Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2012 6:17:59 AM EDT
Does anyone have any plans for building reloading benches?What about any pointers on building or tips on what to do and not to do, what materials to use, paints etc.
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 7:27:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Going to make a version of this today.
Bench
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 7:33:39 AM EDT
[#2]
I have .pdf plans for an easy to make workbench as well as plans for this workbench.

The first set of plans I have do not take any serious woodworking skills.  The plans for the pictured bench is another story.

IM me a good e-mail address and I'd be happy to send you either or both.
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 8:11:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Bench

if you are mounting a press to that, do not use OSB as your only top piece
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 9:26:30 AM EDT
[#4]
These are the plans I used for my reloading bench.  I had to scale down a little bit to fit in the space I had.

http://www.shotgunsportsmagazine.com/downloads/bench_plans.pdf

http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u383/standingtall2/bench3.jpg
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 9:30:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Here's a plan... Buy two of the cheapest under counter cabinets at the Home Center, a solid core door, a 1x1, a few drywall screws and a tube of construction adhesive. Place the under counter cabinets and apply construction adhesive to the top edges. Place the door on top of the cabinets. Cut the 1x1 into 12 inch pieces. Apply construction adhesive to adjacent edges and screw them into the cabinets and door as gussets/cleats. Let dry overnight. Mount your equipment and load. Solid as a rock and plenty of storage.
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 9:48:43 AM EDT
[#6]
I used the plans posted by GWhis. It's a great bench, and fairly easy to construct.

Do a search in the archives for it (I think it's there)
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 12:00:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

These are the plans I used for my reloading bench.  I had to scale down a little bit to fit in the space I had.

Same here.  Changed it up a bit, but it's a great set of free plans.

Hot link:

Link Posted: 7/15/2012 12:06:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bench

if you are mounting a press to that, do not use OSB as your only top piece

My brother just happened to have the plywood. 3/4", There is also an extra 2X4 that runs underneath that its lag screwed to.
Total cost me about $28.
This is temporary for my apartment. Till I can get a house in October and build a proper set-up.
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 12:35:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I used the plans posted by GWhis. It's a great bench, and fairly easy to construct.

Do a search in the archives for it (I think it's there)

You don't have to search the archives, it's tacked in the Gateway Thread....page 2...8 posts down.

or....just click Here.

Link Posted: 7/15/2012 1:01:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Damn thanks all!
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 2:30:07 PM EDT
[#11]
When I built my bench I just kinda winged it. I got an 8' foot counter top, a couple 4x4s and 2x4s. When mounting a press you can sandwich the counter top with a couple pieces of 1/4" aluminum diamond plate.

Link Posted: 7/15/2012 7:07:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 8:45:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
General tips,

Top of bench should be at least 1 1/2 inches thick.

True unless you build a torsion beam design like in my plans.  3/4" is plenty in that case, since in effect the torsion beam and the top is one...4-1/4" thick where the press stroke torques it!
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 9:31:22 PM EDT
[#14]
This thread is relevant to my interests, & was looking for something along these lines for ideas too.

I just got the space for a bench cleared in my spare room at the house, & picked up 2 - 7' 6" long (1" thick x 12" wide) hardwood oak semi trailer flooring boards. I think a 5' long bench would be more than ideal, & I would double up under where the press would be mounted, for a 2" thickness.

ETA: Approximately how high is a normal bench? I plan on getting a bar stool type of seat so I can sit while working.
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 4:19:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
This thread is relevant to my interests, & was looking for something along these lines for ideas too.

I just got the space for a bench cleared in my spare room at the house, & picked up 2 - 7' 6" long (1" thick x 12" wide) hardwood oak semi trailer flooring boards. I think a 5' long bench would be more than ideal, & I would double up under where the press would be mounted, for a 2" thickness.

ETA: Approximately how high is a normal bench? I plan on getting a bar stool type of seat so I can sit while working.

Make it as long as you can. You can never have enough space.

