Author
Military
Posted: 6/17/2012 8:51:26 PM EST
I have a Lee 300 Blackout full-length resizing die.

I also have some factory primed brass. I want to run this brass through the sizing die without depriming it. It appears though that the decapping pin and the next expander are permanently stuck together. Am I just not pulling hard enough?

Or do I need to buy another brand die to do this?
morrisammo_1
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/17/2012 9:05:04 PM EST

Originally Posted By gasdoc09:
I have a Lee 300 Blackout full-length resizing die.

I also have some factory primed brass. I want to run this brass through the sizing die without depriming it. It appears though that the decapping pin and the next expander are permanently stuck together. Am I just not pulling hard enough?

Or do I need to buy another brand die to do this?

Unless you have something very different,, un do the pin,,, nut clamp,,, that holds the pin ,,,, take it all the way out,, and the pin,,, stays in it,,, sooner or later you will break a pin,, so buy some extras!!! they are cheap,, I order form Lee get 5 at a time,,

Author of: The 3 Gun Multi-Gun Report

Everything you need to know to get in to the sport of 3 Gun!

morrisammo.com
dryflash3
Global Warming Hoax Skeptic before it was cool
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/18/2012 9:42:59 AM EST
The decapping pin is pressed in.

If you remove it, you will destroy this press fit.

You can put it back in after removal, but it won't stay in for long.

Selling agent for Algores carbon credit scam.

Shooting and Reloading, one hobby feeds the other.

Minuteman419
I Love ARF Gals!
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/18/2012 10:20:34 AM EST
No way to slide the rod up enough to not deprime on the new Lee dies?

You can heat the end of the rod slightly to remove the pin if you must, I've done this.

Danny
Watch yer cornhole, the gubment likes the back door.كافر
Obo2
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/18/2012 10:24:28 AM EST
not sure of your exact lee die but my lee fl sizing die i can just back the rod out and it seems the cases still hit the expander.
Coop4570
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/18/2012 11:02:09 AM EST
Originally Posted By Obo2:
not sure of your exact lee die but my lee fl sizing die i can just back the rod out and it seems the cases still hit the expander.

this^

raise the decap rod high enough so that the press bottoms out without the pin contacting the primer, but not so high that the expander ball doesn't fully pass through the case neck.

eddiesar15
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/18/2012 11:27:28 AM EST
Originally Posted By Coop4570:
Originally Posted By Obo2:

this^

raise the decap rod high enough so that the press bottoms out without the pin contacting the primer, but not so high that the expander ball doesn't fully pass through the case neck.

+1
Counselor
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/18/2012 4:35:04 PM EST
I had this problem when I went to deprime some berdan cases with my Lee dies. Lee puts the large diameter of the expander shaft high in the die, which is probably a good idea since then the case is better centered and supported by the full length die. However, if you raise the expander/decapping shaft enough so that it will not decap the case, there is no clearance for the case to proceed up into the die. It is stopped by the expander. The decapping pin is not really removable from the expander/decapping shaft. Everyone else's dies allow the decapping pin to be removed from the expander system.

What did I do? Ordered some extra expander/decapper shafts from Lee and ground the pin off the end of them. They only cost about $4.00 each and I ordered for 4 different sets of dies that I intended to load Berdan for. Ground the pins off today. BTW, they are hard and I could not do much with them with a file or a hack saw blade. Power grinding wheel did the trick.
dryflash3
Global Warming Hoax Skeptic before it was cool
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/18/2012 6:53:58 PM EST

Originally Posted By Counselor:
I had this problem when I went to deprime some berdan cases with my Lee dies. Lee puts the large diameter of the expander shaft high in the die, which is probably a good idea since then the case is better centered and supported by the full length die. However, if you raise the expander/decapping shaft enough so that it will not decap the case, there is no clearance for the case to proceed up into the die. It is stopped by the expander. The decapping pin is not really removable from the expander/decapping shaft. Everyone else's dies allow the decapping pin to be removed from the expander system.

What did I do? Ordered some extra expander/decapper shafts from Lee and ground the pin off the end of them. They only cost about $4.00 each and I ordered for 4 different sets of dies that I intended to load Berdan for. Ground the pins off today. BTW, they are hard and I could not do much with them with a file or a hack saw blade. Power grinding wheel did the trick.

I bought a RCBS die set to load Berdan 7.62x39 Berdan cases and removed the decapping pin.

The decapping pin can be seen in the box on the left.

Good idea and cheaper to cut pin off and get another decapping stem.
Selling agent for Algores carbon credit scam.

Shooting and Reloading, one hobby feeds the other.

gasdoc09
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/19/2012 2:57:35 AM EST
I tried adjusting the entire decapping/expander assembly but didn't have any luck getting it just right ... just torqued the pin off. I deprime everything in a Lee universal decapper anyway. Problem solved.
Minuteman419
I Love ARF Gals!
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/19/2012 3:08:52 AM EST
Just an fyi about something I found out years ago.

That pin in the Lee die is/was the same pin as in a domestic automotive u-joint needle bearing.

I broke one, lightly heated the end of the stem and it popped out, slid the needle bearing in the stem while it was still warm.

Working to this day.

Danny
Watch yer cornhole, the gubment likes the back door.كافر
1873spfd
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/19/2012 9:15:09 AM EST
Order another expander from Lee. Grind the tip off the one you are using now.
0hw0rd
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/19/2012 9:42:44 AM EST
I also cut the pin off and cleaned it up nicely. I ordered a few extras from lee and keep those on hand. I recently switched to a Forster sizing die and the pin is removable, which is nice.
Espos1111
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/20/2012 6:58:08 PM EST
The new pins are one piece. I think they changed sometime late last year. I just ground the pin off just leaving the expander ball.