Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/7/2012 7:09:46 PM EDT
First that I've run into this tonight.  I've gotten used to separating my 45, but the tens too?  Any one else run into this?
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 7:37:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
First that I've run into this tonight.  I've gotten used to separating my 45, but the tens too?  Any one else run into this?

Details?  Pictures?

Link Posted: 12/7/2012 7:46:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I guess if I need to post pictures, I can try tomorrow.  I thought it was pretty simple, SMALL primers, LARGE primers.  If you don't believe me, I will post pics when I am more awake.
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 7:56:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Tag for curiosity....

I'm guessing Federal or CCI/Speer headstamp....
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 8:23:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I guess if I need to post pictures, I can try tomorrow.  I thought it was pretty simple, SMALL primers, LARGE primers.  If you don't believe me, I will post pics when I am more awake.

Oh OK, got it.  No need to post pictures.  No need to post details like, head stamp etc.  It's pretty simple, you have 10MM brass with small primer pockets.  It's best for us if we just speculate and guess.  Cool thanks.
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 8:41:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Is it new, or really old?

I believe it used to come with small primers.
Link Posted: 12/8/2012 3:27:16 AM EDT
[#6]
I won't be surprised if we start seeing most traditionally "Large Pistol" rounds coming out with small primer pockets.  The ammo makers are learning a few things with their newer "green" primers, and applying that new knowledge to simplify and lower costs.  From what I've read, .45 small primer loads are at least as consistent as identical loads with large primers, and since today's priming compounds are able to be tweaked in so many ways to handle any powder there is, I would be surprised if every brass maker doesn't get on board with small primer pockets.  Why did the .45 or 10mm have large primers to begin with?  The .38 SPL was made with large primers until the 1920 IIRC, and the .40 S&W was originally made with large primers until it was found that ejecting live rounds (from SOME pistols) had the potential of whacking the primer on a slide...

I think it's also important to remember that you should inspect EVERY case before you load it.  Every time I see a post about "WTF!!! I just bleeped up my press because the case was X" I think "you'd have caught that if you just inspected the brass before you got started".  Not very charitable of me, sure, but I am very tough on myself for inspecting everything at every stage of the process, having goobered up a 9mm carbine with a squib I loaded...
Link Posted: 12/8/2012 5:08:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Haven't found any 10mm brass on the range for years and years and years

Link Posted: 12/8/2012 5:46:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/8/2012 5:52:11 AM EDT
[#9]
A quick search, and it seems to be Federal Cartridge Non-toxic.  Also appears to be rarely seen.
Link Posted: 12/8/2012 5:57:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Interesting.
Link Posted: 12/8/2012 5:57:58 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

A quick search, and it seems to be Federal Cartridge Non-toxic.  Also appears to be rarely seen.

Interesting, wasn't shot out of a Glock, the most common 10mm out there.  Maybe a Colt Delta Elite or SW 10x6 series would be my guess

Link Posted: 12/8/2012 6:08:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Haven't found any 10mm brass on the range for years and years and years  

Makes me wish I took all the 10mm that the feds would leave in the reserve center indoor range back in the day.  Would be good trade stock these days.

yeah this big and small mixed crap is annoying.  

I don't care either way, make the big switch industry wide or leave it alone.

Link Posted: 12/8/2012 6:55:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Interesting, wasn't shot out of a Glock, the most common 10mm out there.  Maybe a Colt Delta Elite or SW 10x6 series would be my guess

How can you tell?
Link Posted: 12/8/2012 6:56:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

How can you tell?

Shape of the firing pin strike.
Link Posted: 12/8/2012 2:50:44 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How can you tell?

Shape of the firing pin strike.

Yeah a Glock leaves a small rectangle not a crater

Link Posted: 12/8/2012 4:49:41 PM EDT
[#16]
rectangular firing pin?  Sorry, I don't own any Glocks.
Link Posted: 12/8/2012 4:59:11 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

rectangular firing pin?  Sorry, I don't own any Glocks.

Look at the second picture from here http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/2010/02/28/glock-blown-out-spent-cartridge-from-factory/ for what a Glocking firing pin strike looks like

Link Posted: 12/8/2012 7:17:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I won't be surprised if we start seeing most traditionally "Large Pistol" rounds coming out with small primer pockets.  The ammo makers are learning a few things with their newer "green" primers, and applying that new knowledge to simplify and lower costs.  From what I've read, .45 small primer loads are at least as consistent as identical loads with large primers, and since today's priming compounds are able to be tweaked in so many ways to handle any powder there is, I would be surprised if every brass maker doesn't get on board with small primer pockets.  Why did the .45 or 10mm have large primers to begin with?  The .38 SPL was made with large primers until the 1920 IIRC, and the .40 S&W was originally made with large primers until it was found that ejecting live rounds (from SOME pistols) had the potential of whacking the primer on a slide...

I think it's also important to remember that you should inspect EVERY case before you load it.  Every time I see a post about "WTF!!! I just bleeped up my press because the case was X" I think "you'd have caught that if you just inspected the brass before you got started".  Not very charitable of me, sure, but I am very tough on myself for inspecting everything at every stage of the process, having goobered up a 9mm carbine with a squib I loaded...

I inspect even my factory loaded ammo before putting it in a magazine.  Saved myself from trying to shoot some Winchester Silvertips in 10mm that had the cartridge lip folded under on one side.  I go over my pick-up brass even more thoroughly.

ETA: Interesting, never seen the non-toxic 10mm before.
Link Posted: 12/9/2012 8:45:57 AM EDT
[#19]
As I suspected... FC ... interesting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top