Those boards are probably rough as hell. Unless you're gonna sand 'em smooth, glue and screw something smoother on top of them. Use 2x4 stringers going front to back directly under where you'll mount your press, then you can lag bolt it right into them.

My bench is 37'' high and I use a bar stool too. Most have adjustable legs for height.

Link Posted: 7/16/2012 6:27:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Drawers lots of drawers and storage you will accumulate more than what you can store.
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 6:59:54 AM EDT
[#17]
I built my reloading bench like a deck.  Attach a header board (2x4) to the wall with lag bolts through the studs.  Build a frame out of 2x4's and use two 2x4's glued and bolted together for each of the front legs.  I happen to like 3/4" white formica board (or countertop material) for work benches and reloading benches, but I know that most people like solid wood or plywood.  I use the formica board and just re-enforce the area under where the presses will be mounted with solid board (1'2" to 3"4" thick, 1x8 all the way across the front).  Add a bottom shelf to tie the legs together for added rigidity while providing extra storage.
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 7:14:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hot link:

It's a very SOLID bench. Nothing moves or shakes. I built one two years ago with some minor changes.
1) All dimensions increased to eliminate any excess wood going to scrap (except the 4X4's. Decide on the height before you start).
2) Skipped all the sliding doors. Half of the 1/4" sheet of plywood is fastened as the back of the shelves. The other half is hinged at the top to cover the front.

As a work bench for power tools, it's great.

Link Posted: 7/16/2012 12:03:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Any pictures? /\
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 1:44:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/17/2012 5:30:23 AM EDT
[#21]
I just completed this bench a couple months ago. Actually it isn't done yet, I plan on adding drawers, maybe this winter.

The top is two layers of 3/4" MDF, with 1/4" hardboard on top of that. I sealed the top with clear polyurethane. The pros for MDF is that it is very uniform, hard, and heavy. You do want to protect the edges to keep it from chipping. I wrapped oak trim around and attached it with pocket screws.

Like someone else mentioned my bench is built like a deck. Basically two ladder assemblies bolted to the wall on one side with legs on the other.

If anyone is interested I have the plans in Google Sketchup, a free CAD program.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll43/Jackpine_Savage/D2X_00021024x680.jpg
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll43/Jackpine_Savage/D2X_00041024x680.jpg
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll43/Jackpine_Savage/D2X_0007680x1024.jpg
Link Posted: 7/17/2012 3:39:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Im thinking about getting a Craftsman workbench, anyone use these for reloading?
Link Posted: 7/17/2012 4:40:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Bench

That's a lot like this set of plans which I based my current bench on.  The only problem with it is that it is only 48" wide, and I have decided that I need a bigger bench, at least 72" wide...
Link Posted: 7/17/2012 5:01:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Where did you get that light?

Does it have a magnifying glass in it?  

I can't find any type of lamp w/ a arm like that anymore?
Link Posted: 7/17/2012 6:39:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/17/2012 6:53:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Im thinking about getting a Craftsman workbench, anyone use these for reloading?
If you wish an answer, post a link.

Otherwise it's hard to know what bench you mean.

This one or the 8' bench

http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-6%27-workbench-black/p-00910138000P?vName=Storage+%26+Garage&cName=Garage+%26+Work+Area&sName=Work+Benches&prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=L2

ETA: fixed link
Link Posted: 7/17/2012 7:08:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bench

That's a lot like this set of plans which I based my current bench on.  The only problem with it is that it is only 48" wide, and I have decided that I need a bigger bench, at least 72" wide...

I'm stuck in my apartment till Oct. Just started recently reloading so its all I can work with at the moment. (Its in my bedroom.)

I'm going to get a house when my lease is up. Then Ill go wider. Much wider.
Link Posted: 7/17/2012 7:12:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/17/2012 7:47:31 PM EDT
[#29]
I fixed the link
Link Posted: 7/17/2012 8:11:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I fixed the link

You can build something more sturdy for less money. I built mine from plans found here. I modified them a bit for my available space, and materials already on hand, but it turned out excellent. I'm modifying it as my needs develop, but I couldn't be happier. I would recommend going a bit thicker than 3/4" for the work surface.
Link Posted: 7/17/2012 9:13:53 PM EDT
[#31]
I've searched every where for work bench plans both on and off line.

