Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/28/2012 9:21:57 PM EDT
Bullets made out of silver are a specialty item that really isn't offered. You would have to contact someone who not only reloads, but also casts their own bullets. And, if you were to truly want to fire one, you would have to be certain of the silver content first, a hard cast with low silver content would be so hard it could conceivably damage a firearm.

From this site:

Is silver actually so hard that it would damage the weapon, or is the poster talking about a lead/silver amalgam?

I'm thinking that a silver core with a lead sabot would be the answer.
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 9:37:38 PM EDT
[#1]
moh hardness of copper 2.5 moh hardness of silver 2.5

moh harness of lead 1.5

most jacketed bullets are jacketed with copper.

copper and silver seem to have similar hardneses (according to wikipedia)

a silver jacketed lead bullet would seem to be an excellent choice for killing wear-wolfs or vampires depending on the particular work of fiction you are referencing.

a pure silver bullet or a silver core bullet would probably be too light or if it were made to the right weight very long.

you basically got it backwards

swaging jackets from silver sheet wouldn't be all that hard the suggestions on that site for plating would also be a good choice.

I am really curious why you ask?

If it's a display piece then firing them shouldn't be considered but functionally there is nothing to warrant the cost over a copper plated or jacketed bullet.
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 10:14:52 PM EDT
[#2]
With the heat involved casting silver, turning them on a lathe (and reclaiming chips) might be a more viable option.
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 10:26:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

moh harness of lead 1.5

a silver jacketed lead bullet would seem to be an excellent choice for killing wear-wolfs or vampires depending on the particular work of fiction you are referencing.

a pure silver bullet or a silver core bullet would probably be too light or if it were made to the right weight very long.

swaging jackets from silver sheet wouldn't be all that hard the suggestions on that site for plating would also be a good choice.

If it's a display piece then firing them shouldn't be considered but functionally there is nothing to warrant the cost over a copper plated or jacketed bullet.

I live next to a cemetery... and there are some open holes there...
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 10:32:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

moh harness of lead 1.5

TAG

me too!!!
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 6:03:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

moh harness of lead 1.5

Lead is only 10% heavier than silver. Silver is about 10.5% heavier than copper and solid copper bullets work fine.

a 124 grain 9 mm slug will weigh  grains when made out of silver.

a 55 grain 5.56 round will weigh 49 grains

a 437 grain 12 gauge slug will weigh 393 grains.

While it would work , it would be so expensive it makes it a futile exercise.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 6:08:23 AM EDT
[#6]
i'm surprised no one makes these even in a limited basis
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 12:54:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 12:56:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 1:13:42 PM EDT
[#9]
If they were to be pure silver, or high content silver alloys, rather than silver jackets, the main problem you'd have is sizing them, as cast silver shrinks substantially. Not enough to be a problem with artisnal "organic looking" jewelry, or in use as solder, but for bullets, if you used a steel or iron mold normally used for lead, the bullets may well just slide down the bore, and have low velocities and very poor accuracy, and probably won't engrave into the rifling well for spin, if at all.  

A lot of silver casting that requires more precision is done in molds made of materials that have higher expansion coefficients, so that they expand either from pre-heating, or just from the molten silver pour, then shrink proportionally with the silver so the end result is closer to what was desired.

So you'd need molds that were oversize somewhat, and then one hell of a swagnig press that was strong enough to squeeze solid silver bullets down to size.

I'd say the idea to turn silver bullets on a lathe might be the easiest and the most precise. And I suppose you could try for long curly unbroken chips to make recovery/recycling easier.

That said, it ALL seems like a PITA, and buying them from a skilled silversmith might just be the easiest way to go.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 10:52:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

moh harness of lead 1.5

TAG  

me too!!!

Link Posted: 6/30/2012 2:44:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Either move further or. Do your range sketch including yardages to large objects.  Keep it right next to the front door.
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 7:28:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 7:32:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Well open graves... I think you need to worry abouy capacity and head shots for zombie. Must incapacitate the brain.

Maybe just try some zmax
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 12:55:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

moh harness of lead 1.5

With copper (actually brass*) jacketed bullets, the jacket metal is engraved by the rifling, but the lead core deforms as well, so the hardness of the jacket is only one factor involved.  I can see a silver jacket on a lead bullet being doable, but since silver is both quite expensive and quite a lot more challenging to work than lead, a solid silver bullet would most likely not be particularly worthwhile.

*Check out this link.  While there are some makers who talk a lot about their jackets, just about every commercial jacket is a mixture of copper and zinc, with "cartridge brass" being 30% zinc and 70% copper, and "gilding metal," the historically most common jacket material being 5% zinc and 95% copper.
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 10:25:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Well open graves... I think you need to worry abouy capacity and head shots for zombie. Must incapacitate the brain.

Maybe just try some zmax

Well you see, I have a theory (which I've posted previously) that zombies and vampires are closely related- rather more closely than we can appreciate.

In her book "Vampire: The Complete Guide to the World of the Undead," Manuela Dunn Maschetti illustrates a type of vampiric creature called a Revenant–– whose appearance and behaviour matches that of a zombie. The revenant is an undead who has not been fully "changed" into a full vampire... so he decomposes.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 4:56:44 AM EDT
[#16]
No sure how much silver content your looking for but http://www.laser-cast.com/AboutLaserCast.html has silver in there cast bullet metal.  I shot thousands of there bevel base 158 gr. SWC bullets in my Ruger BH 357 Mag. before I started casting my own.

There bullets are a bit harder than most commercial cast bullets in the 20+ BHN range and can be fired at full house mag. velocity with no leading issues as long as the bullet fits your bore.  The ones I shot and still have some of measured .359 which is the dia. my Ruger likes best.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 10:55:46 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Holy water is easier to come by, iron work well on vampires and demons also.

I'm curious as to how bad silver would "silver" a barrel and how you would clean it out.

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 7:06:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
http://bulletforge.com/

Try here.

Sorry we are not accepting orders at this time
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 7:29:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 7:49:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top