 1/19/2013 7:41:44 PM EDT
[#15]
You're right it doesn't, until compared with same brass having been tumbled for 20-30 minutes in green cob. Ultrasonic with double strength Hornady solution run with distilled water produces same results. Brass darkens a bit after dry. Run with green cob I get a bright luster.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 7:44:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:50:52 PM EDT
[#17]
I picked up my Frankford Arsenal Tumbler kit today. Just so I'm clear, I can ultrasonic with the Hornady solution first for about 8 minutes......Then follow it up by using the tumbler with some Lemishine and Walnut or Green Cob media?

Does it matter if the brass is still wet from the sonic cleaner before I tumble? How long does the Tumbling take? Sorry for all the questions. I just came upon a few thousand .223 rounds once fired right off the range and I'm not letting them go to waste. Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 10:04:33 PM EDT
[#18]
..use this:

Ultrasonic Recipe

CLEAN and SHINY
24 minutes - 50% Vinegar + 1 Drop Dish Soap per 8 ounces water
380 seconds - Birchwood Casey (BC) Case Cleaner
380 seconds - Hot Water
380 seconds - Distilled Water
Total: 43 minutes
Cost: $2.00 per gallon for the Vinegar and $4.00 per gallon for BC Cleaner.

This "Clean and Shiny" procedure gave me the best combination of carbon removal, case luster, speed, and economy. The "Clean and Shiny" regimen also eliminates the neutralization step, as the BC cleaner acts as a neutralizer. Even though it contains a few acids, they must rinse off more readily than vinegar. Regular household vinegar is 5% acetic acid (2.5% when diluted) and the BC cleaner contains 3 different acids, one of which is phosphoric (the same found in pepsi). It starts at over 50% acid as a concentrate, and a little over 3% when diluted.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 8:04:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
..use this:

Ultrasonic Recipe

CLEAN and SHINY
24 minutes - 50% Vinegar + 1 Drop Dish Soap per 8 ounces water
380 seconds - Birchwood Casey (BC) Case Cleaner
380 seconds - Hot Water
380 seconds - Distilled Water
Total: 43 minutes
Cost: $2.00 per gallon for the Vinegar and $4.00 per gallon for BC Cleaner.

This "Clean and Shiny" procedure gave me the best combination of carbon removal, case luster, speed, and economy. The "Clean and Shiny" regimen also eliminates the neutralization step, as the BC cleaner acts as a neutralizer. Even though it contains a few acids, they must rinse off more readily than vinegar. Regular household vinegar is 5% acetic acid (2.5% when diluted) and the BC cleaner contains 3 different acids, one of which is phosphoric (the same found in pepsi). It starts at over 50% acid as a concentrate, and a little over 3% when diluted.

+1 for this except I don't use the BC I use the one with baking soda instead. I just switched to a wet tumbler as the US just didn't handle the quantity that I reload at . A thousand rounds would take all day.

Link Posted: 1/22/2013 8:13:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You're right it doesn't, until compared with same brass having been tumbled for 20-30 minutes in green cob. Ultrasonic with double strength Hornady solution run with distilled water produces same results. Brass darkens a bit after dry. Run with green cob I get a bright luster.

I wonder if perhaps wet tumble  then get the media out and spin them as dry as you can in the media seperator. Then throw them into the walnut media for a luster plus to withdraw the moisture? You'd have to ensure a proper mix so that any liquid (water) absorbed would not soak the walnut, but shouldn't be too hard to do that would probably give the ultimate bling and quicken the drying time as well.

Link Posted: 1/22/2013 8:45:25 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm a new guy here in the reloading section, and have both a tumbler and the ultra sonic cleaner.

When tumbling, does any of the media say in the case?  Do you need to rinse or low it out?

I plan to use the ultrasonic cleaner to clean, and tumbler to remove lube.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 1:32:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 5:34:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 5:45:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm a new guy here in the reloading section, and have both a tumbler and the ultra sonic cleaner.

When tumbling, does any of the media say in the case?  Do you need to rinse or low it out?

I plan to use the ultrasonic cleaner to clean, and tumbler to remove lube.

When you say you are tumbling, if you specify wet or dry tumbling, we will know what you are talking about.  

Can't tell from your post.

Hornady ultrasonic, and corn cob tumbler.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 5:58:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 8:59:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Cabelas 400 Vibratory Tumbler with corn cob and Nu Finish

Link Posted: 2/14/2013 9:30:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Search and u shall receive.....this is what I needed
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 10:46:14 AM EDT
[#28]
With regards to wet tumbling... I've been noticing lately that the pins are getting stuck in the .223 primer pockets, necks and flash holes.  Just a few cases, mind you, but enough.  Small needle nose pliers to get them out.  

I wonder if my stainless steel pins are getting shorter somehow? This never happened before last week...

Link Posted: 2/14/2013 11:44:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I picked up my Frankford Arsenal Tumbler kit today. Just so I'm clear, I can ultrasonic with the Hornady solution first for about 8 minutes......Then follow it up by using the tumbler with some Lemishine and Walnut or Green Cob media?

Does it matter if the brass is still wet from the sonic cleaner before I tumble? How long does the Tumbling take? Sorry for all the questions. I just came upon a few thousand .223 rounds once fired right off the range and I'm not letting them go to waste. Thanks!

I don't think the Lemishine will do you any good in the Walnut or Corn Cob. Lemishine is powdered Citric acid and needs to be dissolved in the wet tumbler solution to be effective. If I were you I would start with the US as you suggest to get the cases clean, then after drying and resizing I would use the dry tumbler with Corn Cob and a capful of Dillon Case Polish or NuFinish car polish to shine them up. Time for tumbling will depend on how shiny you want them. 20 minutes might be enough, or you may have to run them for a couple hours.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 11:56:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/3/2013 5:22:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Sweet looking brass!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top