No luck finding plans for a table stout enough to support an elephant.

Table will be center room, no drawers, no shelf.  Legs and table top, that's it.

Have settled on sub framing top.

Top be one 3/4" sheet plywood, one sheet 3/4 dense particle borad with white laminate.

Both boards trimmed to protect and cover edgess.

I may cut 1/4 steel plates to bolt directly under each press so bolts can't work inside wood tops.

Legs and center beam be 3, 2x4s glued together and planed.

Beyond this I'm still thinking.
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 12:58:08 PM EDT
[#32]
I designed my own bench on CAD (google sketchup) and it has worked out extremely well.  The design is extremely modular which allows it to be transported when I move (military TDY) and I can fit the whole bench in the back of my 4runner.

If you want the plans, I can send the sketchup file which also includes the cutout diagrams for the 4x8's

Link Posted: 7/18/2012 3:40:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Your sketchup fu is strong...

I am in the process of designing one via skeychup with matal legs and adjustable feet.
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 7:51:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hot link:

It's a very SOLID bench. Nothing moves or shakes. I built one two years ago with some minor changes.
1) All dimensions increased to eliminate any excess wood going to scrap (except the 4X4's. Decide on the height before you start).
2) Skipped all the sliding doors. Half of the 1/4" sheet of plywood is fastened as the back of the shelves. The other half is hinged at the top to cover the front.

I also use this bench and also didn't bother with the doors on the shelving unit.  

I've made two of them.  The first stayed at the house when we moved.  It was too big to get out of the basement unless I took a chainsaw to it.  Lumber and hardware should run $200-$300.  It's rock solid and has plenty of storage.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2012 3:50:04 PM EDT
[#35]
1911smith, it sounds like you are going for something similar to the simplified version of this bench.  I just used two legs instead of three, and it doesn't move when full length sizing .50BMG on a center mounted press.  Mine just has a smooth top so I can clamp my various oak mounted tools where I need them.
Link Posted: 7/21/2012 2:52:00 AM EDT
[#36]
I've been using Simpson Strong Ties for benches and utility shelving. These things are rock solid and screw together, making it easy to dismantle.
Link
Link Posted: 7/21/2012 2:58:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I just completed this bench a couple months ago. Actually it isn't done yet, I plan on adding drawers, maybe this winter.

The top is two layers of 3/4" MDF, with 1/4" hardboard on top of that. I sealed the top with clear polyurethane. The pros for MDF is that it is very uniform, hard, and heavy. You do want to protect the edges to keep it from chipping. I wrapped oak trim around and attached it with pocket screws.

Like someone else mentioned my bench is built like a deck. Basically two ladder assemblies bolted to the wall on one side with legs on the other.

If anyone is interested I have the plans in Google Sketchup, a free CAD program.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll43/Jackpine_Savage/D2X_00021024x680.jpg
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll43/Jackpine_Savage/D2X_00041024x680.jpg
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll43/Jackpine_Savage/D2X_0007680x1024.jpg

Wow!

Your gun room rocks.

I particularly like the island that allows loading to be compeletely separate from cleaning / smithing.
I need to upgrade my cave.
Link Posted: 7/21/2012 3:02:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I've searched every where for work bench plans both on and off line.

No luck finding plans for a table stout enough to support an elephant.

Table will be center room, no drawers, no shelf.  Legs and table top, that's it.

Have settled on sub framing top.

Top be one 3/4" sheet plywood, one sheet 3/4 dense particle borad with white laminate.

Both boards trimmed to protect and cover edgess.

I may cut 1/4 steel plates to bolt directly under each press so bolts can't work inside wood tops.

Legs and center beam be 3, 2x4s glued together and planed.

Beyond this I'm still thinking.

Look in the "ABC's of Reloading"... Build the bottom part of that bench... Leave the shelving top portion off.

