Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2012 6:24:06 AM EDT
I am starting to compile a lot of information from reloading and so far it is all on scratch paper and very unorganized. What I am looking for is a premade data sheet where I can keep track of all the variable to my loads. Things like type of brass, powder type and grains, bullet type and weight, accuracy, etc. I want to keep all of this information in a three ring binder that can stay right on my bench. It crossed my mind that I can make one in Excel but then thought someone must have all ready done something like this. Search didn't turn up any results. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 6:29:18 AM EDT
[#1]
You could try and make up a spreadsheet in Excel with all the info you want to keep track of and print it out. Just my .02
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 6:36:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Excel.  Here are the columns I use.  Others may have better templates, but I have hundreds of load data in mine, so not likely going to switch.  

One tab for each caliber or gun, as you wish.  One tab with a ballistics calculator in it (it's just math, you don't need to buy a fancy program).  One tab with all my components, source, price, and lot numbers.  One tab with notes.  One tab specifically for chrono data.

LotNumber PowderChargeWeightCaseOALAverageStd DevStd DevAvgRadiusTest GunComments
NumberDateLoadedMfgType(grains)MfgType(grains)BrassPrimerLength(in)Crimp(ft/s)(ft/s)%MOAMOAnumbers

I also suggest this, for measuring performance of your loads.  

http://www.jbmballistics.com/ballistics/calculators/calculators.shtml
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 7:35:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I use a notebook now, but have found something from impact data books that i am going to give a try. They are very organized and def beats my methods now.

Impact data books

If your a member at the hide they always do a monthly promo so check there for a code.

Link Posted: 10/2/2012 7:35:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Here is one found online, I have added a few of my own pages to it since I found it.  I uploaded it to google drive and it looks weird but if you download it in excel format it should work fine for you if it doesn't IM and I'll send you the sheet via email.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B5JgEhaQUH_Lb1hjSFZnSjdhMlE
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 8:14:44 AM EDT
[#5]
If you use Excel be sure to BACK IT UP!  Print it out and keep it in your book.

Hard disk drives fail.  Eventually, they all fail.  It is just a matter of time.  

Excel is what I use, too.  It isn't just the tables it creates, it's the plots.  The plots take all that numerical data and condense it into something you can look at and understand.  I put in the load data, the chronograph data and the target information.  Don't forget to describe the rifle used, the date, the environmental conditions, everything you can.  

I have even started to photograph the primer end of the cases and include copies of the photos in the spreadsheet.  I make a 3X5" card describing what's in the photo (which cases are which) and the card is shot in the photo of the cases.  The cases get put back in the box, primer end facing up, each load in its own row (or column) within the box.  

Keep your targets, too.  Annotate them with comparable information.

Honestly, I don't think anyone can do this for you.  What you do, how you do it, is entirely up to you.  Have fun doing it.

I hope this helps in some way.
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 10:13:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I have quickly come to the same opinion. Everyone seems to have a little different take on what they need to know and what they don't. I will attempt my own spreadsheet with the understanding that it is going to be evolving as I get more experience.

Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone.
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 11:36:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have quickly come to the same opinion. Everyone seems to have a little different take on what they need to know and what they don't. I will attempt my own spreadsheet with the understanding that it is going to be evolving as I get more experience.

I started my sheet with one tab and developed it as I went. I now have tabs for every gun and more. Some days I will get in there and start changing things and several hours later I will have a completely altered sheet or book.
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 1:12:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I made a simple one myself using Excel. Free to anyone who want to send me their email.

Link Posted: 10/2/2012 7:28:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 8:53:47 PM EDT
[#10]
http://home.comcast.net/~jesse99/caseprep.html

Look about half way down the page for a list of down loadable files.
Link Posted: 10/3/2012 2:49:16 PM EDT
[#11]
I too keep mine on Google Docs.  Here is a link to a basic version - I wish I could find / remember where I originally found it:  Click here

I used this as the base and then way over-complicated it. I added an inventory section, which is automatically updated when loads are entered, labels, etc.
Link Posted: 10/3/2012 3:19:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I made a simple one myself using Excel. Free to anyone who want to send me their email.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c392/imtheflash/weapons/IMAG0281_zps04e71f62.jpg

Sent you a IM with my e-mail, I like that data sheet
Link Posted: 10/3/2012 3:36:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If you aren't yet a power-user, you can use this as a mechanism for learning more about Excel, too.  If you need help plotting, or whatever, just come here and ask.  Everyone's very helpful.

As you can see from all the suggestions above, there's a lot to keep track of.  Really, you should consider tracking it all.  It's not just the powder charge, its also the powder type and the manufacturer. 42.0 gr doesn't cut it. Even 42.0 gr of 4895 isn't right.  It's 42.0 gr of IMR4895 with a lot#, too.  

Don't forget the date of testing.

There's so much to track.  You'd be surprised what you forget about loading for your <insert cartridge name here> after 10 years have passed by.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top