You could park a car on top of mine.  I intended to anchor it to the wall after I built it for more support, but it hasn't been necessary.  The bench hasn't moved even resizing M-2 fired .50bmg brass.
Link Posted: 7/21/2012 1:31:26 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

These are the plans I used for my reloading bench. I had to scale down a little bit to fit in the space I had.

Same here. Changed it up a bit, but it's a great set of free plans.

Hot link:

I also use this bench and also didn't bother with the doors on the shelving unit.

I've made two of them. The first stayed at the house when we moved. It was too big to get out of the basement unless I took a chainsaw to it. Lumber and hardware should run $200-$300. It's rock solid and has plenty of storage.

I based my bench plans on http://www.shotgunsportsmagazine.com/downloads/bench_plans.pdf but modified it to take advantage of some drawer units that I had lying around.  Someday, I will get around to making a shelving unit fro the top.

The insert system I used is based on http://www.rifleshootermag.com/2011/01/04/ammunition_benchs_022607/.

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m595/gto688/Reloading%20forum/DSCN0630.jpg

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m595/gto688/Reloading%20forum/DSCN0626.jpg

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m595/gto688/Reloading%20forum/DSCN0627.jpg

It's really solid!!!

GTO688
Link Posted: 7/22/2012 3:26:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

interesting mounts for the presses themselves
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 4:26:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow!

Your gun room rocks.

I particularly like the island that allows loading to be compeletely separate from cleaning / smithing.
I need to upgrade my cave.

Thanks. It seems to be working pretty well. I wish the room was a couple feet wider, but it works.

A bench that you can walk around is nice for working on rifles. The one in the pics is a Craftsman bench. Short term I think I'm going to build a torsion box top to raise the working surface up about 8", long term I'd like to build one a bit narrower and with more drawers.

The press mount I dreamed up. I wanted to be able to adjust the height and swap out presses and a vise. It is rock solid, automotive hitch tubing, 3/8" plate.

Link Posted: 7/23/2012 4:56:24 AM EDT
[#42]
Those press mounts are awesome. I want to do something like that once I retire and have a place to do a permanent setup.

Here's the bench my dad and I built in his workshop. It's a full 4x8 size catch table for the table saw, but it's 2 layers thick on top for working and rolls around on locking casters. It weighs around 500-600 lbs with the drawers filled. I've got T-nuts set under the surface so I can mount/dismount the press quickly with a drill and machine screws. Don't mind the TV, it's broken.

My personal setup is more humble since I move so much. (and don't have it at all right now since I'm in Korea)

Link Posted: 7/23/2012 5:06:41 PM EDT
[#43]
A lot will depend on your dedicated space...

Remember the sturdier the bench the happier you will be.

*My bench is 2x8 length and width, and I build it for standing height. I also have a hi-back tall stool to sit on when I dont want to stand.
*My bench top is one sheet of 3/4 ply-wood that I split in half to 2x8 then I glue and screw both pieces together to get a 1 1/2 inch thick table top.
*Then the rest is 2x4 construction frame work I glue and screw 2x4 pieces together to get 4x4 legs.  When I attach the bench top I leave a  inch lip on the front for hang over.
*I have one storage shelf on the bottom for bulk storage of items.
*Since I use my load bench to also work on my firearms and my fishing reels. I use a Craftsman mechanics roll around tool chest to organize my dies,tools, equipment needed,etc. to hand load. It's very convienent for me keeps things tidy,findable and rolls out of the way.
Link Posted: 7/24/2012 9:58:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Check your local office depot.
Link Posted: 7/25/2012 10:07:38 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Bought it at Harbor Freight, and yes it has a magnifying glass in it.

Link Posted: 7/25/2012 10:23:46 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hot link:

I built this one, less the cabinetry because I wanted to use the table for more than just reloading.  Everything is glue and screwed.  The one modification I made was to add a 2x4 from front to back in the middle of the table to stiffen the plywood.  Not that it needs it, but I didn't want the plywood to ever warp out of the plane.  It's rock solid!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top